PDA

View Full Version : doing trades and sales at LFS

Pico1
06/26/2006, 08:49 PM
As many of you know I am selling a lot of sps in another thread. Today I went to the coral reef shop at 3:30 and met several MARS members there so they could buy the coral they has requested ahead of time. After I sold all the corals and made all the trades to everyone the owner decided to confront me. He said in a very unhappy tone, "why are you meeting these people here" and "why did you decide to meet here". I can understand where he's coming from but I don't know why he had to act so irritated, I've done a few deals at other LFS no problem. I know a lot of people on here meet at LFS to do this sorta thing but what's everyone's thoughts on meeting at local fish stores? Mabey we should start meeting at another store or gas station near local fish stores when we do these sorta things. What are all your guys' opinions on this issue?

Then again you have to take into consideration that I work at your reef (and they know that) and that the owner of the coral reef shop came in to your reef about a week ago and just looked around, didn't say who they were, and didn't buy anything. I honestly didn't meet there to be rude or mean, I thought people did this at local fish stores regularly and that it was ok (and it may be).

dots
06/26/2006, 09:06 PM
I can see that a store owner could get upset because you are potentially cutting in on his "action". And being a newer store without a strong customer base, I can understand it.

Yet, as a business owner one should realize that you are part of the group who will ultimatly support the business and realize, that some of these people will probably go in and spend money while there picking up the frags.......I would think it would be a good thing for all.

You should have offered him the same prices for your stuff so he could have stocked his store. Would he have taken it....

Its going to happen anyway.......he can look on the bright side and try to benifit from it.

And here is my honest opinion, that everyone may or may not agree with.

"In today's day and age, I have the ability to get my supplies from anyone or anywhere, no longer are we in the age of the one horse town where the general store is the only game in town. I come from a smaller town where the difference in one store or the other was customer service, something I think is lacking in this day and age. With the exception of a few stores, and namely one.....the customer service in the aquarium trade around here is pathetic......

I hope we as a group can use our collective strength to change that in a postitive way.......

however............I have no qualms driving two hours to the bay area to a select few, where the selection AND customer service is great. Please do not give me a reason.....I want to give you my business."

Still, I see both sides but I think building relationships with your cliental is paramount..........

My two cents......
Off the soapbox....

H20Sidhe
06/26/2006, 09:11 PM
This has been discussed before. I think there are two ways to look at it. The first way is that somehow our buying & selling of frags at their place of business could somehow cut into their sales. I think this is misguided. The other way to views this is as an opportunity to host a group of reefers who are happily sharing the hobby, and actually is an opportunity to enhance their business.

Every other time when I have met others for buying/selling frags, I have made a purchase at the LFS where we have met. I have seen other reefers do the same thing. Today, I felt so uncomfortable there, that I decided not to buy the items I needed.

One possibility is to meet at LFS who welcome & support our presence, and therefore our business. It does not take long to figure out where we are welcome. Just my $.02.

Underwaterparadise
06/26/2006, 09:31 PM
Just about everytime I have done this I went into the LFS and bought something. Money in there pocket. I think a respectable person would have approached you kindly to discuss it.

I could understand a business man getting upset if it happened all the time and you never went into the store to buy something. But a smart businessman IMO would have turned it into a money making situation by having a conversation with you and would have had you in the store picking something out or coming back in a couples days to purchase ;)...................some peoples attitudes never change...........

brianblack72
06/26/2006, 09:38 PM
I also think there are a few ways to look at this. Did you first clear this activity with the owner of the store? Are you profiting from selling your frags?

I guess it depends on those two questions. If you are personally profiting, you should probably do those dealings in your own home. If you are giving them away, that is different.

Nu2SW
06/26/2006, 09:41 PM
Everytime Ive gone to johns except once, Ive bought something.

They should look at it as a chance to make money. They are not loosing anything. The deal was done and sealed on the internet away from his store.

I would of simply said to him, well im sorry that you dont approve of it, but you do relize that most of the time we go into your store and buy something.

And if you wanna meet at a LFS who has a issue, Just meet outside. Right in front of the store. Can't say anything about it then....

brianblack72
06/26/2006, 09:48 PM
That makes sense. Pico, do you know the owner? Maybe he was uncomfortable because you work at a different store are you doing trades in his store. If you do not know him, it may help to introduce yourself and explain your activities -- seems like his questions were reasonable.

Do you have any frags left? Which thread has them listed?

Unarce
06/26/2006, 09:58 PM
The last time we made an exchange with Gabe (Jonovan02) at O Street, we were asked to do it somewhere else. It was someone else other than Peggy, though. Personally, I don't think she would mind.

Some will say it's illegal. Others will say it's against store policy. It's probably a good idea to just either clear it with the owner, or do it just outside of the store.

I don't know if you mentioned you were MARS members, Jordan, but if so, you have to remember that a lot of unpleasant things have been said about the Coral Reef Shop's owner. I'm quite sure that would have irritated him.

JahReefster
06/26/2006, 10:00 PM
Edwin, if by referring to "John," you mean John Dakan of Your Reef, I don't think that's the store they're referring to here. And if the activity took place in sight of the owner of a new business trying to make a go of it and if he knew Jordan worked at Your Reef, I could see that he might have some cause for concern, at least at first blush. Maybe he could have discussed it better, but guess I could see it.

As the man says, just my 2 cents (what's that make now; about 8?).

Fred

kward@msn.com
06/26/2006, 11:16 PM
Jordan

I understand you are 15 years old and may be a little naive about the ways of the World . . . so please take what I say in a constructive light. You cannot mechandise in someones' store for personal gain without permission. The Coral Reef Shop spends almost $10,000 a month for the opportunity to sell our products at that location. With no investment from you please tell me why you should profit. Do you think baking some homemade bread and selling it in a Safeway store to their customers would be acceptable, prearranged or not?

