PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in the fishroom

hrdneglcry
07/02/2006, 06:37 PM
Anybody have a problem with their dog's getting an allergic reaction to the salt water that gets on the floor that the dog's walk on? Either wet/or dried salt?

CB1
07/02/2006, 06:57 PM
I have two dogs and have never had a problem. But if there was some kind of an allergy. I guess it would depend on th breed. But I hardly think any dog would be allergic to salt. IMO But I am not a vet.

Amy83820
07/02/2006, 07:28 PM
Is your dog having a reaction? Maybe it's other chemicals in the water and not the salt (ph buffer, suppliments, etc).

Andrew
07/02/2006, 07:29 PM
My dogs don't come in my room but the cats leave hair in the tank and I find it in my overflow.

MarineFiend
07/02/2006, 07:37 PM
You could try using a paw protectant on your dog, check with the local store and ask for a spray or even a rollon pad protectant.

hrdneglcry
07/27/2006, 05:45 PM
Marine fiend. Might this be what you are talking about? Or would you suggest I try something a little better. Here's the link....Thanks
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13540&Ntt=paw&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2001&Nty=1

lunning
07/27/2006, 06:56 PM
are you sure that it is from the water coming from the tank? it may be something else.....

Snowsrfr
07/27/2006, 07:00 PM
I actually believe that salt can be an irritant to the pads on a dogs feet. That's why they offer a "pet safe" ice melt at places like PetSmart, Petco, etc.

seshapir
07/27/2006, 08:03 PM
Unless your dog is having a reaction I wouldn't worry about it.

If your dog is having any issues with its paws I would take it to the vet. Itchy feet can also be a sign of any outdoor allergy or a food allergy.

hrdneglcry
07/27/2006, 08:17 PM
Right, it could be a number of things. Unfortunately allergy season, and my first salt tank started up at the same time.

Paintbug
07/27/2006, 08:29 PM
i will say if you have zoos in the tank dont let the dog lick/drink the water. theres been a couple of people here that have lost pets from the toxins zoos sometimes release! theres other bacterial issuses as well. you have to be safe with them. :D

DamnDamsel
07/27/2006, 08:30 PM
My dog used to use my fish tanks as his permanent water bowl whenever I was not looking.

GlobaLPimP
07/27/2006, 09:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7828499#post7828499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnDamsel
My dog used to use my fish tanks as his permanent water bowl whenever I was not looking.

GEESE MAN - what kind of dog do you have - a GREAT DANE:eek2:

seshapir
07/27/2006, 09:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7828492#post7828492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paintbug
i will say if you have zoos in the tank dont let the dog lick/drink the water. theres been a couple of people here that have lost pets from the toxins zoos sometimes release! theres other bacterial issuses as well. you have to be safe with them. :D

UGH that just made my heart drop...the worst I ever had is my dog drinking the water change water.

I still say a trip to the vet is in order...they can do allergy tests. You could also try a little benedryl but again consult the vet first cuz I'm not sure what a safe dose it for a dog. Just be careful with itchy paws cuz if they're bothering your dog that much they can start to rip up their skin.

Paintbug
07/28/2006, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7829034#post7829034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seshapir
UGH that just made my heart drop...the worst I ever had is my dog drinking the water change water.

I still say a trip to the vet is in order...they can do allergy tests. You could also try a little benedryl but again consult the vet first cuz I'm not sure what a safe dose it for a dog. Just be careful with itchy paws cuz if they're bothering your dog that much they can start to rip up their skin.

i know the feeling. we just bought a little shih poo puppy. now i worry about everytime i drop some water on the floor. my tank is in the basement. luckily she doesnt get to come in there often.

hrdneglcry
07/28/2006, 01:47 PM
My dog will not drink salt water period. Can you blame her? I do not keep Zoos either, but thank you for pointing that out. I had 600 gallons spread out amongst 6 saltwater tanks, so as you might imagine the basement floor was really wet quite often. I cut back to a 180 gallon tank, and I plan on keeping the floor salt free.

newreefbishop
07/28/2006, 02:25 PM
My dog hate salt water.....I have little maltese, that my wife has spoiled silly. He will only drink fresh filtered RO/DI water, not even tap water....He is always trying to see what going on in the refugium though....but im not worried about him drinking water as he is spoiled silly and refuses anything but the freshest water.