PDA

View Full Version : Water Exchange and Topping Off

layer3switchguy
07/16/2006, 08:40 PM
Folks,

What is the best way to handle top offs and water exchanges? I know I need to keep some premixed saltware on hand, but will I need to have it match the temp of the tank for say a 10% water exchange? Also, what equipment makes this process some what easier/automated?

Thanks,
L3

Chappy
07/16/2006, 09:01 PM
It's much better to have the temperatures the same...less stress on the fish. For top off water, its probably not a big deal because you will not be adding very much, maybe a gallon? The only thing I use that makes a water change easier is a pump to put the new water back in the tank. Othe than that, its no fun, but not too bad.

sir_dudeguy
07/16/2006, 09:03 PM
for topoff water, you dont want saltwater...you want to put freshwater back in because thats whats evaporating..the salt doesnt evap...

if you have a sump you can just pour it in there...i just get a jug of water and pour it in when needed..for water changes...i just use a python hose, and then get my premixed saltwater and pour it back in (i dont do big water changes, so i just get my big rubbermaid w/the mixed water right next to my tank, and then i get a 2 gallon jug, push it under the water in the rubbermaid so that it fills up, and then i just pour that into the tank.)

layer3switchguy
07/16/2006, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7755241#post7755241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
for topoff water, you dont want saltwater...you want to put freshwater back in because thats whats evaporating..the salt doesnt evap...

if you have a sump you can just pour it in there...i just get a jug of water and pour it in when needed..for water changes...i just use a python hose, and then get my premixed saltwater and pour it back in (i dont do big water changes, so i just get my big rubbermaid w/the mixed water right next to my tank, and then i get a 2 gallon jug, push it under the water in the rubbermaid so that it fills up, and then i just pour that into the tank.)

Ok, thanks. I'm still learning! So if I do say a weekly water exchange of 10%, that should be pre-mixed saltwater correct or not? If so, I'll need to match the SG thats in my tank along with the temp?

sir_dudeguy
07/16/2006, 10:14 PM
correct...water change water NEEDS to be premixed saltwater with the same (or VERY near) SG as the tank water...As far as temp, yes you probably should make sure that its at least close, but i usually dont lol...i just stick my finger in the new water and the tank water and compair...(i've actually got really good at recognizing if water is cooler or warmer lol...i've been w/in 2 degrees for the last few months haha)

And then the topoff water is fresh.

hth
mike

layer3switchguy
07/16/2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the info. One last thing. I will be using a sump, so I can just pour the top off and exchanged water into the sump correct? Also, I assume it's safe to remove water from the sump as part of the exchange?

Thanks!