PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles,bubbles and more bubbles.

AndreP
05/13/2002, 07:36 PM
My tank is now set for 1 1/2 month. All is going very fine: water tests all ok, not to much algea,coraline starts to grow everywhere... The problem is the trillion bubbles coming from seaswirl(return from sump) The sump is a 30g aquarium with two baffles, skimmer is a aqua-c EV-180 with a mag-7. I try to put a foam block between the 2 baffles, didn't work. I try a foam block near the return of the skimmer, didn't work. I think the problem maybe from the return of the Durso standpipe, cause wnen the water arrives in the sump it produces a lot of bubbles and a kind of foam.

Does someone has experienced this and what should i do? Should i put something in the sump near the end of the pipe? My tank look like a glass of 7-UP .Please help me someone.

Bender
05/14/2002, 09:27 AM
Hi AndreP,
I have two set uf baffles in my sump that go over-under-over. The left side of my sump where my overflow lines and skimmer sit is full of bubbles. By the time the water gets to my return pump on the right side of the sump there are no bubbles left. My sump is 36" long so I have a little room to work with though. Are you sure your plumbing is not allowing any air to be sucked in anywhere? Unions are a good place for this to happen. Just something to check.

Bender

kozmo02
05/14/2002, 11:20 AM
sea swirls are notorious for producing tons of air bubbles, check your plumbing and trying lowering the output into the water more so it does draw in air through surface agetation. You can find fitting at the hardware store to play with

CSS Reef
05/14/2002, 11:50 AM
Micro bubbles are normal in new tank. It just seems to go away after things in your tank and sump start to "slime up". It's weird it just decides to one day disappear. Don't worry be patient.

shag26272
05/14/2002, 12:15 PM
i think i had the same type of problem and waht i did i was put a plactic cup upside down where the water comes down to the sump and just let it run down that instead of making any splashes

Icarus
05/14/2002, 12:26 PM
Since when did SS's become notorious for air bubbles? I had one in a 60 gal for 9 months and never had a problem. SS's should be airtight if the plumbing is correct.

Try putting some oversize PVC (3"-4") around the piping from the durso. Make it level or a little higher than the sump waterline. That probably won't eliminate the problem, but in combination with baffles, should do something.

obie66
05/14/2002, 02:18 PM
I had the same problem for about the first two months of my tank. The bubbles from the return collected in large quantity on the front of my glass. Eventually, they just quit.