PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with light timer schedule

Gluestick
06/23/2006, 05:37 PM
I finally bought a few digital light timers. I'd like it if some of you could post your light schedules. I have 2x250 HQi and 2X110 VHO and some moonlights. I would like my lights to be one later instead of earlier, since we both work during the day. How long should halides be on each day? How do you create a sunrise/set effect? I would love to see some of your light schedules. Thanks!

rick rottet
06/24/2006, 06:55 AM
my lighted home tank has a 175w MH. it is on 12 hours per day. i don't use any actinincs right now, but when i did, they were set to run 14 hours and would come on one hour before the halides and shut off one hour after the halides. i have never run moonlights, but they should be self-explanatory.
the actual time pattern is not important, it can be set for the best time of the day for maximum viewing. i run mine from 9 am til 9 pm. when the time changes to daylight savings, they run from 8 am til 8 pm because i don't change the light timer.

tcottle
06/24/2006, 10:23 AM
Pretty much the same here. MH is on a 12 hour cycle and the T5s are on a 14. MH runs 10 to 10 and the the T5s run 9 to 11. I am doubtful that the sunrise/sunset effect has any benefit to the occupants.

Rick - I just purchased a Intermatic DT17 digital timer at Menards that handles daylight savings time :p

epon
06/24/2006, 11:26 AM
I'm home after 5 so mine is:

MH - 2 till 10

VHO - 1 till 11

Based on your heat issues you might find a 12hr photocycle a bit long, I also timer sump fans to come on a hour before the vho and shut off a few hours after the vho.

For your moonlights I'd trigger them on 15 mins before the last lights shutoff, and shut them off about 15 mins after you usually go to sleep.