PDA

View Full Version : Bulb question: Want to replace DE 150w bulb in JEBO Fixture.

hansnfrans
07/17/2006, 03:55 PM
Is it possible to use any brand of DE 150w MH bulb in JEBO's lighting fixtures. I have heard about other companies making their fixtures so that they only accept their brand of bulb. Just want to make sure that isn't the case here.

I bought this fixture used and don't know how old the bulb is. Is their any way to figure this out? I assume I need a PAR meter.

Does XM make 10K DE Bulbs?

Stupid question.....Are all DE MH bulbs considered HQI?

Thanks.

hansnfrans
07/17/2006, 08:09 PM
^^^

jcar1
07/17/2006, 09:36 PM
Hi,
Back when I was thinking about buying one of those fixtures I did alot of reading about them and alot of people changed the HQI bulbs with other brands beside Jebo/Odyssea and it worked fine. One thing you have to make sure is that you have the 150w version and not the 175w. Some how Jebo/ Odyssea make a DE 175w HQI bulb/fixture. They are the only ones that make it. If you have the 175w I wouldn't put a 150w in there.
XM does make 10k DE bulbs http://hellolights.com/15xde10hqide3.html
and I believe all DE bulbs are HQI.

hansnfrans
07/18/2006, 12:21 PM
jcar1- thanks! I have also heard about JEBO's 175w HQI. I think that they do that on the newer models. How can you tell what the wattage is if you don't have the original package or instructions? Their website is useless on this matter.

jcar1
07/18/2006, 09:31 PM
I think you have to open the ballast box and it should say on the ballast itself. Please becareful with these lights. Here is a thread about them, it's 34 pages so it's pretty long but it has alot of information about them. In fact maybe you should open it up the ballast to double check everything because some people had problems on the older models capacitor catching fire. Not trying to scare you, there was only a few cases but you can never be too careful.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488696&perpage=25&pagenumber=33

hansnfrans
07/18/2006, 10:20 PM
Thank you sooo much jcar! I had no idea about this. I really appreciate the info.

jcar1
07/18/2006, 10:31 PM
No problem Good luck with it. If you end up getting a XM 10K let me know how you like it, I am thinking about getting one also in a few months.