PDA

View Full Version : custom canopy

ziggy222
07/11/2006, 06:05 PM
has anyone done this or have an opinion about doing this?i discovered screw in power compacts that are 6500k and from 10-200watt bulbs.they have their ballists built in.i want to use 2 65 watt bulbs in my canopy set up just like a metal hal would be,with a reflector above them.i would use 2 65watt pc actinic tubes i already have behind them because i can't find actinic screw ins yet.unless someone knows where i can get the screw in actinics.so far i've only found the 50/50 screw ins at 20 watts so i can't go that ropute. this will be going over a 50 gal breeder tank used for reef.what would love to have is all screw in bulbs,if they make higher powered actinics then i could just use 2 actinics and 2 daylights screwed into regular old light fixtures with a reflector behind it.after looking at some of the crazy set ups people have come up with,i know someone has had to of looked into this before.

ziggy222
07/11/2006, 06:55 PM
is there a reason stuff like this can't go above a reef?
Security Flood Wall Mount, 65 Watt, Bronze
Security Flood Light Wall Mount, 65 Watt, BronzeSecurity Flood Light Wall Mount, 65 Watt, BronzeSecurity Flood Wall Mount, 65 Watt Bronze. Fluorescent flood light, lights up 2,580 sf, Brilliant White Light, operates in sub zero temperatures, rustproof, weatherproof, 65 watt quad bulb, with mogul base, 10,000 hr. rated bulb life, brilliant bright white light, instant start, no hum, dusk to dawn operation. Bulb Included, UL Listed. LOA #9266C. Replacement Bulb Item No. 9166B
Color Temp:
Case Quantity:
Watts:

Product Code: 500F65
Buy Now!
Price: $34.50

ozz1116
07/12/2006, 12:41 AM
uhh what did you say?either its the pot or is this jiber jaber?

ziggy222
07/12/2006, 02:14 AM
its very simple i want to use the power compacts that screw into a normal light socket on my reef tank.they have the ballast built right into the bulb,its the correct lighting 6500k daylight bulbs.they make them from 2 watts all the way up to 200 watts.however i have'nt seen them in actinic yet in the higher watt screw in bulbs.so unless i can find these screw in power compact bulbs in actinic,i will have to still use a retrofit power compact for the actinic half.basically i'm looking for a way to save a few hundred dollars in lighting expenses.

The Grim Reefer
07/12/2006, 06:50 AM
Bad Idea. Look at a linear 65 watt PC lamp. It will cover a lot more area using the same power. The spiral lamp will waste even more light than the twin tube design.

The 6500K color will also look quite yellow over the tank. Those particular lamps are good for lighting a refugium.

ziggy222
07/15/2006, 03:32 PM
thats what i'm looking for an alternative to but altimately i may have to settle for the pc.i'm just unhappy with the cost,i mean their just lights with a little gas ion them.thanks for responding though.