PDA

View Full Version : tang in hypo for 30 days and ICH today?

lagatbezan
07/13/2006, 04:42 PM
Hi,
I have a powder bule tang that has been in QT tang for more than 30 days now in hypo at 1.009 measured with a Refractometer and all of the sudden he shows signs of ICH today full blown all over his body. Also today his coloring was faded. I have done hypo several times but never had this problem!
He eats fine and is active. anyone have any advice? thanks.

Triggerfish
07/14/2006, 08:59 AM
well,,that's not a good sign. i'm going to assume it is in fact ich as that's what you're saying it is. let me ask what kind of light have you been viewing the fish with while in qt?

it needs to be very bright to see all spots that may appear..NO will not be enough.

what size is the qt and if small has there been any water evap with the warm weather? if so, that would cause the salinity to rise and possible allow a low level of c.irritans to survive.

Freed
07/14/2006, 09:02 AM
Have you added any other fish, live rock, inverts, corals or anything else that had other tank water on it? 30 days isn't the gold standard when using hypo, it's only a guide. You will want to keep the fish in hypo at least 4-6 weeks AFTER the very last spot of ich is noted.

Triggerfish
07/14/2006, 09:17 AM
sup Freed.. i thought of that as well..didnt figured he would have but, ya never know. good point.

you're also right about the 30 day..i had a fish in hypo for roughly that amount of time and a couple spots would appear.. now the problem is the treatment needs to be extended another 6 weeks.. so minimum of 10 weeks total. if anything shows up within the extended time..i think you would need to end the treatment anyway.

i would say,,unless you're determined to eradicate with hypo, i would give it 1 try and then resort to the fully proven reliable copper treatment.

lagatbezan
07/14/2006, 07:23 PM
thanks everyone for the all the replies.
I'm definitly going to keep him the QT for min another 30 days.
He is in a 30g QT and then going to be housed in my 240g. I checked the salinity everyday for evaporation so thats in check.
No other inverts or fish or anything new has been added to the tank.
I viewed him under regular light wich i can still see the spots. I will do another closer inspection tonight when i get home.
I thought the lifespan of ICH was 7-8 days on the fish and about 10 days in the water.

Freed
07/14/2006, 09:11 PM
It has a total life span of over the 18 days you mention above. Not sure exactly how long though.

tangyreefer05
07/15/2006, 06:43 PM
I have been in hypo for a little over a week and the ich was my puffer only. I dipped him several times which killed the ich, however my tank became infected. So far hypo has not killed the free swimming ich because my puffer and angel are showing ich spots today. I have a FO system so it is safe for me to treat my tank if I have to, to save the fish. I am doing hypo because I did not want to treat my tank with ich medication. However if it isnt going to be effective, I will raise my sg and add ich medicine. I will give it a few days.

Freed
07/15/2006, 07:55 PM
Fish are the ONLY thing in the tank? Hypo will kill any life on live rock and will kill inverts as well. If you truly have a fish only system then you can do hypo but you must do it for at least 4-6 weeks for it to be effective. Also stop the fresh water dips. They do more harm than good if you are doing hypo at 1.009 salinity. The hypo WILL kill the ich in due time but you must be patient. Continue feeding plenty of food and keep them happy. Stress from fresh water dipping will only hurt the fish.

LargeAngels
07/15/2006, 08:13 PM
Hypo only kills ich and FW dips only remove velvet (which have been on the fish longer than 24 hours) not ich. Make sure it is not velvet as the hypo won't do anything. You can do a 2-3 minute FW dip in a clear container and if you see anything in the container after the dip then it is velvet and not ich.