PDA

View Full Version : New Coral shipment

Dave Dunbar
06/25/2006, 12:21 PM
Fishing Times in Pekin just got a new shipment of corals in! Very good peices and good prices. Many frags, zoos, and softies. Just thought I would let everyone know.
Dave:)

andycook
06/25/2006, 09:51 PM
This type if post tends to draw criticism for being commercial.

philagothos
06/26/2006, 09:04 AM
If this type of post draws criticism, people need to find better things to do with their time. Unless Dave is an owner or employee of Fishing Times, he is just letting other people know what is available in the area. There's no need to get out knickers in a bunch. If he were an owner or employee, or could likely get some personal gain, then their might be a reason to gripe, otherwise he is one hobbiest talking to other hobbiests about something that they might find of interest.

Benny Z
06/26/2006, 09:13 AM
we've been down this road before.

most of us disagree with it, but it's the way it is.

some of us (unaffiliated with the store) tried posting shipment info for another local store and were nearly taken out by the banning stick.

we have a local cima forum not on rc where we *are* allowed to post this info, though...

andycook
06/26/2006, 09:23 AM
On a message board it is hard to tell the owners/shills from people passing along information so it is safer to have everyone avoid crossing that line.

My comment was based on what I observed happening in other threads.

philagothos
06/26/2006, 09:46 AM
I've never seen any complaints about this type of posting in other club forums, as long as the person was not a representative of the store. Granted, I've only been on here for about 2 years, but I watch eight other club forums and have not seen it be a problem. I guess every moderator is different, and I might have to get used to the ones that run this club's forum, but that seems a little carried away to me. Btw, "Occupation: earth moving equip. tech" hardly sounds like LFS owner/employee.

In the club that I moved here from we all knew the owner of the LFS and he never posted about his store or when shipments were coming. On the other hand, people freely commented about his store, his prices, his personality, etc. There were no kickbacks for any of us, we just appreciated the way he took care of things and let others know about it. There was never any retaliation from the mods.

At least in my mind, Dave's posting was not even close to being as potentially commercial as the recent thread on The Mad Reefer and I saw no complaints in there. This thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=872405) might be an interesting one to watch to see if the mods get in an uproar over it. This one (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=873297) also has some potential. And this one (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=871040) has commercial written all over it, even a mod endorses a non-sponsor LFS!

hcs3
06/26/2006, 12:53 PM
kevin,

posts like dave's (and yours as a matter of fact) are very much not welcome in the CIMA forum (thanks andy!). i am sorry if you don't agree with this stance, but if you want to play in this forum those are the rules. furthermore, they are not debateable (so don't try 'caus eit will only anger yourself and myself more than need be) and i trust in the future that you will respect the boundaries. if you want to post incoming deliveries or inventories for stores you may do so in the private CIMA forum and not the one run by RC.

cheers,
henry