PDA

View Full Version : Layering Substrate

Charles99
06/23/2006, 11:22 PM
I'm setting up a new 240g. I've read somewhere where different types of sand (oolitic, sea floor, etc) are layered to create the sand bed.

Anyone have something like this currently? What percentages of each type are you using?

I will house a mixed reef, with a few gobies, blennier, and jawfish.

Thanks!

Charles99
06/24/2006, 12:06 AM
^

gemini aquarius(t)
06/24/2006, 02:15 AM
well i think with the gobies they would mix it around so it wouldnt really matter and if a lower substrate is larger than the one above it the smaller peices will find there way to the bottom of the first layer

Charles99
06/24/2006, 02:29 AM
i understand that. I think the idea behind is a mixture of different substrates. bits of shells and rocks would support tunnels for burrowing fish. and i like the sugar sized sand appearance.

NicoleC
06/24/2006, 08:51 AM
If you mix different sizes, the big sizes will end up at the top anyway; they are ugly and most sandbed infauna likes the small stuff. Layering is not advised. (Except in seagrass beds, where you put mud/silt at the bottom. but then still only very fine sand at the top.)

Forget the bits of shells unless you are making a home for pistol shrimp or jawfish, etc. The shells collect algae and nothing cleans them. The jawfish will need them, though.

I have half a kitty litter bucket of new, clean small shells and shell pieces from some sand I bought. I sifted them out -- supposedly it was only a few pieces of shells and I wanted them for my pistols. It was half shells! You are probably too far, but you are welcome to it if you want it. Should be good for a jawfish.

Charles99
06/24/2006, 12:59 PM
thanks for the offer Nicole. I'll revise my strategy for substrate... would have been a really costly mistake if I bought 480lbs worth.

JenDub
06/24/2006, 02:01 PM
you can do a plenum type system with crushed coral at the bottom, a piece of window screen and then smaller sand on the top of the screen.

Nicole is right- I used the seaflor extra chunky and the larger pieces all surface and get algae on them. It sucked so I threw it all down in the sump and use fiji pink for the display.