PDA

View Full Version : Can a properly kept system remove PO4 without using a reactor to bind it?

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/12/2006, 06:43 PM
I have been reading a bit and it seems that running a niron-based PO4 reactor set-up not only can cause P.M. in clams, but it is not needed? I've also heard of issues with coral bleaching if added to much too quickly....(just within the last 2 weeks or so, a couple of my clams are just starting to pinch)

I've been using PURA Phoslock in a Two Little Fishes reactor for a few months now(started with about 1/5th the recc. amount and now use about 1/2 the recc. amount), and i am wondering if i can just remove it?
Any reprocutions from doing so? Will a properly set-up and kept system including having as much of a direct flow from drain to skimmer + w.c.'s do what i need?

thanks for any help or input guys :)

pfish
06/12/2006, 07:08 PM
I've never use anything but chaetomorpha inthe sump and a good skimmer to remove phosphates. I've never had any meassurable amount of po4 in my tank using a seaifert test.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/12/2006, 07:18 PM
well, i decided to take the PO4 reactor offline....i will test PO4 to see if it rises.
Should my macro that has been dying due to receiving too little nutrients start to grow and absorb the PO4 now? (then remove with w.c.'s)

pfish
06/12/2006, 07:22 PM
It should. Mine grows like crazy. I pull about a gallon algae out of my 60 gal sump once a week.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/12/2006, 07:26 PM
thanks, i'm happy to remove a piece of equipment as my stand and sump look like a factory ;)

Samala
06/12/2006, 07:49 PM
Eagles, I really did think the reactor might be part of the equation with your macro. As far as I know, all macroalgae needs a good amount of nitrogen as well as some phosphate for growth.. not to mention those micronutrients. Most micro-'s you can resupply with regular water changes. The nitrogen is going to have to come from fish wastes and other sources.

Keep us posted on how this works for you. :)

>Sarah

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/12/2006, 07:50 PM
I will, and i also posted another thread i'd love for you to take a look at...
thanks - matt