PDA

View Full Version : CSS in sump: water lvl prob (pic)

Mekong
07/15/2006, 04:26 PM
I have my CSS 220 in my sump, 20g long sump. The sump is plumbed to a 90g display and 55g fuge. I cant seem to get my skimmer to ever really be perfectly set. I gather this is because of the varying water level, is there any way I can fix this with out putting a new sump it, doing so would involve moving the display. I would put in another set of baffles but there is limited room as it is, I fear that I would have little to no room for evaporation, I already have to top off every 3 days to keep the pump from chattering despite my 2.5g kalk drip.

Here is a pic of the sump area:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49344sump.jpg

Any ideas? I really don’t want to have to move the tank or set up a HOB skimmer.

So I see two fixes, out of sump skimmer or a skimmer that doesn’t mind a sump level change from 9" to 5". For example I have considered making a very small baffled section to sit a mag7 and run that to a AquaC EV 180...

pheel
07/15/2006, 05:59 PM
I have no baffle in my sump, however the water from the display goes into a rubbermaid trash can (in the sump). The trash can overflow then to the sump. My CSS is hanging to the trash can.

Since you already have a baffle you cannot do the same exactly, but if you use a pump bigger than the skimmer pump you can keep the trash can to overflow and then having your CSS hanging on the trash can (or on a new baffle ?).

The downside is you need another pump and more electricity.

Mekong
07/15/2006, 09:12 PM
I thought of adding a new baffle, but my concern is that will leave very little room for the evaporation, I would have to top of the tank more often and its already a pain.

So I was thinking of running a external skimmer off a submerible pump, that way I could have a smaller area for the skimmer and have a larger area for the return pump, hence having to top off less often than just simply using the CSS and adding baffles.

So basicaly are there any good skimmers that I could use external that could be fed via a submersable pump. I would place the skimmer next to the sump where the wave master is. Any suggestions? Could I do that with a EV180?

pheel
07/15/2006, 10:25 PM
quick fix :) use a auto top-off

sorry I haven't used any external skimmer

Mekong
07/16/2006, 02:49 PM
Any suggestions on a external skimmer?

I might just do with the auto top off, anyone ever use the JBJ?