PDA

View Full Version : chromis

ckoral
06/19/2006, 01:21 PM
I have a 65G mixed reef with 120lbs of live with about 75G sump. I really like the way the chromis school. Currently I have a 4" yellow tang, and two clowns, two cleaner shrimp.

Do you think it would be appropriate to put schooling chromis in with what I have?

Which kind are best?

What is the down side of doing this?

How many can I have?

Carrera07
06/19/2006, 04:12 PM
you can probably put a couple in there, but they probably won't school. if you want a schooling fish, you might want to try cardinalfish. i have 3 blue-eye cardinals and they are always together.

Jeffrey Porter
06/19/2006, 07:06 PM
i've got 10 blue green chromis in my 75. they are the dominant fish and always school. had 5 since last year may and added 5 more in december. they all get along fine. also in the tank 2 gobies 1 blenny 1 geometric pygmy hawkfish and 1 16 inch reef eel. everyone seems happy .

ckoral
06/20/2006, 07:08 AM
wow, that's cool. You never really know until you try the combinations of fish, and each fish seems to be different. According to the fish compatibility chart it is a no no to put a chromis and an eel in the same tank.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

but you are not having any troubles. I went to the LFS last night and got 3 chromis. I now realize I could have 7. They are small and group together nicely. Only one of my perc's seems to have a territory issue with them. Its funny to see the gentle clown go after them. I am not to concerned about it. I am still thinking about getting more chromis. I love those little buggers.

Jeffrey Porter
06/20/2006, 05:12 PM
if you want to get more chromis you should get them sooner rather than later. i read that compatibility chart after the eel was added. ain't gettin it out now. nothing like a school of chromis in a reef tank.

nurseturk
06/20/2006, 10:56 PM
I have 4 green chromis in my 100gl tank,had them for 3 yr. and every time i do a water exchange, they lay eggs !! But the eggs have never hatched.