It would have been appropiate if you had cleared your activities with the owner. I would not have OK'd it under the circumstances . . . after all, you work for my competitor and that throws up a red flag. That said, if you were selling for a non-profit Org or charity with the funds going to them, I would welcome and support the activity.

We realize everyone has the choice of where to purchase their livestock and supplies. We will work hard to earn your respect, offer to you the best livestock and technology available, and support the Aquarist and his hobby. We thank those customers that have given us that opportunity thus far and hope you will return.

Ken Ward
Owner - Coral Reef shop

bkmorris
06/26/2006, 11:45 PM
there's really no need to make a jab at his age... and as for the people that took the opportunity to come check out your store today... your reaction to this situation may affect their willingness to return. this hobby is a community of sorts, and frag selling is a part of that. if you would rather it not take place in your store, then a simple, upfront statement is all that is needed.

Pico1
06/26/2006, 11:45 PM
No comment...

tacocat
06/27/2006, 12:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7634464#post7634464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pico1
Then again you have to take into consideration that I work at your reef (and they know that) and that the owner of the coral reef shop came in to your reef about a week ago and just looked around, didn't say who they were, and didn't buy anything. I honestly didn't meet there to be rude or mean, I thought people did this at local fish stores regularly and that it was ok (and it may be).

I'm curious, why didn't you do your transactions at Your Reef?

Reefugee
06/27/2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Nu2SW
And if you wanna meet at a LFS who has a issue, Just meet outside. Right in front of the store. Can't say anything about it then....

That's not true. They pay rent for the store and the parking lot. So if you are selling outside of their store on private property, that can be consider trespassing if they ask you to leave. However, if you do it on the public sidewalk beyond the parking lot, they might not be able to do anything. :D But then I would be pretty peeved if some little kid opened up a lemonade stand infront of my house on the public sidewalk. Well - unless he give me "all you can drink for free" deal and give me 25% of his gross (not net) income. :D

Originally posted by brianblack72
Maybe he was uncomfortable because you work at a different store are you doing trades in his store.

I was thinking the same thing. Also - why didn't Pico conduct his transaction infront of YourReef? Maybe he didn't want to appear to taking away business from the store that he worked at. Just a speculation...

Originally posted by kward@msn.com
I understand you are 15 years old and may be a little naive about the ways of the World . . .

I guess all of us who have done transaction in front of the store are "a little naive." You know who you are... *cough* tim *cough* Rich *cough* Karl *cough* me... :lol: It's funny - I didn't realize Pico1 was 15 years old until the last meeting when someone pointed him out to me. Based on his posts, I thought he was much more mature.

Honestly - it's hard to say how the "conversation" between Pico and Ken went. Maybe Ken was just being assertive, and Pico perceived it as he was being "irrated." But Ken has made his request clear, and I think we should honor it. Same thing - if other LFS have made the same request, we should honor it as well.

Maybe we should find out from John (Yourreef) and Peggy (O St Aquarium) to see if these type of transaction is ok in front of their store. If the LFS are ok with such transaction, we should be discreet about such transactions. Don't go in with a cooler full of corals and make a transaction infront of other customers. Do it discreetly outside at your car.

Minh

yoshiod9
06/27/2006, 12:25 AM
jordan- don't sweat it, bud-- you made a mistake by being inside the store and doing your transactions. personally, i would be irritated that people were coming into my store to sell stuff-- you know? with that being said, meet at whatever place you want to-- just do your transactions outside of the store next time. :) you're not breaking any laws doing that and you're being respectful of the store owner. :)

finally, i don't see myself returning to that store to shop-- ever. i'm a very friendly person and when i walked in, i smiled at the man and woman at the counter and didn't get any kind of response from them besides blank stares. as i left, i smiled again and received the same blank response. i'm very, very big on first impressions and since i was treated poorly (read: ignored), i'll not be returning.

after we traded for the seio, i walked around to check out the store (was there looking at prices and such for around 5minutes or so) and wasn't asked if i needed help or anything. not the best way to do business, i'd imagine. to be fair, though, they had a few decent prices on corals for the sacto area stores (besides john's store, of course)-- but mostly, i'd say they were overpriced (even compared to aqualife-- which, i'd say, is fairly hard to do).

anyway, it was nice meeting you today, jordan, and it was good to see you (again) brooke and sherie. :)

Reefugee
06/27/2006, 12:29 AM
Wait... The transaction occured inside the store? Now if I was the store owner, I would have been ****ed too. :P I thought the transaction occured outside the store.

yoshiod9
06/27/2006, 12:33 AM
taco- i think it was because the coral reef store (which, btw, is an odd moniker-- seeing how they have an even split of fw and sw. :) ) is very close to where jordan lives (i believe he said he lives only a few minutes away). yourreef is something like 20-30 minutes from the CRS. the next logical question would be 'why didn't we meet at jordan's house?', right? well, to answer that before it is asked, i don't like meeting people at my apt. (unless i know them, of course)-- it's just sort of strange, you know? :)

finally, i do feel that the owner of the CRS had every right to confront you, jordan-- next time, meet out front of the store and then do your transactions outside. :)

yoshiod9
06/27/2006, 12:35 AM
yeah, minh, it happened inside. i've never done a transaction inside of a store before (mostly out of respect for the store owner/employees)-- i just chalked that one up to the fact that jordan didn't really think about the possible implications. oh well, though-- you live and learn, right? :)
-danny

shilo_1
06/27/2006, 12:37 AM
I can personally see where issues may arrise from the side of the store owner.
If it were me, I wouldn't be happy about someone selling/trading goods I was trying to sell a few feet away. It doesn't matter if its done discreetly (IMO), it still might be a possible loss of some business for the store.

