PDA

View Full Version : question about protopalys

Biogirl361
07/03/2006, 02:45 PM
i'm sure this has been asked before, but since i can never get on the search, i can't find it!

all the zoas in my tank are doing fantastic, some of the older additions are even spreading pretty well. but my protopalys (two ppe frags from different people and one nice ~7 polyps rpe frag) don't really seem too happy, it seems like it is all they can do just to open most of the way. which is sad because protopalys are my favorite and i want to collect as many colors as i can. do protopalys have different/more sensitive requirements than regular zoas?

ecotoxlady
07/03/2006, 02:49 PM
I have had the same issue with PE type morphs and the only recommendation I can give you is to move them around the tank in different lighting and flow conditions and see if you can find one where they're happy. I finally found a place where mine seem happy which has good flow and lower light and that is where I keep all my PE. Hope that helps :)

surfnvb7
07/03/2006, 03:32 PM
what kind of lights are over your tank? how much flow do you have in your tank?

recently, i've noticed alot of people with nanocube or equivalent tanks having alot of trouble with zoanthid gigantus (aka people eater) type zoas.

so my guess would be insufficient lighting and/or flow. possibly water quality also.

hope this helps

Biogirl361
07/04/2006, 07:20 PM
I've got 150 watt halides which i replaced recently so i am guessing light is sufficient.. maybe flow or water quality. i am hoping to add a sump soon so i hope that will improve the water quality. thanks for the input :)

gflat65
07/04/2006, 09:56 PM
If you replaced your lights lately and the closing up of the PE's correlates, that may be it. How old was your old bulb? If it lost much intensity/spectrum, etc., it may have just shocked the polyps for a little while. If not that, finding the right location is key. I had to move mine a round a few times before they opened and got happy. Now they'll do fine anywhere, but not until they got used to my system.