PDA

View Full Version : should I scrap the sand?? moving tank tomorrow

jsn150
07/16/2006, 02:19 PM
I am moving my 150 from Charlotte to Charleston tomorrow and am wanting to get a few opinions as I will start breaking down the tank tonight. I recently have had a cyano problem and my DSB is relatively lifeless from a sand sifting star I had at one point. I am running a ball of chaeto in the sump (that has yet to grow) a 25w UV sterilizer and am also dosing vodka on a regular basis to no avail. I have a 3-4'' sand bed that does not seem to be of any value other than for looks and with the cyano that comes and goes it looks horrible. I was told leaving the DSB in the tank as we move it will prevent a cycle (not sure how we will pick this thing up w/the sand in it as it is extremely heavy even empty) and I would like to do everything I can to keep what livestock I have. What do you think? should I scrap the DSB or keep it ?? I am all set up with new water and 10 tupperware bins ready to go into the cargo van. I will be using the current water in the tank for transport and the new water for when we get down there.

kozmo02
07/16/2006, 02:24 PM
I would recommend doing 50/50 new water to old tank water, doing all new tank water may give you some problems, you should try and use quite a bit of the old tank water when transferring it really helps things move along better. If you go BB and use all new water, you will probably still get a cycle.

I would say if you are going to go BB though, now is the time to do it, it is going to be extremely hard to move a DSB from one spot to another, and most people recommend just starting with all new sand when you move a tank anyhow, so I would either get rid of it or get new sand at the new place and maybe don't do a DSB this time if you aren't happy with it.

chris.hampton
07/16/2006, 03:14 PM
Is the vodka for you or the tank?!! If it's for the tank what does it do?