PDA

View Full Version : How long can sand sit around for?

ek9vboi
06/12/2006, 05:38 PM
Lets say I have sand from an established tank already and since I do not have my sump/refugium set up yet... the sand will have to sit around for a while until I get everything up and running.

Would it be ok for it to sit in a bucket for about a month before I am done with everything?

reefgeek84
06/12/2006, 05:41 PM
You will want to put a heater in the bucket and a small power head or at least an airstone....That should keep it ok, test the water to make sure everything is well.

fsn77
06/12/2006, 08:30 PM
I kept sand from an established tank "alive" in multiple 5 gallon buckets for almost 1 month -- no heat, no powerhead, just a quick stir of the water in the morning and evening. I'd top off the water level when needed, pick out any aiptasia that popped up, and skimmed off some organic film every now and then. The bacteria survived just fine, along with many worms and other small creatures. Once I got it in the tank, everything was fine -- had no problems with it at all.

ek9vboi
06/12/2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks, the sand might just have to die. I might not have my refugium set up in time, but its ok. It can always be seeded by the sand in my tank if anything.