PDA

View Full Version : Sump Idea

iFish
05/15/2002, 05:01 PM
I am planning on installing a 10 gallon sump on my 30 gallon. I will plumb water to the sump via a Rio 200, same for return. I also have a Fluval just in case. Do you think a fan over the sump could lower my temp 4+ degrees? Any suggestions on istallation?

Wazzel
05/15/2002, 05:08 PM
I would find a way to gravity feed the water to the sump (bulk head or overflow box) 30 gal tank - 10 gal sump = 20 gal on floor in case of problems with the return pump. I don't know about the canaster filter I have never used one. A fan should lower the temp, exactly how much????

dougchambers
05/15/2002, 05:50 PM
I'd seriously reconsider pumping into a sump! It will fail and you will get wet. IMO it's only a matter of time. Realize that even though you are running the same pump for feeding the sump and the return to the tank, one will have much greater head and you will never get them fully balanced.

If you do pump into your sump. Install check valves and control floats on the pump loop.

Just for what it's worth...

Doug

iFish
05/15/2002, 06:22 PM
Please help me then with an overflow. Who? What? When? How? Why? Where?

dougchambers
05/15/2002, 07:05 PM
iFish -

The overflows I've seen are from;

Lifereef: http://www.lifereef.com/
CPR: http://www.cprusa.com/
and I've heard about one from Americle(?)

The Lifereef is touted as being one of the best, but you are going to pay for it too. You can search the threads, but the CPR typically doesn't get great reviews because of the requirement for a separate powerhead.

Good Luck,

Doug

teknopanda
05/15/2002, 08:37 PM
i tried using an overflow box that gets the water out of the tank and into the box via a siphon. they are really poor. overflow fo the tank happens everytime. it's a pain in the *** to constantly adjust the flow of the return pump.

now i am doing it the real way. i drilled a hole in the tank and am using an overflow box. direct gravity feed prevents chance of overflow. make sure ur return pump can handle the water that goes into the sump. remember it has to pump the water up a certain length.