PDA

View Full Version : Sump - design & construction

mkarston
07/16/2006, 12:02 PM
So, I have completed designing and constructing the 29 gal sump for the 65 gal reef tank I’m setting up. Overall, I can say I am very happy with the way it came out. Total it only cost me $75 to build between the 29 gal tank itself, and the 5 pieces of ¼ in glass I used for the partitions, and setup exactly the way I wanted it.

So, what do you guys think? Two things in particular I have concerns about are:

1. The trickle over the bio-balls, as you can see from the pictures, I’ve built a “T” that has several ½ in holes drilled underneath it to drip over a small about of bio-balls (192 in3 = .83 Gal of bio-ball volume). The thing is that it is directly resting on top of the filter media, and I think I would like to raise it up an inch or two so it doesn’t splash as much.
2. The second thing is the return line from the Mag-5 pump back into the tank. I don’t think it is getting that great of water turn-over, maybe 250 gph. I am wondering if the 90 degree angle that is before the ball-valve is hindering its flow?

The photos are in my gallery, thanks for providing your feedback.

Craig

afex
07/16/2006, 12:39 PM
i wouldn't recommend the bioballs myself, but those are usually a matter of opinion.

one problem i do see is that your return section is extremely small (both width and height)

are you planning on having an automated topoff system? otherwise i see you topping off water alot.

Mekong
07/16/2006, 02:59 PM
I wouldnt use clear hose, see if you can get black hose or even better why not just use all pvc?

mkarston
07/16/2006, 03:12 PM
I know, I know.... bio-balls are a taboo around here. :-) I haven't ever had too much problem with them as long as you don't use too many and you rinse then from time to time. Like I said in my original post, there really isn't all that many of them to begin with.

As far as the clear tube, why is it you wouldn't recommend using this? And is it a problem with the for both the return and the drain into the fuge?

roader247
07/16/2006, 04:40 PM
mkarston clear hose can be bad because it will grow algae and will reduce you flow Good Luck