Why not just rather do these sales or trades in front of a different store or somewhere neutral ? Something that will not really matter....like a book store, or laundromat, etc.
That way no business is lost/taken and therefore no toes are stepped on.

Just my 2 cents.

tacocat
06/27/2006, 12:38 AM
Good points Minh.

I saw your original post. You did sell a TON of acros. Kudos to your reason for doing so. I bet one or two transactions may have been overlooked, but if you sold all those acros in that store, that may have gotten a bot racous. In fact, you could have opened a store within a store. :D

shilo_1
06/27/2006, 12:43 AM
Danny,

If thats a reason for not returning to a store, I would never go back to O Street, Capitol or many other places ! lol
I practically had to beg the guy at O Str to help me two weeks ago....but I've come to expect that kind of treatment from them, and take it for what it is.
I may not like it, but there aren't all that many stores to choose from when it comes to picking out livestock and corals in person.

I think its rather harsh to judge the CRS on one visit. :)

Pico1
06/27/2006, 12:44 AM
I want to appologize for causing any bad feelings or grief. I had honestly thought this type of trading at LFS was a common practice. But, I can see both sides of the issue - both sides have merit.
In the future I will just sell away from any LFS.
I wish all the LFS success.
Thanks for the advise everyone.

funman1
06/27/2006, 12:44 AM
Whenever I have done transactions with other members at YourReef, I always meet them in the parking lot do the transaction, and then go into the store (and usually buy something else)
I would feel really weird doing it inside the store.

I felt really weird when a customer was asking John for s certain kind of xenia, and he said he almost never gets it in, so I struck up a conversation with the couple, and after talking a bit told them that I had the xenia there were looking for. It just felt weird though to me to swap phone numbers IN the store.

Now,
I really like the new store and will like it more when they get tiny frag tanks (I was their first customer after all), but the jab at age was simply uncalled for.

I agree with Mihn, we need to post a list on our website of stores that we have gotten the ok from, and stores that have given the ixnay to this.

Also I think the new store owner needs to get involved with us, give away some stuff at our meetings, sponsor part of the club like others do (not mentioning any names), and embrace us as a group, rather then tick each member off one at a time, and have to come into this arena to defend their actions.

So far the customer service I have received at the store has been superb, but when I hear horror stories, and other things that could have been dealt with better, it does reflect on what I think of a place even if it didn't happen directly to me. It's like how your feelings change when a friend has a bad experience, and you weren't even there.

I'm not taking any sides on this one, but I wish the new store would take care of us all as a whole group, better and I think people would like the new place a lot more.

IMO: It seems to takes 10 or more good stories to patch up a bad story around here.

~Steve~

Marc Daniels
06/27/2006, 01:03 AM
Doing the deed in the store wasn't a good idea. They also have a fairly small parking area, and it wouldn't take too many cars to fill it.

As far as meeting at a LFS when people are trading, selling, etc. If I were an LFS owner I would welcome it...in the parking lot. One of the reasons why these groups meet at an LFS versus a Raleys is that they can shop the LFS while they are already there. O Street, the CRS, Capitol and others are central to the Sacramento area, and they become a natural meeting point.

I know that Mr. Ward, or possibly Brian will be reading this. If you wish to step in with some comments/ground rules for this sort of thing it would be welcome.

As a side note, since we are discussing this new establishment. I have said some very negative things about Brian Ward, and also in reference to the new store. Sometimes I live in a very black & white world, and things that I deem as unethical and shady may not be such a big deal to the next person. I had my opinion and I stated it very clearly, but it was only my opinion. Please let your own experience with the Wards and their new store be your guiding influence, and not some of my rants. From the pictures the store looked very nice, and maybe one day I'll get over my problem and pay them a visit.

Marc

tfp
06/27/2006, 01:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7635794#post7635794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefugee
...I guess all of us who have done transaction in front of the store are "a little naive." You know who you are... *cough* tim *cough* Rich *cough* Karl *cough* me... :lol: ...

Minh

ROTFLMAO! dang minh...you nailed us! :D jordan, its ok man...chalk it up as a learning experience. the coral reef store owner did have the right to be peeved under the circumstances.

i've been meeting up with people at O St. for years and Yourreef for weeks but have a pretty established rapport with the owners. even so, i tcob outside the store to discourage any customers from prying. also, i try to spend some $$$ at the store we meet at whenever possible to show my support. if its johns place, i'll sometimes bring him some nice frags for his personal tank at ridiculously low trade value :D

heck, if i know i'm pressed for time and not window shopping, i've met people at Starbucks, Labou or elsewhere.

hth,
tim

yoshiod9
06/27/2006, 02:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7635974#post7635974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shilo_1
Danny,

If thats a reason for not returning to a store, I would never go back to O Street, Capitol or many other places ! lol
I practically had to beg the guy at O Str to help me two weeks ago....but I've come to expect that kind of treatment from them, and take it for what it is.
I may not like it, but there aren't all that many stores to choose from when it comes to picking out livestock and corals in person.

