PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Super Skimmer 220 bubble trouble

Pat_13
07/16/2006, 03:23 PM
Here is a summary of what I have tried:

7/13 9:23 AM
I got a 220G and just set it up with two problems:

The Bubble trap overflows. It is only 3 days old and I tried cleaning the filter and sponge, then it will work for about 1/2-1 hour and it starts overflowing the box again. I have also tried raising the box about 1" above the water line and that does not help either. Why is the water not flowing through the foam filter and sponge?

I also have micro-bubbles being blown by the rubber seal on the pump. I have inspected the seal and see nothing wrong with it. Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem?

Masterswimmer replied with a mod.

7/13 8:25 PM
Thanks, I will have to try that. What size is the PVC? Do you know what size and how many holes are in the last piece and is it open on the end? “just open into the foam “ Did you glue it to the CSS or just push it home? “just slid on tight” I had tried replacing the white pad with some blue/white pad I had and the bubbles would just go through. I put another one in and it would overflow

I also notice you added an extension on the air vent on the output. Did you also drill a hole in the cap on the top (what size hole)? “Yes, I drilled a tiny hole on the top cap… use the smallest size and step up if you need it.”

I found a post on the leak around the pump and added 2 layers of Teflon tape under the o-ring. No more bubbles coming out.

7/14 8:27 PM
Anyone with a 220 fix the bubble problem?
Thanks masterswimmer for your all your help.
BUT, it seems the 220’s pump is just too much. I still have micro-bubbles everywhere. They are coming out of the holes and the end of this mod. I tried making one longer and put a 90 and tubing back up above water level (to see how much pressure there was left) and wrapped the part with holes with foam/pad and it just created a fountain out the end and still bubbles.
I have tried just about every type of foam and pad combination in the trap and it overflows bubble or bubbles are forced through the bottom. I have tried adding a baffle 1/2” smaller than the box between pads to try to stop the downward flow. I have tried adding a cup to act like a diffuser and still no luck. Sometimes they are pushed up to 10” under the surface of the water through the trap.

7/16 12:18 AM
Still no luck, Ideas?
Help, anyone?

I have given up on the bubble trap. It just can't handle the flow and get rid of the bubbles. I am now trying to make a longer pipe with holes and covered with foam. I have put a 90 deg on the end to see how much pressure is still left in the pipe and still have a fountain. I will be trying a longer pipe tomorrow.

I almost forgot, I used 1" PVC.

Pat_13
07/18/2006, 09:42 AM
bump...I have still been trying with no luck. Any ideas out there?

Pat_13
07/23/2006, 08:07 PM
Any ideas? :confused:

minireefer03
07/23/2006, 08:45 PM
Are You using it on aa sump???If so and if You have room get a piece of 4 or 5 inch pvc pipe about 6-8 inches tall and put a cap on it.drill holes all the way around the pipe just below the cap to let the air vent.run the skimmer pipe under the pipe and put a 90 on it pointing up.You`ll need to use a dremel or something to cut a u out on the bottom of the pipe to run the skimmer pipe.I havent actually tried this myself but the owner of the lfs here had a problem with mb`s forming from his overflow draining into his sump and did this and it solved his problem.I`m sure it would work for a skimmer as well.Good luck.Rick.

splateee
07/24/2006, 06:14 PM
I have a CSS 125 and here is what i did to fix some similar problems.

I raised the pump up to about 3 inches below the water line.
I raised the black foam in the overflow box about an 1/8 inch above the box. The overflow box sits about a 1/4 inch above the waterline on the tank. Also trimmed the return tube so it sits about a 1/4 to 1/2 incn below the water. This took care of the microbubbles, i just have a few and it's not an issue. On the return tube i slightly enlarged the air hole by drilling it out just a bit, this helped to lessen the gurgling sound that the skimmer makes sometimes.

If the skimmer is used in the main tank it can be sensitive to the water level. I have to empty the collection cup about every other day or so and it skims like crazy when i feed the eels.