PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo

Hobster
06/14/2006, 10:57 AM
Coming into work this morning, one of these guys stopped traffic on a 4 lane divided highway,as he casually strolled across the road. I am suprised he made it! We have had lots of rain the last few days so he probably had to move to a better neighborhood. Just thought it was neat seeing one still alive.:)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_UW082

Shagwong Reef
06/14/2006, 01:52 PM
Very Interesting. I've heard that armadillos can carry leprosy and, sure enough, the link you attached mentions that they are susceptible to the disease and that the link between these critters and humans is unclear. I wouldn't pick any of these critters up if I were you.

pi
06/14/2006, 02:20 PM
Have you ever seen one when it gets startled? They jump straight up. I suspect that is why you see so many dead ones on the road.

Hunter21
06/14/2006, 09:56 PM
I had those strolling around in my backyard when I lived in Texas! LOL :D

Erin

Sk8r
06/14/2006, 10:23 PM
Ex-Oklahoman here: they're so sad when they have a run-in with traffic. A critter right out of the Miocene, and there they lie with their four little feet just straight up in the wind---they're not too bright, the little things. Anteaters, as I think. And I'm always suspicious of Texas chili, since I was threatened with armadillo as an ingredient.

jpfelix
06/14/2006, 10:35 PM
i've been seeing an awful lot of them around here lately. they are definately on the move! but i'd do my best to get out of texas and oklahoma too!