I think its rather harsh to judge the CRS on one visit. :)

shilo- personally, if i'm not greeted by an employee (be it a head nod, smile, them asking if i need help-- whatever) i'm immediately turned off by that store. i guess it's a matter of luck that i was treated well the first time i went to exotic, ostreet, capitol, aqualife and your reef, huh? :)

you might think that it is harsh to judge a store on one visit but i don't. i'm not going to waste my time and money at any store where the employees aren't friendly and where they carry 'run-of-the-mill' corals. i guess that i'm just spoiled by the bay area stores that carry NICE corals and have decent employees. :D

i've worked in retail for years and think that a little common courtesy goes a long way in making long-term customers. if you want my business, all you have to do is be friendly and say hello or welcome-- not too much to ask for, i think. :shrug:

btw, why the heck are you coming up to the sacto stores, shilo?! :D when i was back home in vacaville, i'd much rather go to the bay area stores-- better selection and better prices, hands down. i honestly feel that the only store in our area that is remotely as good as any of the bay area stores in john's store (good prices and a decent selection of fish/coral).

fishsoldseprtly
06/27/2006, 03:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7635977#post7635977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by funman1

Also I think the new store owner needs to get involved with us, give away some stuff at our meetings, sponsor part of the club like others do (not mentioning any names), and embrace us as a group, rather then tick each member off one at a time, and have to come into this arena to defend their actions.

~Steve~

I was actually talking about this with a buddy on RC a few weeks ago.. my honest opinion, I dont think a store needs to do anything as far as giving away stuff, etc.. to earn your loyalty as a customer. I dont think the owner was trying to tick anyone as a group.. if it was my store I would think it would be a dis-respect for you to do your business at my store as well.
Its kind of funny how everyone talks soo much crap about every store in the city, and that everyone here thinks that a store is not going to make it w/o your business or support. Most of these stores have been here for years and RC members are a tiny % of where there business comes from.. there are hundreds and thousands of other supporters, clientals and foot traffic that provide there business. So I dont think a store should kiss our butts just to lure us to shop at their store. JMO! (you can bash me now)

Reefugee
06/27/2006, 07:12 AM
:thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7636317#post7636317 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishsoldseprtly
I was actually talking about this with a buddy on RC a few weeks ago.. my honest opinion, I dont think a store needs to do anything as far as giving away stuff, etc.. to earn your loyalty as a customer. I dont think the owner was trying to tick anyone as a group.. if it was my store I would think it would be a dis-respect for you to do your business at my store as well.
Its kind of funny how everyone talks soo much crap about every store in the city, and that everyone here thinks that a store is not going to make it w/o your business or support. Most of these stores have been here for years and RC members are a tiny % of where there business comes from.. there are hundreds and thousands of other supporters, clientals and foot traffic that provide there business. So I dont think a store should kiss our butts just to lure us to shop at their store. JMO! (you can bash me now)

thereefgeek
06/27/2006, 07:29 AM
Not that I haven't witnessed other types of "deals" giong down in broad daylight near O-Street ;), but as a rule I personally try to avoid coral transactions in front of a fish store. I'd rather pick up in a neutral zone or at the persons house, and likewise have people pick up at my place or the club meetings.

Even though you're only selling a couple frags, and will most likely spend that newfound cash at the store you're selling in front of, most owners don't see it that way. It takes a bit of tact, and large gatherings in a boiling hot parking lot aren't the funnest place to meet other people anyway.

I know of someone who was selling the very same product (comercially packaged) out in front of O-Street that they carried inside the store! Needless to say, I received a less-than-happy phonecall from Peggy. Very poor form if you ask me, and we as a club nearly lost our 10% member discount!

I'm not saying you shouldn't sell livestock from time to time. Most of my best corals came from frags of other members (Tim :D ). Just think about the rendezvous point, and how it may appear to the store owners. It greatly affects how we are perceived as a club to those that offer us a member discount.

shilo_1
06/27/2006, 08:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7636269#post7636269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoshiod9
you might think that it is harsh to judge a store on one visit but i don't. i'm not going to waste my time and money at any store where the employees aren't friendly and where they carry 'run-of-the-mill' corals. i guess that i'm just spoiled by the bay area stores that carry NICE corals and have decent employees. :D

i've worked in retail for years and think that a little common courtesy goes a long way in making long-term customers. if you want my business, all you have to do is be friendly and say hello or welcome-- not too much to ask for, i think. :shrug:

I totally agree with you, but all of my experiences (at least 99%) have been like pulling teeth, with the exception of Your Reef.
All I'm saying is that if I was to adopt your theory and go on initial greetings from staff/first impressions....I would never return to these stores. lol
Sometimes its nice to just go into a store and browse...even if no one wants to answer a question, or you don't get a "hello" when you walk in, or if you have to wait for a private conversation to finish before you can give them your money. I guess maybe I'm too nice to these stores. :)

I don't like to have to sit in traffic for an hour and a half either way to go down to the city and then not have a clue where I'm going, just to find that the store I'm going to doesn't have what I want, etc. Sac takes an hour, roughly, so its more convenient. :)

Nu2SW
06/27/2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry for that, Yeah I know who they are talking about I was just saying that when I go to johns thats where i have done it, but it has been outside and then I go in and end up buying stuff....

I see everyones point and rich's wow thats just not OK. Selling a packaged good for cheaper then the store... yikes....

But, I could see where mr. ward got a lil upset about being indoors. But if its done outdoors and they come inside, I would hope that they would not have a problem. It is there business thought and we must respect their wishes.

BBCoach4
06/27/2006, 08:26 PM
Ken and Brian are great people to deal with. They care about their customers and want to continue a positive relationship w/ them. They've gone above and beyond to help me out many times. Pico definately make a rookie mistake. I don't blame Ken at all for his reaction.

brianblack72
06/27/2006, 08:55 PM
I stopped by the CRS today on my way home from work while they were unloading corals and asked Brian about what happened. He said that his 11 year old daughter alerted him that the employee at another store was collecting a large amount of cash right in front of the register, right in front of other customers and handing out frags. He didn't have any prior communication with this person and was in shock by what was happening. He said that he didn't really know how to react to the situation and simply asked Jordan "aren't you john's son," "why are you selling your corals here" which was replied with "its near my house." Brian said "oh, ok" and stepped back to the counter (apparently still not realizing how he should react to what was happening in the store). He did say that he had a concerned look on his face which is probably why the parties involved (and other customers in the store?) interpreted his posture as "rude." He did also mention that a certain individual was at the same time asking questions about a product and seemed to be throwing him curve balls.

