PDA

View Full Version : Why

Misfit6669
06/17/2006, 03:43 PM
are soccer fans so sensitive?

johnski
06/17/2006, 05:04 PM
only some football fans are sensitive, you'll see my national team is Scotland, i cant afford to be sensitive LOL

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 05:27 PM
Because soccer fans actually show some passion for the greatest sport in the world. Passion makes the sport what it is.

Misfit6669
06/17/2006, 05:50 PM
I love football and am a huge Bronco fan but that doesn't justify me being stupid and calling other people names on this board. I have had some fun debates with other members on this board about football but we keep in on the level. It seems like soccer fan gets all fired up when we say their sport is boring and we make fun of the players flopping around like they just been shot.
Brian

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579351#post7579351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misfit6669
I love football and am a huge Bronco fan but that doesn't justify me being stupid and calling other people names on this board. I have had some fun debates with other members on this board about football but we keep in on the level. It seems like soccer fan gets all fired up when we say their sport is boring and we make fun of the players flopping around like they just been shot.
Brian

He is in Scotland, when he said "football" he means soccer. I don't think any of you have ever played soccer. If you had played, or ever been to a professional match, you'd realize they aren't flopping around like they just been shot. The game is at such a fast pace, the slightest contact with a METAL STUD or another human being will hurt. A lot. Especially at the professional level, as they wear the thinnest leathered boots, and smallest shin guards legally allowed. There is some diving, as there is in every sport where diving would give you an advantage.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:06 PM
Well, I'm also a football fan (Dallas Cowboys), but how would you feel if I went into a thread about the superbowl and bashed football and how its played, I'm pretty sure you guys (football fans) would be pretty mad at me. Soccer fans also have a passion for the game and their team. That is why there are always fights at soccer games. The world cup is also a big deal, it unites countries and give players a chance to play at the highest level in the world.

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:07 PM
Note: The Civil War in Ghana was postponed for the World Cup...I don't see any other sports uniting nations like that. I'll admit it sounds fairly foolish, but it's the passion found in the sport and the fans.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:14 PM
Also

People watching superbowl- 90 million about

People watching World Cup- Over 1 billion

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:15 PM
and.......?

american idol gets millions of viewers too, but that is the worst show ever, should i watch that just because people who watch say i just don't get it?
I think not ;)

johnski
06/17/2006, 06:16 PM
Probably its got a lot to do with what you were brought up with , in Scotland the only game you play is football(soccer), but with tv etc going more global there is the opportunity to see the sports that other countries play, so you guys in the USA have had American Football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey , to me all these sports are boring.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:18 PM
Eagles,

American Idol gets a couple million viewers, but the World Cup is the biggest event in the world.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:21 PM
my point is...if it was never and is not currently a sport about which many americans care, and i personally do not like it, neither do any friends or family, why should i watch?

i'm not saying you are wrong for liking it, thats your taste, but don't tell us we are wrong for not :)

johnski
06/17/2006, 06:23 PM
but the World Cup is the biggest event in the world.

are'nt the olympics bigger?

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:23 PM
We're not saying you should watch...no one is. We're saying you shouldn't bash it because you don't understand it.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:24 PM
nope, World Cup almost doubles it. Its soccer frenzy in Europe right now, we just can't tell.

johnski
06/17/2006, 06:27 PM
its certainly a frenzy ok, unfortunately work is getting in the way of the afternoon game.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:27 PM
it's not complicated, we understand it just fine, lol.
WE JUST DON'T LIKE IT :)

so if it's too much for you guys to handle just don't click on a bashing thread ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579491#post7579491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tsquad
We're not saying you should watch...no one is. We're saying you shouldn't bash it because you don't understand it.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:29 PM
You guys are more than welcomed to start a football bashing thread or baseball or hockey or basketball ;)

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:29 PM
No, you don't understand it. All you understand about it is "the ball goes in the net."

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579513#post7579513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
You guys are more than welcomed to start a football bashing thread or baseball or hockey or basketball ;)

But I like those sports too :(

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:30 PM
That thread is closed anyway, but actually the game if very complicated, its not just get the ball in the other teams net.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579518#post7579518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tsquad
No, you don't understand it. All you understand about it is "the ball goes in the net."

once again tsquad with your rediculous assumptions......i guess i must tell you 'again' that i played for a nationally premiere school program until i was allowed to play football by my parents, so i can't speak for everyone, but i understand the whole game just fine.......like i said its not difficult;)

....and i would bet anyone that can understand football can understand soccer ;)

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:36 PM
Once again,

He isn't saying that you can't understand soccer, its just that you don't.

