PDA

View Full Version : Tang Issues

vettech28
07/18/2006, 12:45 PM
I have tried several types of Tangs in my tank and they have all perished. They seem to starve to death no matter what I offer them. I have had a Yellow, Purple, and a Naso. I have read all the recommended feeding criteria and I still fail. They are so beautiful and would like one, but I seem to be wasting time and money on them. So my question is #1 what else can I do to ensure they eat well, and #2 what would be the best one for my 72 gal tank?

Asuran
07/18/2006, 12:48 PM
how long is your 72gallon? are you getting the fish all from the same source? are you water paramaters ok? but aside from the more standard questions... do you observe the fish before purchasing? and also have you requested to see that they eat before buying?

edit: or how about a kole tang?

techigirl78
07/18/2006, 12:52 PM
Also, have you QT'd these fish? On a side note, stick to the yellow if you try again, a Naso will get much too big and I think a purple would become too agressive.

Krazy
07/18/2006, 01:07 PM
I've had my yellow tang in my 72 gallon bow for about 3-4 months now, he loves the tank, pleny of room to swim with my rock design and he gets fed very well, he also loves his nori !!!

I'd try another yellow tang...

whats your water like ?

LivinThaLyfe33
07/18/2006, 01:10 PM
id recommend QTing him for a week in a long 30 gal. tank(as long as its small enough) and also observe and ask to see them eat before purchasing...if they eat then put them in the QT but himself andoffer him a variety of different courses of foods before placing him into the main tank to ensure that he will at least eat SOMETHING

techigirl78
07/18/2006, 01:14 PM
What have you tried feeding them?

vettech28
07/18/2006, 01:29 PM
Wow! Ok, my parameters are all A-Ok. I check them like crazy and I even took a sample to my LFS to see if they could find anything and they couldn't. My tank is 48 inches long with about 125 lbs of rock. I have tried to feed them Nori, Red & green seaweed sheets, algae flakes/pellets, frozen, you name it. I tried adding garlic. Maybe my placement of food was wrong? I put it on a clip and tried to put it where theywere hanging out but they ignor it. I don't have anywhere to q-tine so I was told to put the fish on hold for a few weeks at the store to make sure they are kosher. I never asked them to feed it though. So another yellow eh? Can I get more than one if the first one makes it?

LivinThaLyfe33
07/18/2006, 01:33 PM
2 tangs is pushing it for 48 inches...but we NEED your test results...a-ok doesnt cut it...yes go withthe yellow because they are the cheapest...if u dont have a QT tank you should really find one or ask to see the fish eat at the store...what is your pH Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite/SG

LivinThaLyfe33
07/18/2006, 01:34 PM
temp would be good to know too...as well as the temp/SG/and pH at the LFS

techigirl78
07/18/2006, 01:40 PM
Garlic also is inticing for fish. When giving Nori to a new fish, put it on a clip towards the back of the tank where it is hanging out.

I wouldn't put two tangs in a 72, but that is just my opinion.

Krazy
07/18/2006, 01:51 PM
walmart has 10 gallon tanks for 10 bucks !

they make an excellent QT tank, I actually bought 1 for a QT if needed and another to make my nano tank :)

I feed my yellow and all my fish a combo of formula 1, formula 2 and prime reef flakes mixed together, and also a home made frozen food with a bunch of goodies mixed in, nori, squid, pellet, cyclopeez etc... all of my fish go NUTS ...

LivinThaLyfe33
07/18/2006, 01:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7765829#post7765829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Krazy K
and also a home made frozen food with a bunch of goodies mixed in, nori, squid, pellet, cyclopeez etc... all of my fish go NUTS ...

i wish i could do that..everyone says the fish go nuts but i dont have the time to make that stuff

Asuran
07/18/2006, 02:06 PM
also initially feeding from a clip may not work... i have read a few threads where people are having problems getting their fish to eat off of a clip. a lot of times new fish need to be shown by existing fish or try rubberbanding it to a piece of LR so that it may be more natural for them.

one last thing i guess would be your accumulation procedure that hasnt been covered...