PDA

View Full Version : Aqua C Remora ?'s

The Saltwater Kid
06/26/2006, 06:47 AM
Do you absolutely need the bubble pre filter attachment, will it spew microbubbles into the tank without it? What are the pros and cons with this skimmer?

mels95yj
06/26/2006, 07:56 AM
I bought it for mine. I had some microbubbles, but I bought it more for the surface skimming aspect of it. Plus, it hides the powerhead in the tank. No regrets buying mine. It can be a PITA to get mounted and level sometimes, but it's doable.

One tip is to take fishing line and run it through the sponge. Tie some knots on the other side of the sponge. Tie something else (I used an adapter from the MJ1200) and hang it over the back of the tank. This way, you don't have to take the prefilter off to clean the sponge. Just pull the fishing line, sponge comes out and I use a turkey baster to push it back down into the prefilter.

Mel

unmc2001
06/26/2006, 08:04 AM
I never had microbubble problems with either of my remoras. I did try the prefilter box on one of them but I didin't like it. It was a pain to work with and if you don't keep your tank topped off you have to keep adjusting it. It didn't work for me but others seem to like theirs.

LBCBJ
06/26/2006, 08:40 AM
The majority of the bubbles go away after the first 2-3 days, but anytime you clean the skimmer you have to go through this process again. I bought the pre-skimmer not for the microbubble protection, but as a surface skimmer. It has made a huge improvement in my 18g, and with my black background it's literally invisible. As far as HOB's go, I would rate the Remora #2 under the Deltec MCE600

slapshot16
06/26/2006, 08:53 AM
I have the Remora Pro with the skimmer box. The box is a PITA to adjust and you need to keep up with your top-offs so the pump does not run dry. No micro bubbles. I do not like how the box looks in the tank, but I do not have a sump. My background is blue and the box stands out. I am pleased with the skimmer and its output.