PDA

View Full Version : 17 Million Dollar Flags!

NewMariner
06/15/2006, 10:57 AM
With all of this Flag talk, theres a news story on cnn I thought was rather interesting...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/15/flag.auction.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- An anonymous bidder paid nearly $17.4 million Wednesday, Flag Day, for four rare flags from the American Revolution.

The remarkably intact regimental standards captured by a British officer in 1779-80 were put up for auction by one of his direct descendants 225 years later.

"These are inspirational, an extraordinary window into the birth of our country," said David Redden, a vice chairman of Sotheby's, which conducted the sale.

Redden said that during wars of the 18th century, the primary targets in a battle were the opposing commanders and their units' flags, as trophies of victory.

"You can imagine the soldiers carrying them, who suffered grievous wounds and made sacrifices to defend what were sacred objects," he said. "You look at them, and you really get a sense of looking at something that has a great deal of spiritual significance."

The final sales price for the four flags was well over Sotheby's pre-sale estimate of $4 million to $10 million. The buyer, who bid by telephone, asked not to be identified, Sotheby's spokeswoman Lauren Gioia said.

Only about 30 Revolutionary War flags are known to exist, and all except the four sold at auction are in museums or other institutional collections, Sotheby's said. Most are in fragments, with only bits of historic information available about them.

The four flags, by contrast, are in good condition and their histories were well documented by Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton, a firebrand British officer who captured them in battles nearly a year apart.

On July 2, 1779, the 24-year-old Tarleton led his cavalry unit, known as the Green Dragoons, in a surprise attack on the Continental Army's 2nd Light Dragoons, a Connecticut regiment also known as Sheldon's Dragoons, at Pound Ridge.

The redcoats routed the Americans, capturing supplies, weapons and the unit's battle flag -- a banner with 13 red and white stripes and a field with a painted thundercloud.

Nine months later and almost 600 miles to the southwest, Tarleton did it again on May 29, 1780, capturing three flags belonging to a Virginia regiment led by Lt. Col. Abraham Buford, in a clash at Waxhaws, on the line between North and South Carolina.

In a postwar memoir, Tarleton said "upwards of 100 officers and men were killed and "three colours ... fell into the possession of the victors."

The three flags, Sotheby's said, are "the only intact set of American battle flags surviving" from the Revolutionary War.

The main flag is of gold silk, depicting a beaver gnawing on a palmetto tree, the state symbol of South Carolina. The others are gold and blue silk, bearing the word "Regiment."

Sotheby's identified the seller of the flag collection as Capt. Christopher Tarleton Fagan, a direct descendant of the officer whose forces captured them.

The Connecticut Dragoons flag, with an estimated presale value of $1.5 to $3.5 million, was sold for $12.36 million. The group of three Buford flags, known as the Waxhaws Colors, went for $5.056 million, after a presale estimate of $2.5 to $6.5 million.

Why on earth would the descendant sell such a family Heirloom...I would not sell those if my family had them, I would do everything I could to preserve them...

Wilafur
06/15/2006, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565777#post7565777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewMariner
Why on earth would the descendant sell such a family Heirloom...I would not sell those if my family had them, I would do everything I could to preserve them... the answer is simple............MONEY ;)

Unome
06/15/2006, 07:39 PM
by NewMariner
Why on earth would the descendant sell such a family Heirloom...I would not sell those if my family had them, I would do everything I could to preserve them...
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565974#post7565974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wilafur
the answer is simple............MONEY ;) Uh, yeah. $17 million will go along way toward helping someone get over losing some of their family heritage.

kfisc
06/15/2006, 08:51 PM
I bought them. 'Yep, it was me. I wanted to bring them back home here to CT after all that time in that drafty English estate.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/16/2006, 08:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565777#post7565777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewMariner

The main flag is of gold silk, depicting a beaver gnawing on a palmetto tree

:lol:

Hey, that reminds me. I've got an old napkin with a drawing of a lemur chasing an octopus. I wonder what that's worth?

NewMariner
06/16/2006, 08:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7571336#post7571336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
:lol:

Hey, that reminds me. I've got an old napkin with a drawing of a lemur chasing an octopus. I wonder what that's worth?

I will buy it for 500 Million....do you accept checks?:D

der_wille_zur_macht
06/16/2006, 09:05 AM
I'll throw in my book of matches with the image of the porccupine stuck to the dog's back for a cool 8 billion.

Sk8r
06/16/2006, 09:05 AM
I certainly hope that the purchasers have some understanding of fabric conservation---this is not an item you can mount on common cardboard and hang up on the wall near a window. It's a museum job, basically, and that's where they ought to be---not just family heritage, but national heritage, and this is worrisome, that these items may have gone from a relatively protected, lightless environment like a chest to a display. Improperly mounted, they'll be gone in a decade, and lost, possibly without so much as a photograph.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/16/2006, 09:18 AM
I doubt someone would have plunked down 17 gajillion smackers with plans of pinning the flags on cardboard!

der_wille_zur_macht
06/16/2006, 09:18 AM
By the way, I was disappointed when I opened the thread. I was hoping for a photo of seventeen million flags made out of dollar bills.

NewMariner
06/16/2006, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7571501#post7571501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
By the way, I was disappointed when I opened the thread. I was hoping for a photo of seventeen million flags made out of dollar bills.

Sorry to disappoint....but you get what you pay for:D

kfisc
06/16/2006, 11:04 AM
Improperly mounted, they'll be gone in a decade, and lost

You guys really don't believe I bought the thing. I can just tell.

Sk8r
06/16/2006, 12:55 PM
Don't try to fly it!