Brian seems like a nice person and did say that it was a bizarre and uncomfortable situation for all.

He also mentioned that John visited his store on their grand opening day and did not introduce himself, and that is the reason for not making his identity known when visiting johns store. Apparently there has been a lot of negative energy directed toward Brian through MARS affiliation and he didn't think that john would have accepted his friendship, which could explain the slight paranoia. :)

BTW, looks like some really nice corals came in, particularly a red gonipora (I've never seen a red gonipora!) and some deep purple and fluorescent red mushrooms.

Marc Daniels
06/27/2006, 09:02 PM
brianblack72-
You have 4 posts at RC, and every single one is in support of the Coral Reef Shop. Makes one say hmmmmmmm.

Underwaterparadise
06/27/2006, 09:42 PM
WOW I did not realize this happened in the store. Bad judgement call on your end! I may have wigged out on you as well!

Underwaterparadise
06/27/2006, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7641452#post7641452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brianblack72

He also mentioned that John visited his store on their grand opening day and did not introduce himself, and that is the reason for not making his identity known when visiting johns store. Apparently there has been a lot of negative energy directed toward Brian through MARS affiliation and he didn't think that john would have accepted his friendship, which could explain the slight paranoia. :)

Sorry but that is another lie to add on to the pile! John has Never been in your store..........err Brians store. :rolleye1:

Pico1
06/27/2006, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7641452#post7641452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brianblack72
was collecting a large amount of cash right in front of the register, right in front of other customers and handing out frags.
We actually made the transactions near the drygoods, it was not a large amount of cash and half of it was trades, and the only customers who saw it were other MARS members I was meeting there. John has mentioned to me that he has never been in there. I didn't know what I was doing was wrong, I hear of people trading/selling at LFS all the time and thought that it was normal to meet inside. I didn't mean to make anyone uncomfortable or upset and I've learned from this experence that what I did was wrong. This will not happen again on my part and I apologize to anyone who I've made uncomfortable or unhappy.

Dakan
06/27/2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Brian and or brianblack72,
Sorry, but you must have me confused with some one else. I have not yet had the opportunity to visit your store. If I have the chance to stop by I will be sure to introduce myself.

loup
06/27/2006, 10:07 PM
He did also mention that a certain individual was at the same time asking questions about a product and seemed to be throwing him curve balls.

I don't know if that individual you are pointing out is me because I was seriously wanting to buy some artic pod and I saw he had one in the freezer. I wasn't trying to throw any "curve ball". I was also seriously looking to buy a PBT and the trigger too to complete my reef.

In all honesty, I didn't know that the deal was going to take place in the LFS, I thought it would be handle outside as I've always done transaction outside. An akward situation for all involve for sure. It was my first time at CRS, overall they (the owner who were there) were nice to me and the place is really clean.

Nu2SW
06/27/2006, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7641914#post7641914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JMDAKAN
Hi Brian and or brianblack72,
Sorry, but you must have me confused with some one else. I have not yet had the opportunity to visit your store. If I have the chance to stop by I will be sure to introduce myself.

Ive been here for 3-4 months and Ive never seen john post....

OK minh I think you need to put up the GIF of the baseball bat and the donkey....

Everyone has said there "I'm Sorry" and people now know not to do this at CRS.

Time to let it die people....

Justin74
06/28/2006, 02:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7642460#post7642460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nu2SW
Ive been here for 3-4 months .....
Everyone has said there "I'm Sorry" and people now know not to do this at CRS.
Time to let it die people....

Dang!3-4 months and already pullin rank on us? :lmao:

-Justin

Nu2SW
06/28/2006, 08:19 AM
OK you totally chopped that up justin... LOL

Its true, why keep beating on a dead horse... Jordan has said He learned from it... IM sure im not the only one thinking this should be locked up and moved to the Isle of Misfit threads...IF you CL you will know what that means....

Now Hit the Deck and Give me 20 SOLDIER!!!!!!!

brianblack72
06/28/2006, 10:00 AM
Sorry guys, I don't work in Sac again until next week, so I can't relay any more messages.

Justin74
06/28/2006, 10:03 AM
heheh, Im glad you could tell I was just razzin ya ;) This has been a helpfull thread though IMO as Iv'e made a deal in LFS's too and felt like I had to be on the lookout as I smuggled my new frag in my cooler and quckly left the building before any was the wiser but it could've happend to me.

Ive always contributed people meeting at fish stores out of convenience as we all know where the fish stores are located and we can be lazy and not have to look up any other addresses. But totally agree with Rich, its just way better at someones house, and you get to see what conditions the peice is coming from to top it off.

Id like to suggest the possibility of the 133t stores in the bay area not always being 133t. I bet they probably started off with some mediocre coral as well, but through the support of a big city and local clubs and the maturation of there systems they were able to bring some nicer corals to the public. It wouldnt make sense for the CRS to just stock the same mushrooms and brown polyps till the end of there days, and doubt that is his plan. This will change even faster with our support and suggestions, not stonewalling and/or boycotting.

Tis true this thread is near the end of its rope, but am glad it was posted Pico1, as it can prevent any more problems down the road for the next guy or gal.

-Justin

Nu2SW
06/28/2006, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7644188#post7644188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
heheh, Im glad you could tell I was just razzin ya ;) This has been a helpfull thread though IMO as Iv'e made a deal in LFS's too and felt like I had to be on the lookout as I smuggled my new frag in my cooler and quckly left the building before any was the wiser but it could've happend to me.

