PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Pods

EMBRYOGUY
06/25/2006, 08:00 PM
i just got a bottle of Arctic Pods from Something Fishy this weekend. its great stuff.!

my clowns love it. and its easy to feed corals with. simply turn off powerheads and the pods are dense enough so they fall, drop by drop straight down onto your target coral.,etc. also, no defrosting involved which is convient. simply take bottle out of frig and squeeze a few drops into the water. no cloudy particles. all you see are little orange pods.

it does have a shelf life @ 3 months though.

but my clowns LOVE IT and i surmise it will help with there color development. i use it to alternate with frozen cyclopeeze.

anyway, below is the link for more info. but SF just started to carry it this weekend.

has anyone else tried it?

http://www.reed-mariculture.com/copepod/arctipods/

clord
06/25/2006, 10:17 PM
WOW thats cool stuff

ribs
06/25/2006, 10:45 PM
I saw it on Ashby Aquatics website (I believe they give PARC discounts of 10%). I also saw it at East Coast yesterday, but forget the pricing.
Could you tell if the corals responded to the size of the arctic pods? What was your observation on the response from lps, sps.
Thanks!

EMBRYOGUY
06/25/2006, 11:00 PM
sorry i should have elaborated. i think its great for lps, but for sps im not sure. i dont have alot of sps. also the pods are on the larger size, so im not sure how effective it would be for sps. its the perfect size for a mandarin though. i think i paid 24 a bottle.

pricey but i like bec it doesnt make the water cloudy and my fish love it. you can actually see the individual pods.

Birdlady
06/25/2006, 11:52 PM
Are the pods living?

Ribs, I don't think they would be good for sps, as it says it is 6x the size of cyclopeeze, and I think those are too large for sps.;)

EMBRYOGUY
06/26/2006, 05:25 PM
not alive. yeah i think you are right bird, regarding sps.

clord
06/27/2006, 09:12 AM
I wonder if a manadrin would eat those.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/27/2006, 09:18 AM
i think they would eat it....todd also got more oceanpods bottles....that look completely empty :(

EMBRYOGUY
06/27/2006, 01:02 PM
clord. supposedly mandarins do. but until i see it myself i wont believe it. if they do i ll let you know.

MadTownMax
06/27/2006, 02:25 PM
What's the advantage over Cyclopeeze?

The only difference I'm seeing from the link is that they're 6X the size (which for corals isn't necessarily an advantage) and cyclopeeze is still eaten out of the water column by large fish like tangs - so the the smaller size of cyclops doesn't bother them....

I'm not trying to knock a new product, I am just against paying for water - when I can buy something frozen with a much lower water %.

When not frozen, I also wonder if there are any preservatives used in the product....

When comparing price - make sure to take the actual weight of food (not water) into consideration

I'd like to try Ocean nutrition's "roti-feast" for sps/ feeding the micro-crusteacens in my tank (encouraging micro-breeding for supplemental food for corals) - and hopefully someday to feed clown fry....

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/27/2006, 02:28 PM
well....my 6" vlamingii doesn't bother with frozen cyclopeeze...but my 2.5" pbt does.

I think this producy is mainly for lps and fish(hopefully garnering the interest of mandarins)

EMBRYOGUY
06/27/2006, 07:06 PM
no one said its better than cyclo. just trying to share with others diff. feeding options.

i like to give my livestock diff foods.

dougc
06/27/2006, 07:36 PM
None of my fish pay any attention to cyclopeeze. They are just too small for most fish. I need to get one of my local stores to stock the Arcti-pods.

clord
06/28/2006, 07:02 AM
Really all my fish love cyclopeeze thats all i really feed i have all small fish though. Embryoguy do you have manadrins or a store that will let you try?

EMBRYOGUY
06/28/2006, 10:27 AM
next time im at SF im going to ask them to feed there mandarins for me with these arctic pods. ill let everyone know if its successful.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/28/2006, 10:57 AM
Huey, you could try on my mandarin anytime;)
Didn't have enough cash on me when i went to check out and saw them.

bheron
06/29/2006, 10:04 AM
its be great to know if it works on the mandarin. mine wont touch the cyclopeeze i feed the rest of the tank.

GreshamH
07/05/2006, 01:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7651185#post7651185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bheron
its be great to know if it works on the mandarin. mine wont touch the cyclopeeze i feed the rest of the tank.

From my trials at both LFS, wholesale and hobbyst level, I've seen around ~80% of mandarins take it. Some don't, but they seem to be the ones that have been in captivity longer in most cases. Some don't take them the fist few times, but then they take a liking to them and gobble them up after that. Then there's the ones that just don't touch em. I found this to be true with all fish though, there's no difinitive answer for what they will eat, or not :(

Gresham
Reef Nutrition

GreshamH
07/05/2006, 02:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7638935#post7638935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MadTownMax
What's the advantage over Cyclopeeze?

The only difference I'm seeing from the link is that they're 6X the size (which for corals isn't necessarily an advantage) and cyclopeeze is still eaten out of the water column by large fish like tangs - so the the smaller size of cyclops doesn't bother them....

I'm not trying to knock a new product, I am just against paying for water - when I can buy something frozen with a much lower water %.

When not frozen, I also wonder if there are any preservatives used in the product....

When comparing price - make sure to take the actual weight of food (not water) into consideration

I'd like to try Ocean nutrition's "roti-feast" for sps/ feeding the micro-crusteacens in my tank (encouraging micro-breeding for supplemental food for corals) - and hopefully someday to feed clown fry....

Hi Max,

One of the appeals of Arcti-Pods for most, by design, is the ease of use. It's definitly not the same price point of most frozen foods, by then again, you don't have to thaw it, and there's no chance it got refrozen during it's journey to your freezer (freezer burn) Of the top of my head, Arcti-Pods contain: water, copepods, alginate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, and one other acid that always escapes my mind.

Roti-Feast, another product in the Reef Nutrition product line, made by Reed Mariculture, has a similiar ingredients list, expect for 5 million rotifers + eggs, instead of Arctic marine copepods.

We grow the rofiters at our facility in California, but have our artic copepods harvested in the artic ocean and shipped to our California facility for bottling.

Gresham H
Reef Nutrition

MadTownMax
07/05/2006, 12:48 PM
Gresham - thanks for the response, that's what I call customer service :thumbsup:

All valid and good points about the product. As I am a formulations chemist - I have no worries about the citric and ascorbic acid or any of the other "preservative" acids in the product as they are in such small amounts :). It's good to know what exactly what we're putting into our tanks, for me that gives a lot more confidence towards using Arcti-Pods.

EMBRYOGUY
07/05/2006, 01:23 PM
i think its a very good alternative/addtion to a feeding regimen.

gresham brought up is its ease of use, which i agree. its nice to just grab the bottle from the frig and squeeze a couple drops into the tank. its like using flakes/pellets.

also, when i add it to the water, all i see are the pods. very very little cloudiness. he also brought up a good point about livestock liking it. i think most do. but others do not. i have about 12 clowns, and all but 2 of them do not care for it. but the ones that do, are more aggressive towards it than any other food i give them, including mysis/cyclo etc.

as for the mandarins, im going to buy one now that i have this artic pod food, but only after i get the lfs to see if the particular mandarin i want eats it.

RobbyG
07/05/2006, 08:38 PM
Somethings never change! At this point I thought they might at least try to do it right for a few months.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7637084#post7637084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
i think they would eat it....todd also got more oceanpods bottles....that look completely empty :(