PDA

View Full Version : Alright people, how are those diet and exercise programs working out?

AdidaKev
06/12/2006, 12:02 PM
Haven't heard much lately from those Loungers who have decided to get out of the Lounge and outside/into the gym. How is everyone doing on their various plans? Any good news/bad news?

I'll start...

I joined a gym for the first time two months ago. I've been trying to go at least three times a week. I've been doing cardio 3-4x per week, 45 minutes each time, and have started lifting weights. I've been cutting my calories and eating more fresh fruits and veggies. The point of my program is actually not to lose weight (I'm pretty thin), but just to increase my overall health and add some definition and tone to my body. However, losing weight has been a happy side effect. I've lost 4 pounds in two months. Hooray!

How's everyone else doing? Hope to hear some good news from you Loungers! :)

Minuteman
06/12/2006, 12:23 PM
Still working good for me! I'm down to 220lbs of lean, mean, beer drinking machine!

TheBimbo
06/12/2006, 12:47 PM
:( well sad to report but my butt has fallen off of the wagon :( Got those stupid shin splints and that just totally bummed me out, then went back out and just couldn't get into it... Still being very good about the way that I eat and have gotten down to 112-113 bouncing back and forth... But who knows, once the weather gets a bit nicer out maybe I'll get back at the walking again...

Christy...:(

VoidRaven
06/12/2006, 12:52 PM
Failed horribly....but, as they say, it took a while to get this way so it might take me a time or two to get back in the ol' exercise regime! I may be temporarily down, but I'm not giving up yet!

Travis L. Stevens
06/12/2006, 12:56 PM
Well. I've been doing an inactive approach to my weight loss. I'm not sticking to it religiously because I'm letting things just flow. Instead of my lunch at work usually consisting of 3 sandwiches (ate throughout the day). I'm now only bringing two. One is usually breakfast and the other is lunch. Also, I don't bring tea or juice or anything. I usually bring about 32oz of water.

catdoc
06/13/2006, 05:53 AM
I was out of commission for 8 weeks due to surgery, did sign up at the YMCA last week. I have the kids signed up for a 4-day-a-week swim class, so that GETS me to the Y. Yesterday was their first day, so I watched them swim and then took them to the childcare at the Y while I did my work-out. One day at a time, right?

Minuteman
06/13/2006, 06:07 AM
EXACTLY!!! Keep after it!!!

BTTRFLYGRL
06/13/2006, 09:21 AM
I've lost 20lbs!! I really let myself go over the past year so I am back on track! If I can't walk, I do aerobics or my tae-bo [sp?]tape [could only find the 'advanced tae-bo'...its a real killer:eek: ] I also do weights a couple times a week...had a little set back last week when I fell down the stairs with my daughters new Guinea pig [cage and all]...don't worry, the Guinea pig stayed upright the whole time and landed right side up...me? I busted up my knee...lol, I can't believe I held on to the cage the whole way!! I want to lose at least 10-15 more:rolleyes: Those are always the hardest to loose!

Oh and Christy, I haven't weighed 112 since I was in jr. high!!:lol: Of course I'm 5'8"... so that's a little skinny for me;)

AdidaKev
06/13/2006, 12:42 PM
Sounds like some of you guys are doing well; that's good to hear! We need to motivate each other to keep it up! :)

Travis L. Stevens
06/13/2006, 01:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545682#post7545682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
Well. I've been doing an inactive approach to my weight loss. I'm not sticking to it religiously because I'm letting things just flow. Instead of my lunch at work usually consisting of 3 sandwiches (ate throughout the day). I'm now only bringing two. One is usually breakfast and the other is lunch. Also, I don't bring tea or juice or anything. I usually bring about 32oz of water.

I guess that I should have noted that I have only lost a couple pounds (four at most; weight fluctuates). But I see that my weight is shifting to different areas. :confused:

Andrew
06/13/2006, 01:58 PM
My Krispy Creme diet is working out pretty good. ;)

Hunter21
06/13/2006, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545605#post7545605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheBimbo
Still being very good about the way that I eat and have gotten down to 112-113 bouncing back and forth...
Christy...:(

I haven't weighed that much since I was like 15! lol I'm 5'10 and stuck in the high 190's :( lol I sooooo need to get on a diet!

Erin

TheBimbo
06/13/2006, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555326#post7555326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hunter21
I haven't weighed that much since I was like 15! lol I'm 5'10 and stuck in the high 190's :( lol I sooooo need to get on a diet!

Erin

;) hey anything is possible if you want it badly enough!!! ;) Not sure how that weight would look on you being sooo tall though ;) ...

