PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic sump 3

Reeling Reefer
06/12/2006, 11:36 AM
oceanic sump 3
I have this sump and I am having some problems with micro bubbles, was considering putting in some baffles , but there really isn't room. Does anyone have this sump that has done anything else other then instal baffles to help reduce the micro bubbles? I have a mag 12 internal pump and a ASM g3 skimmer also in the sump. Tank is 180 gallon oceanic reef ready

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/12/2006, 11:38 AM
is that the kind that has the bubble tower and then it sneeks under and loops around outside?

zanemoseley
06/12/2006, 11:41 AM
Are the bubbles comming from the skimmer or from the overflow water entering the sump? If its the overflow water you can get some cheap disposable micron bags from filterbag.com to reduce the bubbles while polishing your water. If its the skimmer you could try to run the output water through a micron bag as well.

Reeling Reefer
06/12/2006, 11:51 AM
Its from the overflow water. Where would I put the micron bags. I have my overflow lines into the water in the sump , I took the top glass part of the sump off, it was making so much noise having the drain lines at the very top of the sump dumping down 6-7 inches to hit the water.

zanemoseley
06/12/2006, 11:57 AM
I run the overflow pipe directly into the water of the sump about 1-2 inches down. Then just slip the bag over the pipe and you're set. You have have to do some experimentation to find the best way to keep the bag on the sump. My sump was shallow enough where it would just stand up.

Make sure if you get the bags from filterbag.com to soak them in diluted vinegar because there's some residual stuff from manufacturing on them that makes skimmers go crazy. After the vinegar soak just rinse in tap water and they're good.

Reeling Reefer
06/12/2006, 11:59 AM
What size do you use from filterbag?

zanemoseley
06/12/2006, 12:02 PM
I don't use filterbags anymore but when I did I used the 4"x16" ones. They easily fit up over the PVC pipe and stood upright. I also cut off the plastic ring at the top when I get them.