You old were you when you stopped playing soccer? Because once you get older its a whole new ball game.

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:36 PM
It's not just about the technicalities. It's about the locker room, it's about the walk onto the pitch, it's about your brothers, it's about the fans, it's about passion, it's about pride, it's about the W, it's a culture, and for many, it's a lifestyle. No one is telling you that you should like soccer, I'm just telling you not to bash something that you know nothing about and do not respect. Keep your thoughts to yourself, and just avoid ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 at 9am, 12pm, and 3pm.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:38 PM
like i said many times now, guess you can't read too well, the game is not difficult to grasp and i understand everything about it......oops, except for the part where these grown men act like little kids evertime someone slide tackles them?

E-A-G-L-E-S
like i said many times now, guess you can't read too well, the game is not difficult to grasp and i understand everything about it......oops, except for the part where these grown men act like little kids everytime someone slide tackles them?

tsquad
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579414#post7579414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tsquad
The game is at such a fast pace, the slightest contact with a METAL STUD or another human being will hurt. A lot. Especially at the professional level, as they wear the thinnest leathered boots, and smallest shin guards legally allowed. There is some diving, as there is in every sport where diving would give you an advantage.

tsquad
06/17/2006, 06:39 PM
And I'm off to go play some foot(fut)ball. Goodbye friends.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:39 PM
Very well put,

In the World Cup you don't just represent a club team, you represent a whole NATION.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:40 PM
lol....we have every right in the world to bash a non-american sport or any sport for that matter, as do you;)

And i along with others feel free to use that :)

I get the national pride thing and i even(gasp) think its cool, but i don't care ;)

And Once Again, who are you guys fooling with this premise of soccer being brain surgery? lol

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:43 PM
Soccer is becoming an American sport, just look at our team in the last World Cup.

Even soccer fans can't understand the sport unless you are a professional playing on the field with fans cheering for you while representing your home nation.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:44 PM
no, thats not understanding the immensity of the situation.....that is not, not understanding the game.....

....soccer will be a top 5 sport in the u.s. when i grow wings ;)(nascar is even ahead of it and by far...no i don't like nascar)

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:47 PM
Thats my opinion on understanding the game. Maybe not yours

Misfit6669
06/17/2006, 06:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579414#post7579414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tsquad
If you had played, or ever been to a professional match, you'd realize they aren't flopping around like they just been shot. The game is at such a fast pace, the slightest contact with a METAL STUD or another human being will hurt. A lot. Especially at the professional level, as they wear the thinnest leathered boots, and smallest shin guards legally allowed. There is some diving, as there is in every sport where diving would give you an advantage.

I played soccer when I was a child but then I grew up. ;) ( I didn't start that as a bash but like where it ended)

Yeah, I'm sure it hurts but I am also a Hockey fan and don't think anybody is tougher than the Prof. Hockey player. Very seldom do you see NHL guys "Acting" like that.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:50 PM
nascar gets better ratings than hockey and basketball 'playoffs' some races.....mls gets less ratings than tennis and golf too, and fake wrestling.
Thats just how it is in u.s.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:50 PM
NHL "guys" also are covered in pads, you really have no clue about soccer if you played as a kid, because the game was at such a slow pace and had no contact. Also players dive sometimes in soccer to get a foul and give an advantage for their team.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:51 PM
Your talking about American soccer, not taking into account for americans watching international soccer. MLS is nothing.

Did you guys watch the game today, Brian Mcbride took an elbow to the face and had a lot of blood, but he wasn't "crying" on the ground. Also soccer players have died playing the game.

johnski
06/17/2006, 06:51 PM
Eagles, you've said that you don't like it , as a matter of interest can i ask why

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579600#post7579600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
Thats my opinion on understanding the game. Maybe not yours

so IYO, no one but the players on the field can understand the 'game' itself?

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 06:53 PM
not enough result based action....in any other sport on any given play the whole outcome of a game can and does 'regularly' occur....not in a 1-0 soccer game though ;)

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:54 PM
yes, no one can get the full understanding unless you have actually played on the professional level. Does that make sense to you?