Last year at this time I was going from like 105-110... But I was walking like 4 miles a day and was going after it rather aggressively... My son just asked about my walking today, said for me to get my boootie back out there!!! Sooo next Monday he starts football again, sooo I'll just have to wake him up early to watch his sisters, he did ask didn't he:D ??? I'll give him this week of sleeping in, then he's done for...

Christy...:rollface:

Hunter21
06/13/2006, 08:12 PM
lol!!! he may reget that now! but in the end, it'll be better for you right? my weight is spread all over for me but mostly the thighs and stomach! I know someone here in the lounge said something a couple weeks ago that I truly believe and that's if your neighborhood has sidewalks, you're more inclined to get out and walk and get in shape, where as if it doesn't, then you don't get out as much! my house is right next to a road that has a speed limit of 55! :( so I don't get out to walk very much anymore! lol

Erin

keckles
06/14/2006, 02:19 AM
I started a "cut" at the beginning of the year and am down from 196 to 166.

Now, I am tired of being a scrawny little girl so I am bulking back up.

JmLee
06/14/2006, 07:15 AM
i ride 20 miles a day on my bike and on my days off i ride 26 miles with two of my buddies. So i guess great!.

gaels
06/14/2006, 11:44 AM
i'm a size 6 or 8, depends on the clothes, so i'm not trying to lose weight, just to tone up a lot. i've lost a lot of weight inthe past 2 years, so i am working on firming it all up

gael

catdoc
07/21/2006, 10:10 AM
I now have 2 full-length mirrors set up to keep me motivated! We stayed at a hotel last weekend (took hubby to an out-of-town baseball game for his birthday--big 4-0 for him). Talk about a wake-up call! The closet had full-length mirrors on it and that really jolted me back to getting serious about this exercising business!

On the drive home, I made up lists of my favorite foods in each of the food groups (you know, proteins, veggies, fruits) and then put together a shopping list. When I got home, I cooked up a huge pot of veggie soup and a few pounds of grilled chicken tenders. Those are to have on hand for when I get between-meal munchies and they're quick to grab when I'm packing my lunch for work too.

I then bought those cheap door mirrors they sell at Target. Stuck one in my bathroom, one just inside the door to the pantry. I figure the frightening image of someone lurking in my pantry might deter those late-night raids of the snack bar. So far, so good. It's been a week and if I can do a week, I can do another and another. Current goal is to lose 5 lbs or so before our vacation in 2 weeks. I'm down 3 lbs already just by eating smarter for a week.

Doing some walking at the gym still while the girls are in swim lessons and then step aerobics one or two days a week. I'd like to do more aerobics but I'm having a lot of trouble getting to the classes due to a hectic schedule.

Travis L. Stevens
07/21/2006, 10:48 AM
I made a "milestone". For quite some time, it didn't actually seem like I was making progress with the half-arse diet I'm on. I kept fluctuating about a pound. I was weighing 249-250 naked (bad mental image, I know), and as of last night, I weight 248 with clothes on. I can successfully say I lost two pounds in about a month. At this rate, I'll be slim in three years!!1 w00t!

Nina51
07/21/2006, 10:54 AM
catdoc, how do you compensate for not including chocolate as a food group??

i wouldn't recommend my diet to my worst enemy. i have lost about 40 pounds since february when gary was diagnosed with cancer. stress and the fact that the mere thought of food made me want to toss my cookies. i just plain didn't eat. i'm getting better about it these days but since i lost and want to stay where i am, i am doing MUCH better with my choice of food.

gary, on the other hand, is eating everything that isn't nailed down. his goal is to gain another 5 pounds before we see dr. mink on 7/27. shortly after that visit, he will once again be doing chemo and his appetite will go right down the tubes.

congrats everybody on your successes. i have fought it my entire adult life (yeah yeah yeah, i know, 100+ years). for you young whippersnappers, get it under control now because when you get oldER, it's sooooo much harder to do! :D

Stephany
07/21/2006, 10:55 AM
I didn't jump on this when you guys first started, but I've had to make a diet change since I became single and moved back home with the <insert horror music> parents.

My dad is always cooking Awesome meals, and there's much more around.
But, the last couple weeks I've been doing my best to get all my vegetables in and cut out eating quick not very nutritious food... and I've also stopped drinking beer.

I don't weigh myself, I don't agree with getting hung up on numbers, but I'm guessing I weigh about 5 lbs less. It sucks where I lose it first though....
:rolleye1:

Travis L. Stevens
07/21/2006, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7785815#post7785815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stephany
I didn't jump on this when you guys first started, but I've had to make a diet change since I became single and moved back home with the <insert horror music> parents.

