PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old 155 and loving it

patent attorney
05/23/2002, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone!!! I am completely new to the saltwater scene. I have a 155, wet/dry filtration, protein skimmer, bio balls, JBJ lighting with fans (2 hoods), about 70lbs of live rock, 2 dominos, 1 yellow eyed tang, a cleaner shrimp (w/o a doubt the best investment I've made thus far, he has shed his skeleton 3 times and is getting huge, all of hte fish love him!!!), 2 clowns -oscellarus, a bubble tip anenome, a pygme angel (gorgeous little guy), a yellow tipped blue damsel, a sand-sifting gobbie (my second favorite fish!), and one fish I'm thinking of getting rid of (he is a damsel that is light greyish with 5 black stripes and the top of him is yellowish)

I bought the anenome last week and he moved around I bit. 2 days ago he found his new home and he is already growing. The live rock is gorgeous with purples and reds and pinks, etc, I even got 3 pieces of coral on one piece of live rock and they came to life when I put spectra vital in the tank.

I bought the tank as a center piece to our home and to keep my 5 month old baby occupied.

Any suggestions on what to do next?:)

Thank guys

Nanook
05/24/2002, 03:40 AM
Welcome to Reef Central

It sounds like you are well on your way, how long has your tank been going, any pictures? Here you will find a wealth of information...have fun catching the damsel;)

nanook

wickerj
05/24/2002, 08:38 AM
Suggestions on what to do next:

Sit back, have a cold one and enjoy your tank. It sounds like a nice one.

Jeff

murphq
05/24/2002, 08:45 AM
Your tank makes me jealous. Congrats.:bum:

fasteddiet
05/24/2002, 08:51 AM
Add some more corals. Try some Leathers out or some Colts. Best of luck.

Mr James
05/24/2002, 11:17 AM
What to do next?? I love spending other peoples' money!! Modify your skimmer to be more efficient - do a search on "Beckett"; get rid of the bio balls - search again; add a refugium - search again; install a closed loop for additional circulation - you guessed it, search on "closed loop"; buy some more corals and start to frag them to trade or sell.

I'm still working on the lighting and skimming portion of all that. Have fun!!

DgenR8
05/24/2002, 04:00 PM
patent attorney,
[welcome]

Looks like everyone has given some good advice in this thread. I want to second getting rid of the bio balls and upgrading the skimmer.
Best of luck in the hobby! Actually, stick around here and follow advice, you won't need luck!

patent attorney
05/25/2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone!!! I do have a question for all of you. I have what I think is an anenome, but I'm not sure. It has clear tentacles with white spots and its center seems white. It's also about the size of a silver dollar. I'll get a picture up soon. Any ideas yet?

dattack
05/26/2002, 12:02 AM
Hope it's not a huge aiptasia.:eek1:

DgenR8
05/26/2002, 07:26 AM
Dattack,
My thoughts exactly, I just didn't want to say it!

patent attorney
05/26/2002, 05:00 PM
Could it be a Curlique Anemone?

patent attorney
05/26/2002, 05:25 PM
Attached is a picture of the Curlique Anemone. Do you think it could be this instead of the dreded one you guys mentioned. It has been in hte tank about a month and has not multiplied. Tenticles are long and clear with white dots. Also, the "mouth"/body is white. I think it's either the Carribean version of your bad boy, or a Curlique Anemone.

Thought???:confused:

DgenR8
05/26/2002, 05:37 PM
I don't know counselor, The pic you posted looks different from the Aiptasia I go out of my way to get rid of, but still has that nusince anemone look to it.
I'm not sure that this curlique Anemone is any more desirable than the common Aiptasia.