PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly

gillies
06/16/2006, 06:49 PM
Bought one today at ATR. It wouldn't eat in the shop, so I broke my own rule and got it anyway. The guy there said it had only been in for two days and hadn't settled yet.

I watched it for a while. Its body looked full, no sign of parasites, orientation while swimming was good. It just stayed toward the back of the tank and looked wary. Maybe it didn't like the plane ride from Fiji.

I have never owned one of these fish before. I have read on them, of course, but want to know if anyone here has one. If so, would you be so kind as to offer some advice on its care?

Thanks.

frontosa_man80
06/16/2006, 07:13 PM
i have one and it did the same thing. mine is more active at night and after a while it was eating frozen food that was sitting on a rock or stuck to one of my sps coral. i do grow food for it in my sump and feed it that as a treat. take it slow with them and feed a little before the lights go out.

-jesse

Jayreefer
06/16/2006, 09:16 PM
Try blood worms and mysis shrimp. I have been able to get several to eat them. Also try a garlic supplement on the food. Make sure no fish is bulling him because he will never start eating if he is stressed.

random_ryan
06/17/2006, 01:26 PM
I had one I used garlic in his food also I put algy waffers in the tank for him and he would eat them. mine also liked brine shirmp.

Gooli
06/17/2006, 01:29 PM
i got my first copperband about 3 weeks ago.
He did not eat anything that i fed the tank in the first 2 weeks.
I got blood worms a week ago and he loves that stuff...he also ate some mysis shrimp on one occasion.

good luck

gillies
06/17/2006, 06:08 PM
Day two. When it comes out from behind the rocks, it likes to hover in a large turbinaria. No sign of eating, yet. gooliver, I'll get some bloodworms and try that out. ryan, I 've heard about the garlic as well. Anyone had luck with this fish over the long term? I've been in this hobby a while, and fish selection always mystifies me more than any other aspect of it. I'm always amazed by those who keep a large stock of fish. Hoping I didn't make a mistake here - online reviews don't sound too promising.

Fliger
06/18/2006, 12:23 AM
Try this -

At the grocery store get some live clams, just a few. Freeze them, they should open. Take a frozen one, break off the top shell and toss it in the aquarium. I've never tried it myself, I've gotten lucky and gotten finicky fish to eat - but I have a friend who swears by it. I think you can also use an oyster.

I had a CBB that did great, had a run in with a 6200 though. ;-( Lots of people have had CBB's long term. If I can't get ahold of some Bergias I'm gonna get one myself. I would never buy a fish though and not make the LFS prove that he's eating. Its good for you, its good for other customers to see you doing it, its good for the LFS to know they need to order fish from healthy suppliers, its good for healthy suppliers to prosper, because that's good for the reef. ;-) I just got a school of Bartletts and they're pigs, ATR fed them in front of me on Wednesday - then again on Friday. No sh*t they were eating within 60 seconds of being in the tank! Aq Arts will also feed them upon request. Good luck!

gillies
06/19/2006, 07:18 PM
Day 4. I just got home from work and it is dead. My own damn fault for buying a fish that didn't eat. I'm no Calfo, but I've been keeping salt a while and certainly knew better than to buy this fish. Sadly, it was almost a relief to see it laying on the bottom with hermits picking away - no more worrying about getting it to feed.

I don't blame ATR. I won't ***** about losing $50. Sometimes I just do impulsive stuff and this time I bought a questionable species of fish even after I knew it wouldn't eat. I'm sorry that such a beautiful creature had to suffer such a dramatic end - from natural reef to my garbage can.

My tank has plenty of aptasia - he didn't touch any. IMHO, keep Copperband Butterfly fish on the reef where they belong.

Freed
06/19/2006, 07:27 PM
When I bought mine back on Feb. 10, I made sure it was eating at the fish store first before buying it. It did and it was the healthiest in the tank of about 10-12 others. It did start eating in the QT after a day but only with brine shrimp. After about a week it started eating mysis. Then I tried feeding it black worms which it has been voraciously devouring ever since. It actually tries to peck thru the tube I have attached to the syringe that I use to feed it with to get at the black worms.

frontosa_man80
06/19/2006, 07:35 PM
sorry to hear that gillies. hope you have better luck next time.

-jesse

kirstenk
06/19/2006, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry too. :( I saw those fish and they were very nice. Don't beat yourself up and I agree........fish are hard.

random_ryan
06/19/2006, 09:52 PM
man I am sorry.