PDA

View Full Version : Happy National Flag Day

Crusty Old Shellback
06/14/2006, 08:53 AM
Mine's flying, is yours?

Please do not come in here and turn this into a political thread or get it closed. This is just a post to show support for our flag and maybe educatue some of the younger crowd who are not taught about the flag in school.

Also I want to know if other countries have a National Flag Day?

http://www.holidayinsights.com/other/flagday.htm

When : June 14th

Flag Day, is a day for all Americans to celebrate and show respect for our flag, its designers and makers. Our flag is representative of our independence and our unity as a nation.....one nation, under God, indivisible. Our flag has a proud and glorious history. It was at the lead of every battle fought by Americans. Many people have died protecting it. It even stands proudly on the surface of the moon.

As Americans, we have every right to be proud of our culture, our nation, and our flag. So raise the flag today and every day with pride!

Did you Know? There is a very special ceremony for retiring the flag by burning it. It is a ceremony everyone should see.Your local Boy Scout group knows the proper ceremony and performs it on a regular basis. If you have an old flag, give it to them. And, attend the ceremony.

History of flag day can be found here.
http://www.usflag.org/history/flagday.html

asphaltpilot
06/14/2006, 09:55 AM
My new home doesn't have a flag pole yet, but I'm working on it. I taped a paper flag to my front window instead.

Proud indeed.

My favorite song is the Star Spangled Banner. Gives me goose bumps single every time.

Hobster
06/14/2006, 10:39 AM
Mine is flying. Hung up at 7 this AM.

Misfit6669
06/14/2006, 12:01 PM
I think you need some polls with the Flags

crp
06/14/2006, 12:09 PM
Mine flies all the time. I have a flagpole in my front garden with a spot light on the flag.

NewMariner
06/14/2006, 12:49 PM
Blown63Chevy,

Maybe you could find/post something on the rules of Displaying the Flag. I know if you leave your flag up all the time it does have to have a light shining on it at night. Its never meant to touch the ground. What about bad weather? Is it supposed to be flown during bad weather or taking down?

Crusty Old Shellback
06/14/2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.usflag.org/fiveflags.html

The Flags That Fly 24 Hours A Day
Historical Note: After the addition of the new House and Senate wings in the 1850s, even before the great dome was completed in 1863, photographs of the period show flags flying over each new wing and the central east and west fronts.

The custom of flying the flags 24 hours a day over the east and west fronts was begun during World War 1. This was done in response to requests received from all over the country urging that the flag of the United States be flown continuously over the public buildings in Washington, DC.

Presidential proclamations and laws since that time authorize the display of the flag 24 hours a day at the following places:

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, Baltimore, Maryland (Presidential Proclamation No.2795, July 2, 1948).

Flag House Square, Albemarle and Pratt Streets, Baltimore Maryland (Public Law 83-319, approved March 26, 1954).

United States Marine Corp Memorial (Iwo Jima), Arlington, Virginia (Presidential Proclamation No.3418, June 12, 1961).

(Just noticed this one. That's the day I was born. Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm so patrotic. :D)

On the Green of the Town of Lexington, Massachusetts (Public Law 89-335, approved November 8, 1965).

The White House, Washington, DC. (Presidential Proclamation No.4000, September 4.1970).

Washington Monument, Washington, DC., (Presidential Proclamation No.4064, July 6,1971, effective July 4, 1971). Fifty Flags of the United States are displayed at the Washington Monument continuously.

United States Customs Ports of Entry which are continually open (Presidential Proclamation No.4131, May 5, 1972).

Grounds of the National Memorial Arch in Valley Forge State Park, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania (Public Law 94-53, approved July 4, 1975).