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 06:55 PM
Thats because in Soccer it is actually a challenge to score a goal, unlike in any other sport. Soccer takes build up and time.

Misfit6669
06/17/2006, 06:57 PM
Pads only do so much and there is a lot more contact in hockey. How many soccer players are playing with broken legs like they will do in Hockey? That was an honest question, I don't follow soccer so there might be some really tough soccer players that have done so, I don't know.

Stephany
06/17/2006, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579462#post7579462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
Also

People watching superbowl- 90 million about

People watching World Cup- Over 1 billion

American Idol viewers on opening night = 33.6 million

It doesn't mean you should watch it at all. It just means that the more you discount the game as a boring sport, or generally speak negatively about it.... The more likely you are to encounter someone that is going to vehemently disagree with you.

There's just a greater chance to give someone the idea that you are (x insult, y insult, z insult) in their heads. That's all.

I consider it a strength when people give their honest opinion, regardless of its popularity... however, I still believe it should be said with tact and respect.

It's one thing for someone to say "I'm not into the NFL." or "I'm not into soccer." But to say, "I'm not into the NFL because they are all a bunch of ____ _ ________ ____ ." when nobody asked for your opinion will put people who are fond of the sport on the defense.
It just happens.
Soccer is extremely important in certain countries and cultures. To the point of extreme acts of violence, and living in a shack to buy the child's shoes and uniforms.
What may be perceived as sensitivity to some of us, could be an insult to values for others. And the reaction elicited is the same for anyone in their place.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure only like one guy played with a broken leg in Hockey, and I think it was his foot that was broken. It also might be because most of them are unintelligent rednecks.

bulldog12
06/17/2006, 07:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579413#post7579413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
Well, I'm also a football fan (Dallas Cowboys), but how would you feel if I went into a thread about the superbowl and bashed football and how its played, I'm pretty sure you guys (football fans) would be pretty mad at me.

I know most football fans could care less what you would say. :lol: I don't like soccer but I see them as excellent athletes.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:05 PM
True, but being a football fan is nothing compared to being a soccer fan. Soccer fans will get in fights with other teams fans and defend themselves.

beerguy
06/17/2006, 07:06 PM
Do you think that it's possible for you folks to have one thread on this subject where it doesn't degrade to the name calling stage?

Please?

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579659#post7579659 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
I'm pretty sure only like one guy played with a broken leg in Hockey, and I think it was his foot that was broken. It also might be because most of them are unintelligent rednecks.

so wrong on so many levels....first many hockey and football players play with broken bones all the time on every team, and second most players are european(you know the fans you love to align yourself with ;) )

johnski
06/17/2006, 07:07 PM
Misfit6669, yes there have been soccer players play with broken legs, one has even played with a broken neck

Eagles , interesting perpective, take for a comparison the germany game which was 4-2 , in football terms that would be 28-14 , would the 28-14 game be a good game

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:08 PM
no that would be 12-6...our kickers only count for 3 ;)

DougSupreme
06/17/2006, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579664#post7579664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
True, but being a football fan is nothing compared to being a soccer fan. Soccer fans will get in fights with other teams fans and defend themselves.

If this is the difference between soccer fans and football fans, then I am glad I am a football fan. Soccer fans sound like hoodlums.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579664#post7579664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89

....obviously never been to philly or oakland ;)

johnski
06/17/2006, 07:11 PM
nope , 28-14 , nothing in soccer when you dont score for real

Stephany
06/17/2006, 07:11 PM
I answered the thread's question. When are you guys gonna catch up? :)

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:12 PM
then 0-0...because we don't really count the kickers ;)

DougSupreme
06/17/2006, 07:20 PM
The game is at such a fast pace, the slightest contact with a METAL STUD or another human being will hurt. A lot. Especially at the professional level, as they wear the thinnest leathered boots, and smallest shin guards legally allowed. There is some diving, as there is in every sport where diving would give you an advantage.

How do you explain the amateurs who play football with no pads and with the intent of colliding with another player.

ps. most play with cleats also.

johnski
06/17/2006, 07:20 PM
bet you would count the kickers if they won you the superbowl;)

DougSupreme
06/17/2006, 07:21 PM
oops hit return too soon :)

I just don't see the similarities between football and soccer as far as injuries. The rules even state that you aren't supposed to make contact with another player intentionally.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:22 PM
that would be a horrible way to win....but i'd take it and we'd give 'all' the credit to the offense for gettin it up the field and into position ;)

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:23 PM
boxing...now there is a tough sport :thumbsup:

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:24 PM
Where did you hear that most football players are from Europe?