No problem man... And i totally agree with yeah, it has been helpful

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7644188#post7644188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74 but am glad it was posted Pico1, as it can prevent any more problems down the road for the next guy or gal.

-Justin

Very much so

Mr.Nudibranch
06/28/2006, 03:58 PM
brianblack72 makes a good point I also have heard the same thing and I have posted more then 4 post now I see everyone’s point but as a store owner I have had the same problems with people doing transactions in my store and I will tell you I was not happy to say the least. Now I told them I support what they are doing but I don't like the fact that they did it in front of me and that they are more then welcome to buy or just look around but please don't do that again. Now as for CRS I have had nothing but smiles from them but as for other stores I will not mention I have had mixed reaction good and bad but it does not mean I will not go back, I know that I have not been to YourReef but I hear a lot of positive things also to the point of advertisement:hmm1: it seems to me everyone that was there to meet the employee of YourReef at CRS are the someone’s that have nothing but good to say about YourReef and bad about CRS, I could be wrong but it seems a little political to me. I guess everybody has something to add but all I know is that I am sad to see so many negative things about a store that has only been open for a little over a week now if it was me I would go into the store especially if I lived so close and maybe air out any hard feelings especially if worked at another store and did that, and if you just bought the frags maybe, ahbrainn should get second try to be more friendly like he has been with everyone that went when they were not there to get frags from someone else:rolleyes: just a thought
Now if I am wrong you can PM me and let me know please or post if you want, Thank you

GreshamH
06/28/2006, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7641982#post7641982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by loup
I don't know if that individual you are pointing out is me because I was seriously wanting to buy some artic pod and I saw he had one in the freezer[. I wasn't trying to throw any "curve ball". I was also seriously looking to buy a PBT and the trigger too to complete my reef.

In all honesty, I didn't know that the deal was going to take place in the LFS, I thought it would be handle outside as I've always done transaction outside. An akward situation for all involve for sure. It was my first time at CRS, overall they (the owner who were there) were nice to me and the place is really clean.

CRS is stocking Arcti-Pods™ in the freezer? I'll have to call them and speak to them about this as we 100% advise against that practice. There is not need to degrade the product by shoving it in the freezer. It should only be refrigerated, never frozen. It's got a 4 month shelf life if refrigerated.

Gresham H
Reed Mariculture> the makers of Reef Nutrition

bettaman
06/29/2006, 03:25 AM
we all should look at fishsoldseprtly post. I agree with what he said. Most of the LFS give a s....t of what we think or say. As a matter of fact, I sometimes hear they refer Mars as a "cheap central" instead of reef central

kward@msn.com
06/29/2006, 09:13 AM
GreshamH

Please get your facts straight before publicly posting a reprimand!

The Arcti-Pods were a sample from the supplier . . and were NOT in the freezer but in the Refrigerator next to the freezer as the Manf. suggested.

Ken - -Coral Reef Shop

kward@msn.com
06/29/2006, 09:36 AM
Marc

Is it time to allow Brian Ward to come out of hiding and re-enter this forum as a respected member?

He is a business owner in the community now and deserves that consideration.

Ken - Coral Reef Shop

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 11:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7650916#post7650916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kward@msn.com
GreshamH

The Arcti-Pods were a sample from the supplier . . and were NOT in the freezer but in the Refrigerator next to the freezer as the Manf. suggested.

Ken - -Coral Reef Shop

OK he wasnt reprimanding anyone, he was stating a fact that it should not be put in a freezer. Based on a report from someone that his product is being stored in a freezer and he is informing everyone that it should not be placed in the freezer. Hence the reason he said he will have to call you, which seems to be the correct thing to do to tell you if that was the case.

There is no need to be defensive, unless there is something to worry about?

Respect is earned not given, if someone has done shady business in the past, its hard to gain that respect. Just because he is a business owner doesn't give him the respect either if people has had issues in the past with said owner. Also, he broke the rules based on the terms of service that everyone signs. He is no longer able to be re-entered as a forum member.

Am I the only one seeing this CRS just get worse and worse.... I think I wont be going back to that store... IM sorry if it sounds like im coming off harsh, but this is getting ridicules

GreshamH
06/29/2006, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7650916#post7650916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kward@msn.com
GreshamH

Ken - -Coral Reef Shop

Wooh, I think you took my post the wrong way Ken, sorry. It was not directed at you, which is why I didn't post your name on the top :D I was simply going off what a poster posted here, thus the part about me giving you a call (to confirm what the poster posted). In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have posted to a thread that is heated and not in your favor. Again, sorry. My aim is only to have quality product presented to the end user. If it's being frozen, that comprimises my product lines integrity, and that concerns me to no end. Being the supplier and manufacturer, it's in my best interest to make sure my line is being presented in a proper fashion.

Gresham H
Reed Mariculture

GreshamH
06/29/2006, 11:32 AM
double post :(

yoshiod9
06/29/2006, 11:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7646427#post7646427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr.Nudibranch
Now as for CRS I have had nothing but smiles from them but as for other stores I will not mention I have had mixed reaction good and bad but it does not mean I will not go back, I know that I have not been to YourReef but I hear a lot of positive things also to the point of advertisement:hmm1: that's awesome that you're such a forgiving person. :) sometimes, i wish that i could be just like that but i can't. i refused to go to aquaworld when it was open (poor selection, high prices, WAY off i-80 for me-- but super friendly owners), i refuse to go to the place on 47th street (the girl at the register didn't even acknowledge my existence), i refuse to go to pet connection (not because of customer service-- most of the employees are very courteous-- but because of $100+ discosomas, bearded dragon babies with missing appendages[still being sold, mind you] and for selling other animals that are in poor health.

as for the insinuation that we are yourreef cronies, advertising yourreef-- i'm willing to say good things about any store in the area (as long as i still shop there, of course:D). i still enjoy aqualife, o street, exotic (mostly to see bryan, though-- their livestock doesn't always look so hot), and capitol (only to see how exorbitant their prices can be and to see what corals they have that are nice, for cheap). it just happens that john's store is one of the stores in the area that has great prices, good customer service, and great selection of healthy livestock.

it seems to me everyone that was there to meet the employee of YourReef at CRS are the someone�s that have nothing but good to say about YourReef and bad about CRS, I could be wrong but it seems a little political to me.
i don't know how it is political but the reason i have good things to say about yourreef is because i'm treated well and they have a nice selection of livestock/drygoods at a great price. Aqualife comes in at a VERY close second place. CRS, on my list, falls right above the place on 47th and pet connection.

