PDA

View Full Version : Purple Mushroom has not split

zebrafish
07/04/2006, 01:48 PM
I have had a purple mushroom in my 75 gal. tank for about a year now and it has not split yet. I was wondering if this is normal? I have heard that they should begin splitting within six months if everything in the tank is in good order. I run 2 sets of PC lights = 520 watts. Water condintions are in good, water changes every two weeks. Any ideas for a new member?

bshumake
07/04/2006, 03:10 PM
Don't worry about it. Mine are pretty big and their not splitting. Now if you WANT it to split just take a razor to it. Cut it in half and you're done.

nam2212
07/04/2006, 03:16 PM
I bought a rock with about 10 purple shrooms about 2 years ago and I now have too many to count. I really didn't notice them splitting while I had them under PCs. I switched to a 150W HQI about a year ago and the more intense lighting made them all drop off the original rock and spread throughout my 29G. New shrooms also grew in the place of those that dropped off. They all dropped off again when I upgraded to a 250W HQI, so I now have them everywhere. Some people will cut them in half and each half grows into a new shroom. If you need some more purples or green-striped, just send me a PM.

Nick

zebrafish
07/05/2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that one solution would be to help facilitate the split; I really don’t feel very comfortable taking a razor to it at this time. Maybe with a little more time & experience under my belt I will give that a try.