PDA

View Full Version : Another what is wrong with open brain post

gatordoc
07/10/2006, 02:43 PM
I have now read every open brain post I could get my hands on. It seems most people have problems if they expose their open brain corals to too much light or change its lighting situation from that of the LFS. Unfortunately, I bought mine before I read all of these posts. The first 2 days it was on top of my rocks under my 4 x 54w Tek T5 fixture. It was doing well but after I read the posts I decided to move it to the sand bed. It partially closed the 1st day and completely closed the 2nd. So I than decided it should go under a ledge to shield it from too much light. It has remained closed for anothre day. I don't want to keep bouncing it all around the tank. Any suggestions before it dies? I included a picture of its current location...

Thanks

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/126181brain-med.jpg

gatordoc
07/10/2006, 02:47 PM
I forgot to mention. Its a standard 55 gallon tank...

duec22
07/10/2006, 03:22 PM
Have you tried to feed it yet. I always get a great bounce back when I feed mine..

reverendmaynard
07/10/2006, 03:37 PM
Open brains should always be kept in the sand. IMO, with that lighting, you shouldn't have to shade it if it's in the sand, although erring on the side of less light is always better than too much. You're right about not wanting to move it too much, corals in general shold not be moved often, or at all if possible.

Sometimes corals don't show the stress of a move immediately, but after a day or two, so I wouldn't think it's likely to die too quickly. It may actually have sustained a "sunburn" during those initial 2 days, which, just like people at the beach, they take a while to feel the affects. I would leave it where it is now, so long as it's not in contact with the rocks and give it some time.

Another common issue with open brains is getting picked at by fish. I had to give mine to a fellow reefer when my hippo tang starting nipping at. Hippos aren't really known as coral eaters, but apparently open brains are some of the tastiest of corals, particluarly their mucous. The fish don't usually rip the flesh, just keep gobbling up the mucus, which upsets the coral more and more 'til it won't open. Keep an eye out for this type of behavior as this is another of those things that will show up after a day or two.

gatordoc
07/10/2006, 05:11 PM
On the issue of feeding. I have tried to feed it but there is enough flow that the food drifts away. Can they handle bigger chunks? I tried to make a shield with some tuppleware but now that I have it in a small cave I can't get anything inside. Any suggestions?

duec22
07/10/2006, 05:36 PM
I turn off all my pumps when I feed mine. typically I just use mysis, but when I first got it I would feed it small krill whole without any problems. They have a pretty big mouth...I've even seen pics of them eating fish and snails that got too close.

katpurdy
07/11/2006, 11:11 AM
green open brains can tolorate more light than the red open brain. Over the next couple of days, try bringing it out a little further to the light...it is ultimately still photosynthetic and needs to be out of the shade. When you feed it, try doing so just after lights out. You can cut a plastic 2L pop bottle in half and wash it well and use the end with the cap top to put over the coral, and then turkey baste some food to it. The bottle will keep other creatures from stealing while the brain has a chance to open up and eat.

oddballs
07/11/2006, 11:32 AM
we own a lfs and i gotta agree with katpurdy if its green it likes alot more light than the red ones!we had some trouble like this in the past keep us informed of what is happening.

Rothie
07/11/2006, 11:00 PM
I have mine at all levels in my LPS tank,but I always start them in a shaded area on the sand for a few weeks or a month,and then slowly move them to a higher location.I have a red that is flourishing near the top of the tank under 250W 10K DE's.