PDA

View Full Version : Sick of stupid bubble algae

fkdenton
06/28/2006, 08:06 PM
Title says it all. I keep getting giant bubbles. I want it gone. Any ideas? I realy just want to add something to eat it. Thats the only bad thing with the tank. everything else has done great. I did get two great bangi cardinals and a cherub angel at gwa during the big sale. They are doing great.

Thanks
Floyd

DKKA
06/28/2006, 08:49 PM
Be thankful it's giant bubbles and not small ones. At least you have hope of manual removal on the big ones. The small ones are nearly impossible to remove completely, and hence are more likely to encroach on corals.
Manual removal is your best bet for dealing with them.

Dan

David MC Lee
06/28/2006, 09:11 PM
My purple tang loves it.

RV8tor
06/28/2006, 11:24 PM
My purple tang hasn't touched mine, but I did get a couple emeral crabs that took care of 95% of my buble algae, I think it is still working on the rest, I would go weeks without seeing it and thought it was dead but then I would have a "sighting". Down side to emeral crabs, I hear, is they do get big and could attack small fish. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

seldon
06/29/2006, 06:13 AM
I had good luck with them eating the bubble algae, but they would also pick coraline algae off the rocks too, which was minor. Unfortunatly, I did have mine attack a juvinile clown; promptly leading to a trip to the store to be rid of him.

seldon

tcottle
06/29/2006, 09:23 AM
I had a foxface rabbit fish that kept everything that was green in check. He passed on about 9 months ago and I am getting a bubble algae problem again. Mechanical removal is not working so I will be ordering another one at our local LFS.

Gluestick
06/30/2006, 09:21 PM
Some people have said that if you pop the bubbles it will spread... I don't know if this is true or not, but when I siphon my tank for a water change, I get a toothbrush and brush the bubbles with the siphon right next to it and everything gets sucked up. I am thinking about getting a mithrax crab, but now I'm reconsidering since a few of you have said they eat small fish. My tank is the beginnings of a reef, and I am planning on all inverts with just a few small fish.