PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion on this lighting fixture

philip5510
07/18/2006, 05:16 PM
Aqua Medic Oean Light T5 Combo

48" 2 x 250W Metal Halide
2 x 54W T5 Blue

http://bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/product_info.php?id=1954

my tank is a 90gallon and im planning on making it a SPS reef.

What is your opinion on this light?

jciotti
07/18/2006, 07:55 PM
I have used this fixture, no complaint at all very clean look my only suggestion would be to change the bulbs to the phnx 14k after your bulbs burn out.

bureau13
07/18/2006, 09:07 PM
I have the 4x250HQI/4x39T5 72" version of this, and I've been very happy with it. I had one problem...the plug and socket at the ballast melted for one of the HQI circuits. Inside the ballast box everything looks great. To AM's credit, they're sending me replacement parts (I didn't want to send the whole thing back to them). I don't know about changing the bulbs...I think that's a personal taste thing. The color temp of the "AB 10000" bulbs, oddly enough, is supposed to be about 13K. I'm guessing, from the way people talk about the Phoenix 14K that their actual color temp is much bluer. I do know that, even with the T5s, the tank lighting looks bright white when everything is lit.

jds

philip5510
07/18/2006, 10:06 PM
2 questions.

is it enough for sps?

do i need more atinic lighting to show off the corals colors or are the 2 t5's enough?

McCrary
07/18/2006, 10:36 PM
That was the lighting fixture I debated over for quite some time. It will be enough for SPS corals. The T5's should be enough actinic for supplementation, but if you are looking for a blue lighting effect than you may want to switch out the bulbs to 14K.

philip5510
07/18/2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks

I think i will get these. But are there any other similar lights that i should look at?

McCrary
07/18/2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_aqua_medic_ocean_light_t5_combo_series.asp?CartId=

Try this, the light is $160 cheaper.

philip5510
07/18/2006, 11:32 PM
its the same light!

philip5510
07/20/2006, 07:50 AM
which one should i get?

Aqua Medic Ocean Light T5/Metal Halide Combo - 48 inch 2 x 250 Watt MH + 2 x 54 Watt T5 Fixture - Black
Item Code: AQ1831
Email for Availability. $639.00

48 inch GIESEMANN 230 T5 2 x 250 Watt + 2 x 54 Watt - Black
Item Code: GL1241
Usually ships the same business day. $989.00

Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Pro, 2x250W HQI Lamp + 2x96W CF Lamps Sq. Pin + 4x1W LED
Item Code: ES53526
Usually ships the same business day. $999.99

horkn
07/20/2006, 08:25 AM
if you dont mind spending the extra money, get the geiseman.

geiseman knows a lot more about t5ho than aquamedic for one. Also, geiseman is top notch quality.

dont even consider the coralife, since it has PC instead of t5ho.

bureau13
07/20/2006, 08:38 AM
What kind of metal halide bulbs/ballasts come with the Giesemann? The AM has AB Aqualine HQI bulbs on an HQI ballast, so if teh Giesemann has SE bulbs or an electronic ballast w/ HQI bulbs, the output will be a bit less (it depends on your tank whether this is a good or a bad thing).

Not sure what to say about the T5 comment...what exactly does Giesemann know about T5s that AM doesn't? I don't think this is rocket science here, and the one major difference in good T5-only fixtures as opposed to those that aren't so good is that the bulbs have individual reflectors. This isn't an issue here, since both fixtures have single T5 bulbs on each side, and so naturally have individual reflectors.

jds

horkn
07/20/2006, 12:54 PM
well, consider that geiseman is in the top 3 for companies that know their t5ho reef lighting, and aquamedic can barely be remembered is one thing to consider.. as far as the t5ho part of the fixture. i dont know what they use for ballasts on the MH part.

philip5510
07/20/2006, 01:47 PM
thanks everyone. im going to buy the geisman light.

bureau13
07/20/2006, 03:21 PM
What is that supposed to mean? I know Giesemann is a top lighting manufacturer, but statements like this are completely meaningless as to the relative quality of the lighting. If what you're really after is "quality T5 lighting" whatever that is, then look at Sunlight Supply. Their T5 reflectors are widely known to be top notch....again though, if you're talking single strips of supplemental lighting on a 250W HQI pendant, its kind of like buying a car because you like the brand of tires it comes with. I don't understand those priorities at all.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7779581#post7779581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
well, consider that geiseman is in the top 3 for companies that know their t5ho reef lighting, and aquamedic can barely be remembered is one thing to consider.. as far as the t5ho part of the fixture. i dont know what they use for ballasts on the MH part.

horkn
07/20/2006, 05:12 PM
sls t5 reflectors are not "top notch". they suffice.

the reflector is the most important part of a proper t5ho setup. bulbs are arguably the next most important, and geiseman makes great bulbs.

i bet the aquamedic reflector is a flat piece of aluminum, or something similar.

if you want to relate this to cars, i can do that as well.

why would one buy a ferrari with yugo motor in it?

bureau13
07/20/2006, 08:52 PM
You think the reflector on your SUPPLEMENTAL lighting is like the motor in your car? You really think that? So I guess the poor souls who are running straight metal halides with no supplemental lighting are running the equivalent of bicycles next to that Ferrari of yours? :D

I'm curious about your opinions on both the Giesemann bulbs as well as the Sunlight Supply reflectors. When I was trying to decide on lighting for my tank I saw tons of posts from people complaining about most T5 actinics/blues/etc...Giesemann included...while lamenting the absence of a T5 offering from URO (I think that was it...became UV Lighting). The other thing I heard was a LOT of recommendations for Sunlight Supply Tek lights, due to their oustanding T5 reflectors. I don't own either, mind you, but I find it interesting that your views contradict everything else I've read. Any links to test results?

