PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates and water changes

rescue
06/25/2006, 06:06 PM
ok, so before i get told...yes i used the search option but didn't find what i was looking for

i have been a very bad saltwater enthusiast...

it's a long story and i have become educated and now have put every effort back into my hobby.

heres the problem my nitrates are throught the roof!
if i put down how high you would all find me and beat me with a large stick...its my fault but i want to fix it

my ph,nitrites,alkalinity is all perfect

now i have heard that i can do a water change everyday 15% and that this is the sureist way to lower them, also i have a skimmer and heard that works as well

am i on the right course?

( i am ashamed to admit it but i never did water changes for 2 years just top ups with normal water, i used this stuff that said i didn't ever have to do a water change...ya right)

Billybeau1
06/25/2006, 07:09 PM
Read this

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Good luck :)

Holmie_D_Klown
06/25/2006, 09:02 PM
If you want to get it down a little faster than water changes, try AZ-NO3 nitrate remover. I think you can get it at marine depot. Works well as long as you have a good skimmer. 15% water changes will work but it will take A LOT of water changes.

crustin
06/25/2006, 09:16 PM
imo - you should not add chemicals

fsa
06/25/2006, 11:21 PM
I think a 10 or 15% water change everyday for a week or so would probably help some. I don't see as to how it could hurt. Is this on a reef or pretty much fish only tank? In fact, I have read of people doing something just like this with very positive results.

Frank

bertoni
06/25/2006, 11:45 PM
The problem with trying to reduce nitrate via water changes is that the nitrate level tends to bounce back up very quickly. I'd check the article mentioned.

rescue
06/28/2006, 07:19 AM
thank you all for your input, so basically

a)do water changes
b)make sure you have a skimmer

and i read that aquatic plants are a huge help with nitrates is this true should i invest in some to act as a buffer etc...