PDA

View Full Version : Alright Vets and Dog Owners

VoidRaven
06/15/2006, 07:56 AM
Gotta a question....actually I and one of my co-workers have a question. A while ago the wife and I noticed some small lumps while petting Journey, our GSD. They are maybe half the size of the tip of your pinky finger and under the skin. Firm but not hard. Not causing him any pain or discomfort...they are just "there". We've been keeping an eye on them and will probably ask our vet the next time we are in. One in on the top/back of his head and one is around his shoulders. They are not really visible at all but you can feel them.

My co-worker noticed a similar thing on her dog. She was petting her dog last night and felt one on the dog's side. Similar situation...no pain or discomfort for the dog, but the bump is there.

What might this possibly be? Fatty deposit? Cyst? Other? Just curious for some feedback.

jpfelix
06/15/2006, 07:59 AM
i'd guess cyst or bug bite.

kfisc
06/15/2006, 08:31 AM
There are cysts and then there are cysts...ours had one on her paw that required immediate removal; it was a thankfully non-malignant tumor. Definitely worth checking with a vet asap.

emilye2
06/15/2006, 09:00 AM
My friend's aussie has a sizable lump on the top of her head. It is a fatty cyst that will be quite large at times, other times it drains internally and is barely recognizable. I would say, just for the peace of mind, have them in to do a Fine Needle Aspiration to take a look at some of the cells. They should be able to do it right there that day and tell you what they see. Journey is pretty young so i don't think you have much to be concerned about, but peace of mind is a wonderful thing! :D

VoidRaven
06/15/2006, 09:18 AM
Journey...young? He's 6....I thought that was middle aged for a dog! Eden is the young one at 2 - 2-and-a-half years old.

Thanks for the advice...I'll let my co-worker know too.

wav3form
06/15/2006, 10:24 AM
warble maybe?