I guess everybody has something to add but all I know is that I am sad to see so many negative things about a store that has only been open for a little over a week now if it was me I would go into the store especially if I lived so close and maybe air out any hard feelings especially if worked at another store and did that, and if you just bought the frags maybe, ahbrainn should get second try to be more friendly like he has been with everyone that went when they were not there to get frags from someone else:rolleyes: just a thought
Now if I am wrong you can PM me and let me know please or post if you want, Thank you
isn't there a quote out there that says something akin to 'do something bad and people will tell 100 friends-- do something good and people will only tell 10 friends'? high prices, wholesale-employee picked corals (can't expect anything great if you don't take the time to hand pick your own corals), and poor customer service will cross CRS off the list for me. there was no coral and no money exchanged between jordan and i, so i'm not exactly sure why i was treated so coldly.

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 12:04 PM
Yourreef is a great store and he is super nice. I was going there before i was in mars. He always takes the time "if hes not busy with other customer" to answer questions and he knows his stuff...and of course His prices are some of the best around.

I am a customer of johns for life And since I like him and his store so much I tell everyone about it... Hence what yoshi is speaking about, But I do it on a bigger scale...

Marc Daniels
06/29/2006, 12:33 PM
Is it time to allow Brian Ward to come out of hiding and re-enter this forum as a respected member?
He is a business owner in the community now and deserves that consideration.
Ken - Coral Reef Shop

Ken-

I realize that you are just in the middle of things, and for that I am sorry.

As far as whether or not it's time to allow Brian to reenter RC, that's up to RC. He flagrantly broke their users agreement to the point that they banned him. Then he tried to come back in and he broke them again, I'm assuming that he's back again. That's between RC and Brian to work out. Since you singled me out for this question, I want to make it perfectly clear...I had nothing to do with Brian being banned. I have never reported him to the RC mods. Brian got Brian banned.

Now as to whether or not it is time to allow Brian back into our forum...NO! This is the "MARS" club forum. The only activity Brian has cared to persue in this forum is one of hawking his wares, damage control, and market the new store. Just like his posts in the MARS forum at RDO. By the good graces of the club, other people/nonmembers are allowed to post and communicate here, but this is not the Sacramento Area forum. It's our club forum. Since you, Brian and CRS have no affiliation with MARS, have never shown that you wanted to have an affiliation with MARS, you really don't have any room to ****/moan about being a participant in this forum.

Just because he now owns a store, he should get a free pass! Are you joking!

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7652066#post7652066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marc Daniels
Ken-

I realize that you are just in the middle of things, and for that I am sorry.

As far as whether or not it's time to allow Brian to reenter RC, that's up to RC. He flagrantly broke their users agreement to the point that they banned him. Then he tried to come back in and he broke them again, I'm assuming that he's back again. That's between RC and Brian to work out. Since you singled me out for this question, I want to make it perfectly clear...I had nothing to do with Brian being banned. I have never reported him to the RC mods. Brian got Brian banned.

Now as to whether or not it is time to allow Brian back into our forum...NO! This is the "MARS" club forum. The only activity Brian has cared to persue in this forum is one of hawking his wares, damage control, and market the new store. Just like his posts in the MARS forum at RDO. By the good graces of the club, other people/nonmembers are allowed to post and communicate here, but this is not the Sacramento Area forum. It's our club forum. Since you, Brian and CRS have no affiliation with MARS, have never shown that you wanted to have an affiliation with MARS, you really don't have any room to ****/moan
about being a participant in this forum.

Just because he now owns a store, he should get a free pass! Are you joking!

:beer: :blown::thumbsup:

Well Put... Ill buy ya a beer for that one :bounce2:

Mr.Nudibranch
06/29/2006, 01:52 PM
Well if YourReef is as great as it sounds I am force to check it out for myself:D I always try to tell people when I get good service from someone also and CRS did that for me and I am sorry you feel as if the service got was not good yoshi but I guess we all have had different experiences at each store like your encounters with exotic are good but whenever I go the owner gives me the feeling that I am bothering him when I ask for a price on coral:rolleyes: and the list goes on, that’s besides the point I just noticed whenever certain people talk about a store it's always about John's and that’s great if it is as good as everybody says it is I would love too ad another great store on my list:) of favorite stores. Maybe I am too forgiving sometimes, but if I was not I would have never gone back to exotic and got such a good deal on my 135gal tank so like I said I have got good and bad responses from allot of stores expect the few (CRS and Marine Flora.com) anyways I guess I will go checkout YourReef and join the minions that support John:lol: just joking this is funny that this thread has gone as far as it has:p

duec22
06/29/2006, 02:38 PM
Man, this thead makes me happy my tank is fully stocked and I don't need to go shoping for corals any more....all I ever need now adays is salt and test kits, and I can gett that just about anywhere for the same price and I dont need customer service to get it...and hopefully I'll start makeing my own test kits soon...
I have to kind of agree with Mr.Nudibrach that it's funny this thread has gone this far. If I were Ken I would have stoped at the first response and the just made the best impression that I could when the people came to vist the store...but now as it continued and unfolded as it did, I personly don't think I'll take the time to see the store.

kward@msn.com
06/29/2006, 03:35 PM
Have you have nothing else to do, you sound like a bunch of old women with nothing to do but gossip and complain about each other. Give the new store a break!!!!

kward@msn.com
06/29/2006, 03:41 PM
I apologize, for the above reply from Kward, it was not actualy from him, I am using his computer at another store. I wasnt aware that my response would go under his name. Ken did not make the above statement, it came from one of his employees at his store in Elk Grove, and it was stupid and unprofessional of me. I will never make another statement on this forum again. This will also come up under Kens name, however this is NOT KEN.