My dad is always cooking Awesome meals, and there's much more around.
But, the last couple weeks I've been doing my best to get all my vegetables in and cut out eating quick not very nutritious food... and I've also stopped drinking beer.

I don't weigh myself, I don't agree with getting hung up on numbers, but I'm guessing I weigh about 5 lbs less. It sucks where I lose it first though....
:rolleye1:

At first, I wasn't huge on numbers as long as I wasn't morbidly obese, but after my grandmother was daignosed with hereditary Corenary Artery disease, my grandfather with another heart ailment, and my family tree being notoriously short and chunky, I think it is my best interest to shape up or feel the wrath of a heart attack at an early age.

BrianD
07/21/2006, 11:30 AM
My family has a long history of diabetes, so that is the incentive I have to keep in relatively decent shape. I could always lose a few pounds, but those Blizzards keep calling my name.

catdoc
07/21/2006, 11:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7785805#post7785805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
catdoc, how do you compensate for not including chocolate as a food group??

I get my little chocolate fix by eating one of the yummy frozen Weight Watcher treats. My favorites are the the cookies and cream ice cream bars and their ice cream sandwiches. As long as I don't eat the first nibble of REAL chocolate, it's easy for me to behave. It seems if I get a taste of the chocolate though, something in me snaps and I have to eat pounds of it to be satisfied, LOL! My chocolate substitute, honestly, is coffee.

I'm waiting to hear back from my endocrinologist too. I went in for my routine bloodwork to monitor my thyroid levels yesterday. Lack of thyroid has really thrown my metabolism for a loopty-loop. (I had surgery and radioactive iodine 4 years ago, so there's absolutely no thyroid left in me.) Last time they checked me, my levels were too low but for some reason the doc decided not to adjust my meds. He did say if they were still low, he'd bump me up a bit. Honestly, I think he just forgot the last time. :rolleyes:

dc
07/21/2006, 11:49 AM
I bought a dvd!:D
I'd have to quit cooking to go on a diet, unfortunately I love cooking and eat my own food. Luckily, for being overweight I'm extremely healthy.

PoukieBear
07/21/2006, 12:45 PM
I've decided to go on a diet now too.

It's not that I'm overly heavey, it's just that things that weren't so big before, are now quite big...

I figure that they will be the first to dissapear when I start to lose wieght.

Nina51
07/21/2006, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7786564#post7786564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoukieBear
I've decided to go on a diet now too.

It's not that I'm overly heavey, it's just that things that weren't so big before, are now quite big...

I figure that they will be the first to dissapear when I start to lose wieght.

oh i know just what you mean. my feet got a lot smaller. ;)

PoukieBear
07/23/2006, 10:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7786609#post7786609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
oh i know just what you mean. my feet got a lot smaller. ;)

You get swollen feet too!??! Darn water retention.....

catdoc
08/02/2006, 08:39 AM
I'm proud to say that I'm still on track with changing my eating habits and exercising more. I'm even surprising myself--down 10 lbs as of this morning. I am still doing the step aerobics (2x/week) and walking (2x/week). Eating when I'm hungry but just not the garbage I'd been eating. I think the healthier eating alone is boosting my energy levels. I'm eating mostly whole-foods, pita pockets and my ice cream bars are the only processed foods I'm eating now. We were eating so much take-out and fast food from the drive-through, it's better for everyone at home. This is the easy part of the fitness/diet revamping since I see the results quickly. It gets harder the closer I get to my goal b/c the changes are more subtle.

I like to cook up a big batch of my flavor of the week and then there's something easy to grab when I'm late for work and packing my lunch. If I have to stop and think about what I'm taking at the last minute, it goes badly. That's my problem: the planning.

I also found out that my thyroid meds were way too low, so they've adjusted my dosage. It may not make a big difference, but it is improving my motivation to get up and be active.

We're leaving for vacation on Friday and I'm happy that I didn't have to go buy a new wardrobe since now last year's close fit again! :D

Sk8r
08/02/2006, 08:51 AM
Put on 10 lbs on the recent trip. I've decided to go for the Nutrisystem stuff. I'll let you know. The food arrives today by UPS. I'm giving it a try for a month---and this should be interesting. I'm usually on the ice 2 hours a day, but this is the month the rink takes the ice down rink at a time and refurbishes, so ice-time is hard come by, and I've just come off 10 days with very little exercise time. If this diet can overcome that inactivity it'll be good.

I don't do gyms well: asthma. This and swimming are the only two things I can manage, and there's no pool handy either. So...we'll give the new diet the acid test.

TheBimbo
08/02/2006, 09:19 AM
Christy, that is aw-E-some!!! You gooo girl... ;)

Christy...