Obviously you have never been to a real futbol game....

DougSupreme
06/17/2006, 07:24 PM
MMA is better ;)

Misfit6669
06/17/2006, 07:25 PM
Wow, we lowered ourselves to name calling. We must have been pretty close with something we said.

Attention Soccer Fans:
This is called talking trash, don't be so darn sensitive to it. Eagles and I talked a lot of crap to each other before the Broncos kicked his Eagles arse. It was all in fun. We both gave each other a lot of crap and we both took it just fine. Maybe we are just tougher than soccer fan because we watch a real sport (Hint: that was talking trash). Well expect for the one time where he stubbed his toe and flopped around like he was shot for 5 minutes. (Hint: more trash talking_

Every time one of you fire back with some sort of name calling, you let us know we were right are pretty close to right.

This is trash talking - The sooner you accept that soccer sucks, the sooner you will grow up and join civilization.

Now, do I really feel soccer sucks? No, but it’s not football or hockey (hint: more trash talking).

Do I really feel soccer fan is not civilized? No, it’s just talking trash.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:26 PM
Football players are pansys compared to Rugby players. Also it seems like a lot of football players are sleezeballs anyway. With all the drugs and murders.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579734#post7579734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
Where did you hear that most football players are from Europe?

Obviously you have never been to a real futbol game....

hockey players.....and obviously i would never pay to go to a soccer game, lol.

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:27 PM
This is what you said

This is trash talking - The sooner you accept that soccer sucks, the sooner you will grow up and join civilization.

Now, do I really feel soccer sucks? No, but it’s not football or hockey (hint: more trash talking).

Dosn't make any sense

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579742#post7579742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
Football players are pansys compared to Rugby players. Also it seems like a lot of football players are sleezeballs anyway. With all the drugs and murders.

more name calling....and how can you say football players are that when you say 'soccer' players aren't? lol

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:31 PM
Actually I'm not calling you names at all, soccer players really don't do drugs like american football players, but it could just be that all professional athletes everywhere are sleezeballs.:rollface:

Also I'm refering to internation futbol players when I say soccer players.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579673#post7579673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
so wrong on so many levels....first many hockey and football players play with broken bones all the time on every team, and second most players are european(you know the fans you love to align yourself with ;) )

Wrong...see read, you were speaking about hockey players and so was i, with the addition of football players to the conversation only for the purpose of explaining their toughness, then i obviouly went back to what we were talking about -- hockey players, and i said the y are not unintelligent rednecks, that they are mostly europeans ;)

Tbare89
06/17/2006, 07:33 PM
Its pointless to argue with someone over the internet, but it sure is fun:)

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579758#post7579758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89
Actually I'm not calling you names at all, soccer players really don't do drugs like american football players, but it could just be that all professional athletes everywhere are sleezeballs.:rollface:

not me....calling football players names, and you obviously were;)

nfl has strict drug testing and although some performance enhancers may be used....that may be because they need to build their bodies up for the physical beating, something i guess you don't get ;)

alright, i'm done......Good thread misfit :)

DougSupreme
06/17/2006, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579742#post7579742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tbare89

I can appreciate rugby players. I even enjoy watching. But don't pigeonhole football players as the only professional sleazebags. First off, when you give a kid fresh out of college who grew up with nothing a contract for $10Mil there are likely to be some problems. Secondly, if i remember correctly, aren't therealways problems at/with soccer matches? Seems to me that football hasn't cornered the market on sleazebag actions

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/17/2006, 07:38 PM
yeah...they are centers for white supremicist groups none the less, they are even know to have 'rallies' :eek1:
they throw bananas and chant like monkeys at black players......and it is 2006 :eek1:

so obviously there's no patent on questionable descisions and bad behavior for the nfl ;)

beerguy
06/17/2006, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579666#post7579666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Do you think that it's possible for you folks to have one thread on this subject where it doesn't degrade to the name calling stage?

Please?

Since the answer to my question, apparently, is no this thread is now closed as well.

It'd be really stupid if a whole bunch people got banned over soccer on a reef keeping board.

Go do something with your tank and move on with your lives.