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7653246#post7653246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kward@msn.com
Have you have nothing else to do, you sound like a bunch of old women with nothing to do but gossip and complain about each other. Give the new store a break!!!!

That is Not gonna make people come to your store. Give us a break.

Incase you have not noticed, there are people on here that have gave he store compliments, But your actions are not helping your store look better. I personally gave the store a good review, it does have a nice lay out and it is new so i excused the fact that the selection was not that great.

But your actions here are not helping. I really think you should of listened to my advice and let it go and let it be. Everyone makes mistakes and mistakes were made on both sides.

But if you choose continue and it will only hurt your business, since you have a vested interest in it.

brianblack72
06/29/2006, 03:55 PM
But if you choose continue and it will only hurt your business, since you have a vested interest in it. [/B]

You can't be serious. The MARS club probably represents less than 1% of the customers that walk through the door of any fish store in the area, and even fewer share the same opinions.

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 03:59 PM
yes it is, but other people from sacramento and NVR club and Bar do come here. People Do also share there experiences with people good or bad, if it is mainly bad then people will express there thoughts and opinions of a situation,

actually mars is quite large, dont know exact numbers but Ive run into mars members many times.

duec22
06/29/2006, 04:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7653400#post7653400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brianblack72
You can't be serious. The MARS club probably represents less than 1% of the customers that walk through the door of any fish store in the area, and even fewer share the same opinions.

I can also tell you that scince I keep a pic of my tank as the background for my PC at work I get asked about fish tanks at least two or three times a week....and when they see a tank full of unusual creatures that they didn't think were possible to keep in captivity they tend to listen to my fish store recommendations...

brianblack72
06/29/2006, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7653579#post7653579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by duec22
I can also tell you that scince I keep a pic of my tank as the background for my PC at work I get asked about fish tanks at least two or three times a week....and when they see a tank full of unusual creatures that they didn't think were possible to keep in captivity they tend to listen to my fish store recommendations...

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to discredit your personal outreach or the MARS outreach.

Most people trust their own opinions and will "check out" any store and make the judgement for themselves.

People are generally "good" and most folks realize that.

The CRS has never been asked to affiliate with MARS, and the owners of the store are MARS members (FYI).

The willingness of the store to affiliate with MARS has unfortunately diminished, although not irreversibly.

The owner's are not "***holes" and have never treated anyone poorly.

Let's just get along! Its in the best interest of all.

Justin74
06/29/2006, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7653901#post7653901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brianblack72

I agree lets stop http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~hobd8260/BeatDeadHorse.gif

-Justin

duec22
06/29/2006, 05:26 PM
lol...I love that pic....strait to the point...

Marc Daniels
06/29/2006, 05:35 PM
and the owners of the store are MARS members (FYI).

Since when?

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7653901#post7653901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brianblack72
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to discredit your personal outreach or the MARS outreach.

Most people trust their own opinions and will "check out" any store and make the judgement for themselves.

People are generally "good" and most folks realize that.

The CRS has never been asked to affiliate with MARS, and the owners of the store are MARS members (FYI).

The willingness of the store to affiliate with MARS has unfortunately diminished, although not irreversibly.

The owner's are not "***holes" and have never treated anyone poorly.

Please since when has anyone here said they are a**holes?

Please dont say things that have never been said.

I on the other Hand have heard things from the owner, But I will not post it on here.

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7653942#post7653942 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
I agree lets stop http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~hobd8260/BeatDeadHorse.gif

-Justin

Hmm if that was done when I only asked.... LOL now the can has been opened.

brianblack72
06/29/2006, 06:59 PM
Edwin --

MUST you drag yourself into _every_ conversation?

Nu2SW
06/29/2006, 07:04 PM
Incase you have not noticed my good friend brian, This is a Forum *And I am a mars member* and is up for public discussion. What Made you come into this conversation.

Why not tell everyone else the same.

Also, Why are you going to PM me and yet post the same exact thing on the forum, Doesnt make much Since.

Got a question. You have defended CRS since you have signed up "which there isnt anything wrong with that" but the owners name is brian and so is yours....

Am I catching onto something here?????

***edit***

It is also obvious that not many people liked the way he did business or care for the store. It seems like you are trying to change there mind, which will not happen. Please just stop and let this die..... We have all had enough....

brianblack72
06/29/2006, 07:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7654531#post7654531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nu2SW
Incase you have not noticed my good friend brian, This is a Forum *And I am a mars member* and is up for public discussion. What Made you come into this conversation.

Why not tell everyone else the same.

Also, Why are you going to PM me and yet post the same exact thing on the forum, Doesnt make much Since.

Got a question. You have defended CRS since you have signed up "which there isnt anything wrong with that" but the owners name is brian and so is yours....

Am I catching onto something here?????

***edit***

It is also obvious that not many people liked the way he did business or care for the store. It seems like you are trying to change there mind, which will not happen. Please just stop and let this die..... We have all had enough....

You're a nut.

Agu
06/29/2006, 07:25 PM
The horse is now officially deceased, let's move on.