PDA

View Full Version : rapid breathing...please advise

reefheath
06/23/2006, 10:31 PM
Hi everyone,
I have an ocellaris that I have had for over a year now. he has been in his current new home with two pajama cardinals for 5 months now. 95 gallon tank 100lbs live rock. No new fish or invert additions for over 4 months. Amm=0, trite=0, trate=less than 10, ph=8.2, plenty of water movement in the tank with protein skimmer and chemi-pure in the sump tray. temp is 78F.

He is breathing what seems to be really rapidly. He is accepting food and doesn't have any outward signs on his body. The only thing that I can see is an area behind his second white stripe on one side of him that has been whitish looking for over two weeks now. It hasn't spread, only gotten smaller. It isn't bright white but it is slightly noticible. looks like a scrape. He isn't spitting the food out and there are resting places for him away from the current. I am afraid this is the onset of something just wondering what it could be without any outward parisitic signs, no clamped fins, and still eating like a pig. My QT is ready with two new fish in it currently...I will "admit" and treat the clown if i must. Please help!!!

BTTRFLYGRL
06/24/2006, 06:34 AM
Have you added anything new that did not go through a 4 week qt? [Including corals] Whitish film on a Clown, I'd usually suspect Brook but since you've had it over a year, that's doubtful unless it was introduced with fish
I had a similar issue with my Clown a few months ago, after I added some coral..I did a few large water changes and it went away

reefheath
06/24/2006, 03:20 PM
not brooklynella, sure of that. He doesn't have so much a film as it looks like an abrasion or scrape of some sort...but it has been there over two weeks, going on three weeks. No fish bother him, he spends his time defending his anemones from anyone that gets too close. He is very active however. What is a normal clwonfish respiration rate??? He isn't gasping, it is just short rapids breathes.