PDA

View Full Version : 20 gal tank?

B0bby3
07/06/2006, 02:08 AM
Is my 20 gal tank considered a "nano" or just a tank, it was previously used as a freshwater tank, but the "parents" wanted to go the Saltwater way and kept the tank. It still has all its components and I am the new owner of this tank!! I was wondering if the heater and lights will be good enough for keeping SW fish and corals? I know that I have to cycle it with LR and LS and add a powerjet. How long does it take a tank to cycle? I have heard from my parents a few weeks...that sux. also do I need a filter, like a hang on one??? and should I add some of my parents water to it? I know these are a lot of questions, but im really jazzed to get this tank and want to do everything right!

:D :D

Bobby

pllb
07/06/2006, 08:02 AM
It all depends on what you want to keep. If you want to keep any kind of corals you will need to upgrade your lighting most likely. Since the tank was previously a fw tank I'm sure you have NO lighting. You will also need:

-Live rock (20-25lbs)
-Live sand (20lbs should be good)
-Powerheads (2 should suffice)
-You can get a protein skimmer but not absolutely necessary if you keep up on your water changes. A HOB Skimmer to go with is the Remora.
-Salt of course
-Hydrometer or Refractometer to test Salinity
-Lighting: MH or PC depending on what you want to keep.
-HOB Filter can be used for circulation or Fuge.
-Do not use Tap water! RO/DI or distilled
-Test kits

Tank cycle varies depending on a lot of factors, generally most people don't add livestock for this first couple weeks and only after all parameters check good. Don't bother taking any of your parents water, just make your own and let it cycle.