PDA

View Full Version : What questions should I ask?

cperez155
06/17/2006, 10:32 AM
Here's the story. I have a dog and unfortunately I have to get rid of him. I have been the full care giver of my yellow lab since we got him as a puppy but after starting college my parents have had to take over the duties. Everything was fine at first until my mom developed allergies from my dog. She couldn't take it anymore and told me that we would have to give him up. However, she made me an agreement with me that she would wait till I was back from school to start looking for a new home for him. So the dreaded time has come and now I have to find him a good home. Today she told me that she had found someone interested in him and that she has set up an appointment. I want to make sure that he goes to the best possible home and so I want to be prepared with question I should ask. So my question for you guys is what are good questions to ask? Please let me know ASAP as I am meeting the person today.

I wish I didn't have to do this.:(

Thanks in advance for your help.

kfisc
06/17/2006, 12:58 PM
Fenced-in yard? How often do they plan to walk the animal? Any other pets? Kids? Do they appear to be patient, easy-going people? Is your lab like so many others that occasionally likes to chew and eat just about anything, and if so, are they prepared for it? Will the dog be allowed in the home to live or do they plan to keep it mostly outdoors?

Tough decision, good luck!

crzy4reefs
06/17/2006, 01:06 PM
hope this isn't too late to post

1. Fenced yard
2. What other pets do they have
3. Are they prepared to keep the lab entertained with lots of toys and walks
4. Do they have a vet already for the dog
(if they have a vet find out the name and make sure its a good vet)
5. Do they have kids or plan on having kids? if yes to either are they prepared to train the dog to behave around kids, and not get rid of the dog just because a new child comes along
6. will it be and outside or inside dog?
7. if out side sometimes does the dog have shelter from the elements and a tie out that won't get him tangled up in. also have a water bowl out at all times.

i'm sure there's more but that's all i can think of right now

dinoman
06/17/2006, 01:24 PM
:) I adopted my australian shepherd from a breed rescue and here are several questions right off a form I had to fill out before hand...

1. House_____, townhouse_____, apartment______, other______________

2. Fenced yard?______type, size, height______

3. Number of children in household (full and part time.)_____ages and genders____

4. Number of other dogs_____cats____

5. Breed, age, gender (spayed/neutered?) of dogs_____

6. Primary caregiver of this dog_____

7. How will this dog be exercised?____

8. How many hours a day will your dog be alone?_____

9. Is there an adult home during the day?_____

10. Do you own a pickup truck?_____If so, where will the dog
ride?_____

11. Who will care for your dog in case of emergency? Vacation?____

:) Just some to get you started or to give you ideas....

crzy4reefs
06/17/2006, 01:26 PM
those are great dino,

DHyslop
06/17/2006, 01:39 PM
Do you eat dogs? Y/N _______
Would you lie about eating dogs to get a dog? Y/N ______

crzy4reefs
06/17/2006, 01:47 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cperez155
06/19/2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. I asked most of the questions that you guys suggested. I will continue to interview different people during the week until I find the right person/home for Romeo (the name of the dog). Thanks again

oz
06/19/2006, 11:06 AM
Would you walk the dog once or twice a day ?

Are you aware of the costs involved with vet bills, keeping his shots up to date, etc. ?

Would you mind if I visit the dogs every now and then ?

And last but not least...

Would you ever give him up ?

oz
06/19/2006, 11:18 AM
I was thinking. This is almost like a marriage.

You can have a little ceremony. :D

Do you ___________ , take __(dog's name)___,
to be your dog. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, in health, to cherish with devoted love and faithfulness 'till death do you part.

Then ask dog same questions. A woof of tail wagging will do for "I DO"

Then you can say... I pronounce you Man and dog.

:)

cperez155
06/19/2006, 11:30 AM
lol.

rustybucket145
06/19/2006, 11:45 AM
1. Do you own any Chinese resturaunts?

Nina51
06/19/2006, 12:40 PM
if you haven't already done so, you might check in to breed rescues. the dog doesn't necessarily have to be a purebred although you say he's a lab. breed rescues have lists of people waiting for the right dog to come along.

hope you are successful in finding a good home. i can't imagine the emotions involved in having to part with your pet. kudos to you for not just dropping him at a shelter, as so often happens.

emilye2
06/19/2006, 12:43 PM
Ask if they would mind you coming to look at their house/yard. You can tell a lot about a person that way. Plus, if they truly want to give this dog a home they won't hesitate to say yes.