PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to complain about construction traffic down a residental st?

wav3form
06/15/2006, 07:22 AM
I live off a street that can be busy at times but it's a 25 mph zone with houses on either side. My issue is that a lot of people drive at least 20 over the limit and there's a ton of dumptrucks that go down the road all week to who knows where. If I complained to the cops do you think they'd do something about it or just think i'm an idiot?

I don't mind street noise but i think construction trucks can find an alternate route (which there are a few) and I know i'm going to get plowed into one day pulling out of my driveway. Anyone know if I can do anything?

reefnetworth
06/15/2006, 07:25 AM
let them know there are children that live and play in that area. and you are concerned for their safety. and people who live and drive there. REEF-ON!!!

VoidRaven
06/15/2006, 07:25 AM
You need to check on local regulations regarding traffic on a residential street. Unless the trucks have a special permit for the construction they might not be permitted to drive down the street.

If nothing else, make a little fib and drop an anonymous tip to the police about how fast the trucks are driving down a RESIDENTIAL street where children are playing and such. Bet you'll have a traffic cop out there in no time. And the tickets for those vehicles are not cheap at all.

jpfelix
06/15/2006, 07:27 AM
if you could get a couple neighbors to call also you may see a trap set up.

wav3form
06/15/2006, 07:36 AM
I emailed vdot (virgina dept. of transpo) to see if they can help me out. I'll call the cops if I have to and i'm not normally the complaining type but enough is enough. I work nights and I know it's noisy during the day when I sleep but these trucks do not need to be on this st.

Minuteman
06/15/2006, 10:22 AM
Why doyou care if they think you're crazy? What's the worst thing they can tell you... live with it. the alternative is that they come out and provide presence and maybe some signage.

wav3form
06/15/2006, 10:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565566#post7565566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9
Why doyou care if they think you're crazy? What's the worst thing they can tell you... live with it. the alternative is that they come out and provide presence and maybe some signage.

That's true. I'm always prepared for "the worst". It's how I live my life. :D

Minuteman
06/15/2006, 10:37 AM
Would you like me to call them for you? Then they'll think I'M crazy...

Ocicat
06/15/2006, 10:40 AM
A girl was killed here a few years ago when she made a right turn at a stop light, and a dumptruck came flying through the intersection in an attempt to beat a yellow light (it was red by the time he went through - she had a green), and smashed into her driver's side.

I would definitely call the police to tell them that these trucks are speeding on a residential street.

Ocicat
06/15/2006, 10:47 AM
Also, if you see a name on those trucks, you should call the company they work for and complain to them.

http://www.lawyersweeklyusa.com/reprints/slp5.htm

It may be more effective than calling the police, if the owners are smart and want to make sure the stupidity of one of their drivers doesn't ruin them.

DHyslop
06/15/2006, 11:17 AM
One thing I would NOT do is put up those little yard signs telling people to slow down. I think the kind of people involved take those as a challenge to go faster!

Dan