PDA

View Full Version : Need shipping advice

balz2dwall
06/14/2006, 01:20 PM
I was hoping someone could shed some light on the way to ship fish via air freight. I recently moved from California to Michigan and I wasn’t able to move my tanks right away. I am planning on shipping my roughly 40-50 Lake Tanganyika fish this December when I go back home for Christmas. I plan on shipping them on the same flights I will be on when I fly back to Kalamazoo. I’m flying American and I can use their Priority Parcel service, but it’ll cost me about $250 for two boxes no greater than 70 lbs. and 90 inches in total dimension (L+W+H).
Since I plan on paying the extra cash for priority placement, priority parcel boarding, etc, I’d like to make sure I give the fish the best chance of survival. I’d also really like to make sure that my Aethiomastacembelus elipsifer – Tang Leopard Eel makes it back in one piece and alive (if it weren’t for this awesome fish, I’d sell my other Tangs).

Since I’ve never bought fish via the internet, thus never received a shipment of fish, maybe those of you who have received shipments of fish can give me some pointers . . .

Do I double bag?
Add pure Oxygen?
Use RO/DI water or tank water?
Should I use a product like Bag Buddies or Ship Shape?
How many fish should be placed in each bag?
How much water should I place in each bag?
How many bag warmers will I need?
Is there anything better than an insulated cooler to ship the fish in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cwegescheide
06/14/2006, 01:27 PM
tHE boxes will be too big to just carry them on board with you? I've carried corals on planes with me no problems. I'd think just as long as you could put them underneath the seat in front of you or in the above luggage compartment then your golden. Then you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING. Just make these your only carry-ons.

Chris

balz2dwall
06/14/2006, 01:43 PM
I thought about that, but I've heard of people trying take live fish on the plane and end up getting left high & dry because the bags can't be gauranteed not to leak.

Anyhow, the sheer number of fish I have to ship is enough in itself to make me not want to carry them on as carry-on luggage.

Anyhow, I'll be coming home from Christmas . . . my carry-on is for all the stuff people will have bought for me for Xmas! (:

jpfelix
06/14/2006, 11:31 PM
check with an lfs for cooler boxes. put as few fish in a bag as possible. bags should be half water/half o2. you may want to include some heat packs if it's going to be a long flight.

i'm sure there's something else i'm forgetting.

ediaz
06/15/2006, 09:59 AM
I apologize for not reading the other responses,

I ship clownfish, dottybacks and gobies all the time to CA.

Do I double bag?

yes
Add pure Oxygen?
absolutely

Use RO/DI water or tank water?
water does not mater as long as it has the same ph, salinity and temp

Should I use a product like Bag Buddies or Ship Shape?
no need

How many fish should be placed in each bag?
if it helps i place 50 1.5" clownfish in a full box(20x20x18) bag

How much water should I place in each bag?
for the 50 fish I use 9 liters of water

How many bag warmers will I need?
right now , none

Is there anything better than an insulated cooler to ship the fish in?
yeah live boxes, but no necesary

the average cost for the stuff you plan to ship is about 100 dollars. You can send the fish by themselves, the will be in the box the duration of the flight plus the time needed to unload the plane cargo.My fish have been in boxes up to 36 hours , no problem.

Ed