PDA

View Full Version : Potential issues with plumbing?

Thermal
07/03/2006, 12:56 PM
I am thinking about running a mag 9.5 as a return pump, a couple of 45's as the elbows, 1 1/4" pvc up about 5'. From there I was considering using an adapter connected to a 3/4" loc line "Y" to have dual return outlets. Any potential issues?

ETA:
Would it be better to just use 1 1/4" pvc from the pump, split it with a "T" and have a dual return using 1 1/4 PVC?

Avi
07/03/2006, 01:16 PM
I take it that the tank is pre-drilled for or reef-ready for one overflow? I like the idea of splitting the return so that you can have an outlet on both sides of the tank.

silverwolf72
07/03/2006, 01:27 PM
You might be better to Y off the larger pipe and then use a 3/4 reducer for 2 seperate loclines

Thermal
07/03/2006, 03:24 PM
My set up so far consists of:

-100 gal tank (I think it's actually closer to 92 gal.)
-a 28 (operational) gal sump (40 gal total volume)
-EV 240 skimmer
-dual outlet hang on overflow (1200 GPH)
-1 mag 12 to push the skimmer
- 2 fluroescent atinic lights (to be changed later)
-misc. 1 1/4" pvc pipe and elbows, unions and such.

On Order:
-Mag 9.5 (return pump)
- 2 Maxijet 900's

To Order:
Loc Line, fittings
Misc. PVC

Unfortunately the tank isn't drilled. As much as I want to do it, my wife says "NO WAY". I told he it would be safer, but she's not budging.

I think you're right Silverwolf. I do believe I'll go that route. "Y" the larger pipe, then reduce.

Avi
07/03/2006, 08:06 PM
Instead of using PVC, I would suggest that you instead just use 3/4-inch flex tube from the return pump....and T that off so that there are two outlets going to the fish tank. In this application, while PVC may look more "professional," it doesn't really show at all and it's still very functional. You wouldn't need the Loc Lines and you could use these instead:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT0011

I'd also suggest that you put Hydor Flow Deflectors on the MJs you ordered and also get yourself more flow than you mentioned...maybe a Seio 11 in additional to what you've contemplated.