PDA

View Full Version : Tips on collecting specimens from the wild

Asterix
05/15/2002, 09:22 AM
Hello folks! This weekend Iam headed out to the East coast (out by hilton head island) to fail miserably at collecting some LR and LS for my new tank thats being setup (actually iam going on vacation, But on my last day i wana try to collect) ....I will mainly be collecting rocks and livesand...But also maybe a few starfish or snails and anything else like that.... In the trunk of my taurus I am constructing a "live well" that will consist of 2 rubbermaid containers, One for LR and LS, the other for any animals I collect.... I just wanted to ask and see if anyone could offer some helpful hints or anything else that might make me a litle more likely to sucseed at this task... My cargo will have to endure a 10 Hour card ride...so, can anyone give me some hints :)

( I already know iam doomed to fail,so dont tell me that)

loui
05/15/2002, 09:35 AM
Don't get caught.:eek1:

Asterix
05/15/2002, 09:47 AM
LoL, Good advice : ) Jail sucks ;)
Ill try not to get caught..... And if I did, Its not like I am backing a U-haul up on the beach and going crazy! I am only taking enoupgh rock and sand to fill a 29g octo tank... And quite frankly from what most people have told me the rock out there sucks...and if it does, I am not wasting my time with it ;)

thanks

Leopardshark
05/15/2002, 02:12 PM
Asterix, first of all WELCOME!!

second, doing that in here = 5 years in jail.
But, I would suggest , go for it!! :D
I would so the same .
And i don´t think you´re doomed

shag26272
05/15/2002, 02:16 PM
i think you would be ok even if you did get caught just play dumb, youre only getting a little its not like you are trying to sell it

dznuts007
05/15/2002, 02:20 PM
1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 7

Each individual is only 1, but it all adds up. Reason why there are laws is to protect the environment from slowly being decimated by individuals. I say go for it, but if you get caught, you have no excuse against the law. If you knew the law, you're busted. If you didn't know the law, you're still busted...

shag26272
05/15/2002, 02:26 PM
thats true but if you dont collect your own rock its just going to be taken from a different reef somewheres most probabally

Asterix
05/15/2002, 03:07 PM
You are right about the 1+1+1.....=7, If everyone in the world just took "1" rock there would be 5 billion rocks gone...But the fact is, I am pretty much the only jackass stupid enoupgh to try what iam about to try.....lets just say it involves water with a visibilty of 1 " at most, scuba gear...and renting a cayac and going out around the dropoff...tying a rope to the cyac...etc... my main objective is just to survive! ;) If I can manage that, Then maybe ill bring back about 50 Lbs of rock.....As far as the legalitys is concerned, I am 19 Years old, and i am very much used to breaking the law...as bad as that may sound :D

PS, I remember reading an article a long time ago written by someone who obtained a permit and collected in the keys..does anyone else remember this? If you know where it is at online, Let me know!
PPS.Leopardshark, Thanks for the welcome :)

thepup88
05/15/2002, 06:50 PM
you should check the laws of S. Carolina about collection of LR.I doubt the LS will be a problem.I live in Florida and go to a beach where some really nice corraline rock washes up daily,kids stack it up making castles and leave it there to dry out.I have seen some really nice pieces.good luck though

Chelmon
05/15/2002, 07:12 PM
can you take the rocks if they are totally void of life? dried out.

tleip
05/15/2002, 11:21 PM
...after the kayak, scuba gear, pain in the *****, will this be much of a money savings??? :D

That being said:

Those little battery operated airpumps for minnows can provide a little circulation.

Make sure the lids on those containers fit really well, I've had sloshing of water knock off a lid.

A hammer might be useful to reshape rocks that just won't quite fit into the bucket.

Bring extra towels....just in case.

HTH,

Terry