The AM reflector is not a flat piece of aluminum, it appears roughly parabolic, but like I said...the supplemental lights are just that...supplemental. For what its worth, I chose the AM because they are the only one I saw that offered a 4x250W HQI configuration. The only thing I wish were different is that I would prefer the supplemental lights were in two rows of two, so I could experiment with, say, half and half Ocean Blues and Actinics. The Sfiligoi that I also looked at had that, but were pricey and didn't have the 4x250s.

jds

Ewan
07/20/2006, 09:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7779581#post7779581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn

What is this 'top 3' from?

I own a Giesemann and an AB MH fixture, and they're both excellent fixtures. In my case, the AB has a better reflector than the Giesemann hammertone reflector. I've also done a lot of reading in my search for t5 reflectors, and the icecap and SLS reflectors are second to none. AB and Giesemann both produce excellent products. They both also have very diverse product lines... so much that the comparison between the 2 is difficult. There's economy models and top-end models. Which 2 models are you comparing?

And the Giesemann is certainly not doing anything cutting edge. They simply have a decent product with an excellent housing, with respect to fit and finish. A retro-fit setup with a luminarc 3 reflector, and SLS reflectors would blow most high end lighting fixtures away. The positive side to many of these fixture is aesthetics alone.

philip5510
07/20/2006, 11:20 PM
cmon people i need a verdict!!!

Fliger
07/21/2006, 12:38 AM
Do not buy the Giesemann. Both Loweryster and I have owned the unit. Its a nice light but the fatal flaw is that the cavity that holds the MH bulbs also holds the T5. Plus the T5 tubes are recessed too deep to give any effect. It will help offset, but when you run the T5 only, you will barely see it. The problem with sharing the same space is that the T5's will not burn as bright, be subject to INTENSE heat - and burn out/flicker/fail.

I've owned Giesemann units (Novas) and been very happy with them - but was super surprised they came out with this design. AFAIK, its the only lighting fixture putting all the bulbs together for good reason!

I have the Aquamedic Sunlight NG and am very happy with it. Its $1,199 at Custom Aquatics. I believe its the nicest 4xT5/MH fixture out there under a month's rent. ;-) Otherwise the Ocean Light is a decent fixture. If you want the best and cost isn't an issue, you can look at Sfiligoi or Elos fixtures.

Not so sure about the Giesemann/Best T5 comment either. Their multi-T5 only pendants don't have individual reflectors - just one big long one. Similar to the Nova which some folks don't even consider a "real T5".

The Eco sure looks nice though, my wife liked it. ;-)

Fliger
07/21/2006, 12:39 AM
BTW here is a pic of the Sunlight NG. The big drawback is the internal ballast, I had to reinforce my ceiling to hang it

http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/images/lighting/aquasunlightNG.gif

bureau13
07/21/2006, 01:40 AM
I don't know if I had to, but I reinforced mine just for the Ocean Light. I wonder why they put the ballast inside there? I guess it makes for a clean install. Do you use all T5s the same, or have you experimented with mixing and matching colors?

Philip5510, to keep this sort of on track here...based on what Fliger just described, I definitely wouldn't get the Giesemann. Horkn seems to like it though, maybe they have a different design out now. I like the AM Ocean Light, if you want more T5 Fliger's Sunlight looks great. Another halide/T5 combo pendant to look at is the Maristar by Sunlight Supply. I know, I know...way too many choices!

jds

mavgi
07/21/2006, 01:59 AM
i have the aquamedic with the ab 10k bulb i want to change the bulb and i want to know what will be a better choice ;

xm 250watt 10k or the ab 250watt 10k.

thanks

michael

philip5510
07/21/2006, 06:48 PM
Guys i really want to get the geissman lighting system because i am getting a really good deal from my lfs. Is the geisman so bad?

and will this light show off the colors of my fish and corals or do i need a different light for that?

bureau13
07/21/2006, 08:03 PM
They're pretty widely known as one of the high-end lighting companies. I'm personally a bit surprised at some of the things that Fliger found with that particular light. I'm sure it will be fine for showing off your fish and corals in all their glory. That will be very bulb dependent, and if you don't like the results you can always change out the bulbs. That said, see if you can get your LFS to set it up over a tank with similar livestock as your tank if possible. Get a look at it first hand, even pictures of it working won't be the same as seeing it in person. It all comes down to how good a deal you're getting and whether you like the results.

jds

philip5510
07/21/2006, 09:29 PM
im getting 200$ off the MSRP. is their a certain bulb the is widely regarded as having the best results?

Ewan
07/21/2006, 09:54 PM
Actually, the Giesemann bulbs that should be included with your setup are among the best.

It really depends on what you want to see for color.