PDA

View Full Version : ****Protein Skimmer not skimming!!! Pls Help!

JeffersonReef
07/15/2006, 09:18 PM
Hello all. I have a Berlin Hang-on Protein skimmer (which is also ok for in sump), in my sump. It is rated for 25- 250 gallons. I have a 125 FOWLR. It is submerged in about 10" of water, as is the RIO 2100 I have feeding it. I am not producing any skimmate! I just discovered the air-valve screw for adjusting the skimmer, but I am not sure exactly how to change the air intake, or if perhaps my skimmer needs to be in less water. Anyone know what I can do? I am producing about an inch of skimmate every 2 or 3 months.... if even that. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

-Tony

milkshake
07/15/2006, 10:04 PM
Try opening the air valve wide open and see what happens. You may have to go with a little bit larger pump if that doesn't work.

chucksta1
07/18/2006, 03:08 AM
Berlin basics 101

There's an airline that leadsto the center of the pump. The housing is the control. Turning it controls the ammount of water entering the skimmer, and the valve controls the ammount of air being fed to the venturi. Start with the air valve fully open and then adjust the collar where the airline enters the pump. It should be marked with slashes of increasing size. Crank it open until the foam starts to rise in the tube. Adjust as necessary.

Good luck.

Chuck.