PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up my Typhoon III RO/Di in the basement

Ocicat
07/17/2006, 09:58 PM
I need to connect my RO/Di unit to a water pipe in my basement. I realized tonight that the brass, piercing clamp that came with the unit is only designed to attach to the thinner water line that is found beneath a sink - as opposed to the fatter, round copper pipe that runs through the basement. The clamp won't fit around the pipe. Has anyone else run into this problem, and what did you do? Any suggestions?

beaniebeagle
07/17/2006, 10:17 PM
garden hose adapter...screws onto my faucet in the basement

Ocicat
07/17/2006, 10:26 PM
I do have one of those that came with it, but the faucet is on the other side of the basement from where I'd like to have the unit (and where the drain is). I'd rather find a way to connect it to the pipe - if possible!

Mike75
07/17/2006, 10:32 PM
Maybe try a different saddle valve? Mine fit on the pipe in the basement without any problems. What size is your pipe?

Or I suppose you could do it the way you're supposed to - cut the pipe, and add in a T that goes to a 1/4" fitting. ;)

AZDesertRat
07/17/2006, 11:45 PM
You can get different sized saddle valves at any hardware store.

Ocicat
07/18/2006, 10:21 AM
The saddle valve that came with it is for use with the drain line - I can use one just as well for the intake?

I don't think that what came with it for intake is a saddle valve, is it? It is brass with a screw that you turn to pierce the pipe and clamp onto it.

Mike75
07/18/2006, 10:41 AM
What you call a "brass piercing clamp" i've seen referred to as a "self piercing saddle valve". The ones that clamp over the drain line don't normally have valves, and are usually referred to as "drain saddles".

It sounded from your first post that you were having issues with the supply side of the RO, is that correct?

uf-engineer
07/18/2006, 11:17 AM
I would not trust a tapping saddle or sleeve. I would cut the copper and solder in a tee, valve and connection.

If you insist on a tapping saddle check this out
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/fittings.htm

scroll down there is a tapping saddle good on pipe up to 1” in diameter for $4.

Ocicat
07/18/2006, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7764914#post7764914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uf-engineer
I would not trust a tapping saddle or sleeve. I would cut the copper and solder in a tee, valve and connection.

:eek:

Is nothing simple in this hobby??

Mike75
07/18/2006, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7765006#post7765006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ocicat
:eek:

Is nothing simple in this hobby??

I mentioned the "right way" in my first post, even though mine has a saddle valve too. I think the potential problem is that it could leak around the gasket over time, and then you'd have to find a shutoff that is before the adapter. I've had mine running for about 2 years, and haven't had a leak. I haven't really heard of anyone else having a leak either, so I'd think you'd be fairly safe. (I'm sure they do happen though)