Many other places fly the flag at night as a patriotic gesture by custom.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

It dosen't say anything about inclimate weather. I know we flew it rain or shine in the Navy. We would just take it in at night after colors and hang it to dry. But every morning rain or shine, someone was there to raise it at 8 o'clock EVERY morning. ;)

More info about our flag can be found here.

http://www.usflag.org/index.html

I'm still wondering if other country's celebrate flag day? I know we have other Countrymen & Women ;) here on the board so hopefully they can comment.

NewMariner
06/14/2006, 02:42 PM
BC

"When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea."

Heres something I didnt know(Well I knew the first half about the Flag being flown above all other flags, but didnt know the last half). Why the Navy personnel designation? Is there a signifcance?

Scuba_Dave
06/14/2006, 07:28 PM
Mine is flying
Usually every day unless strong winds - 20-25' pole
I had to dig down & put more concrete in last year when I noticed it was moving. I had added another 5' section to go over the new enclosed porch

I also have 3 smaller flags along the driveway by solar lights

Crusty Old Shellback
06/15/2006, 08:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7560263#post7560263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewMariner
Heres something I didnt know(Well I knew the first half about the Flag being flown above all other flags, but didnt know the last half). Why the Navy personnel designation? Is there a signifcance?

Not exactly for sure why but do remember seeing it done. It may have something to do with being on a ship it's self as it's not done any where else.

NewMariner
06/15/2006, 10:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565006#post7565006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blown63chevy
Not exactly for sure why but do remember seeing it done. It may have something to do with being on a ship it's self as it's not done any where else.

Here I thought you were an Old SeaDawg who knew everything between the 7 seas..........ARRRG ya let me down matey:)

Crusty Old Shellback
06/15/2006, 10:25 AM
OK

It's done on a ship at sea so others will know we are in church and don't have time to kick their butts at that time so they will have to come back later for their butt kicking. ;)

NewMariner
06/15/2006, 10:40 AM
ROFL :D

Thats better!;)

beerguy
06/15/2006, 10:41 AM
I dated a girl in HS who's birthday was on Flag Day. We met because I was in marching band and she was a flag girl. :lol:

Minuteman
06/15/2006, 10:45 AM
:lol:

Funny, but B64C isn't far off:

The Church Pennant has a field divided horizontally red over white over blue, bearing the red cross of St. George on a white background at the hoist. it is hoisted at the peak of the gaff (or in the most suitable position along the centre line of the ship, if there is no gaff) as a signal indicating that the ship's company is engaged in Divine Service.

The earliest known use of the Church Pennant is to be found in Article 10 of the Additional Instructions of 1778. There is, however, a tradition, a picturesque one, that its use dates from the days of the Dutch Wars, when services were held in ships of both sides before battle. In order that these services should not be interrupted, a pennant, composed of the St. George's Cross and the Dutch tricolour sewn together, was hoisted in all ships; it was not until it had been hauled down in all ships that the battle would commence.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/15/2006, 10:53 AM
Think I'm jokeing? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_flags

The Church Pennant has the St George's Cross in the hoist and a fly which is horizontally divided red-white-blue. It is said that it is a combination of the English and Dutch flags that was invented during the Anglo-Dutch Wars to signify a truce during church services.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/Seaflags/miscnavy/MiscNavy.html

The church pennant and the Jewish worship pennant are the only two flags that ever fly above the national ensign. They are hoisted above the ensign, either at the flagstaff (in port) or the gaff (under way) during the conduct of religious services by a naval chaplain aboard ship. This usage is expressly authorized by law. U.S. Army directives also provide for use of this pennant above the ensign during services aboard Army vessels, but the legal authority for this would appear to be questionable. Although these pennants may be flown ashore, they may not be flown above the ensign except aboard ship. The use of a pennant to signal that divine services were in progress aboard ship is traditionally said to date from the Anglo-Dutch wars of the 17th century. The first mention of such a pennant in the U.S. Navy is in a manuscript signal book dated circa 1827. The earliest depiction, from the journal of a midshipman aboard USS Ohio in the early 1840s, looks very much like the pennant used today.