PDA

View Full Version : Any cigar smokin' reefers?

bennerkla
06/14/2006, 08:45 PM
I'm just getting into the hobby, wondering if anyone else is a cigar enthusiast? If so, any cigars to try out in particular?

Dakafall
06/14/2006, 09:28 PM
the ones that aint filled w/ the nasty tobacco :p

http://www.oldtimeconfections.com/Gum/Cigarlargered.JPG

stlrams88
06/15/2006, 10:03 AM
Im too young to smoke them , but my dad is really into cigars, I always go to the tobacco shop with him. He likes the buteras, the romeo y juiletas, and some cohibas.

Jamesurq
06/15/2006, 11:26 AM
:bum:

neubauer16
06/15/2006, 12:08 PM
i luv cigars..i've been smoking them for the past 4-5yrs....it kinda helps that my g/f's parents own 4 smoke shops in my area.

sandry75
06/15/2006, 12:12 PM
Beginner at both! I like tha darker cigars - Maduros, favorites are romeo y juiletas and Lucentiados (Dominican).

neubauer16
06/15/2006, 12:16 PM
i like maduros too. my fav brands are camacho, arturo fuente, and rockey patels. i also like the pinar 3,000's which are pre-embargo cubans.

papagimp
06/15/2006, 12:21 PM
I like henry clays, cheap and strong.

crzy4reefs
06/15/2006, 12:22 PM
OMG gagggggggggggggg i can't even stand the smell of cigars......YUCK

budhaboy
06/15/2006, 12:25 PM
I love most anything made by Carlos Torano, and the Drew Estates lines(Acid, Naturals, Ambrosia, etc)

AdidaKev
06/15/2006, 12:41 PM
I've always been confused about cigars...I have no family members who smoke them, but you're not supposed to inhale, correct? If you don't, then what's the point? Haha, sorry, I'm a cigar newbie.

Nanook
06/15/2006, 01:39 PM
I like Ashton Belicoso, Arturo Fuente Hemingway, Trinidad XXX, Diamond Crown...in foreign countries I have had some mighty fine cubans...

dave

stlrams88
06/15/2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah forgot about the Fuentes.

BrianD
06/15/2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Cigar_Smoking.asp?sitearea=PED

Cigar smoking increases your risk of death from several cancers, including cancer of the lung, oral cavity (lip, tongue, mouth, throat), esophagus (the tube connecting the mouth to the stomach), and larynx (voice box). If you inhale, cigar smoking appears to be linked to death from cancer of the pancreas and bladder, as well.

Cigarette smoking is known to increase the risk of lung diseases such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Cigarette smokers have twice the risk of dying of heart attacks as do nonsmokers. And smoking is a major risk factor for peripheral vascular disease, a narrowing of the blood vessels that move blood through the arms and legs.

While the link is not quite as strong as with cigarette smoking, cigar smoking (especially for people who inhale) increases the risk of heart disease and lung diseases such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

At this time there are no studies that conclusively show a link between cigar smoking and either peripheral vascular disease or stroke. However, a recent study found cigar smoking, as well as cigarette smoking, is linked to erectile dysfunction in men (the inability to achieve erection).

Because cigars have more tobacco than cigarettes, and because they often burn for much longer, they give off greater amounts of secondhand smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) or passive smoke. Secondhand smoke includes both the smoke from the end of the cigar and the smoke exhaled by the smoker.

In general, secondhand smoke from cigars contains many of the same poisons (toxins) and cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) as cigarette smoke but in higher concentrations. Some of the toxins or irritants in cigar smoke include:

carbon monoxide
nicotine
hydrogen cyanide
ammonia
volatile aldehydes

Carcinogens in cigar smoke include the following:

benzene
aromatic amines (especially carcinogens such as 2-naphthylamine and 4-minobiphenyl)
vinyl chloride
ethylene oxide
arsenic
chromium
cadmium
nitrosamines
polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons

There are some differences between cigar and cigarette smoke, though. These differences are due to the long aging and fermentation process used for cigar tobacco and to the fact that the cigar wrapper is not as porous as cigarette paper.

Cigar tobacco has a high concentration of nitrogen compounds (nitrates and nitrites). During fermentation and smoking, these compounds give off several tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), some of the most potent human carcinogens known. Also, because the cigar wrapper is less porous than cigarette paper, the tobacco doesn't burn as completely. The result is a higher concentration of nitrogen oxides, ammonia, carbon monoxide and tar -- all very harmful.

In a recent study, researchers found that the concentrations of carbon monoxide at 2 cigar social events in San Francisco were higher than the levels found on a busy California freeway. Had these indoor exposures lasted 8 hours, they would have exceeded the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for outdoor air established by the Environmental Protection Agency. While the health effects on nonsmokers at cigar social events have not been studied, there is clearly an increased risk of lung cancer from long-term exposure to secondhand smoke.

BrianD
06/15/2006, 05:25 PM
Someday I will understand why people purposely do this to themselves.

hogpark7430
06/15/2006, 05:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7567985#post7567985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD

I doubt it ;)
(nitrates and nitrites).

These are also bad for your tank.:lol:

joeychitwood
06/15/2006, 05:38 PM
Swisher Wood Tips!

Brian, some day you are going to have to come to visit me in Minnesota, and we'll ride motorcycles without helmets and puff on Swishers.

Buckeye ME
06/15/2006, 06:12 PM
No correlation has been made between infrequent cigar smokers and cancer.

Cigars are for rare occasions, not daily. I had one to celebrate graduation last week, but didn't enjoy that one (CAO Cameroon Churchill).

I've only had a handful, but I enjoyed the Punch the most. Romeo y Julieta was also good.

BigSkyBart
06/15/2006, 11:20 PM
I enjoy a good cigar as a treat to myself.
I am fully aware of the risks inherent in smoking, heck, cigars killed my grandfather.
He smoked one a day from the age of 9 (according to him) He passed away at 97, feet on his desk, along with a brandy snifter with a "little dab" in it and lit cigar in the ashtray.

Cheers to you, Sam!

Real slow killer, those cigars are.

Travis L. Stevens
06/16/2006, 09:50 AM
Can pipe smokers be involved, too. I'm looking for a longstem pipe and some nice tobacco (at a decent price).

snulma1
06/16/2006, 10:25 AM
Brazilias, Uphmans, and Acids when I'm feeling like something different. They have great flavors to them, however I ruined a good humidor by putting them in there. They oils are so strong they infect all the other cigars. (Good excuse for me 2 buy a 2nd humidor!)

AdidaKev
06/16/2006, 11:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7567985#post7567985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
Good call. :thumbsup:

BeltwayBandit
06/16/2006, 12:24 PM
Ashton VSG, La Flor Dominicana, and La Gloria Series R #5 are some of my favorites. L'Aroma De Cuba (sp?) is a good value smoke. Also Davidoff or Opus when I'm feeling really rich...