PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser....A few questions

dcombs44
06/12/2006, 10:59 AM
I have always used Ocean's blend 2 part calcium buffer on my system, mainly because that's what my lfs uses with success....my question is, how exactly do you dose kalkwasser and why is it better than other methods? I'm sure there is debate like with everything else, but i'd like some opinions....I also read to use it only with purified tap water, does this rule out ro/di?

thedigitalimager
06/12/2006, 11:21 AM
There are tons of threads on this. If you'll do a little searching, you'll find lots of great info. Here's some basic info.

1. You can dose kalk in a number of ways. You can set up a drip system which is very easy to make, or you can buy a Kent Aquadoser. You can also dose kalk through your top off system if you have one (and there are several different ways to do this),

2. Kalk is not necessarily better than other ways, but there are a few advantages. A) Initially, it less expensive than setting up a calcium reactor. B) It saves you the hassle of dosing additives. C) It 's an efficient way of maintaining alkalinity and pH. However, you have to be very careful because it's easy to overdose kalk which is not a good thing.

3. Kalk should be used with RO/DI water. That's probably what someone meant when they told you "purified tap" water.

I probably generated more questions than answers, but that's a good thing. Search for some of Randi Holmes-Farley's articles on this. I believe you find them by searching reefkeeping.org.

Geary

reverendmaynard
06/12/2006, 11:24 AM
You can find links to all of Randy's articles in a sticky at the top of the chemistry forum.

falconut
06/12/2006, 11:28 AM
I use a Kalk Reactor for my 90 gal. My system uses RO/DI water, you will be fine using that. My setup is set to replace all evaporated water with Kalkwater in small amounts at a time. I used to dose the Kent 2 part until I upgraded to my 90 gal. The amount of 2 part needed to maintain the Cal. & Alk. was alot. This was going to be very costly.

I now use Mrs. Wages pickling lime for my Kalk. I simply dump it into my reactor whenever it runs low and once every couple of months clean the container. You can also drip the Limewater, but I had clogging problem, so I went with the reactor. HTH

RichConley
06/12/2006, 11:48 AM
I disagree that its "Easy to Overdose Kalk"

Up until about a month ago, I was taking a tablespoon of kalk, mixing it in a gallon of water, and just pouring it in my sump. No problems from that.

Most of the "kalk overdose" issues are topoff failure issues, where the topoff dumped like 15g of Kalk in the tank. Thats the equivalent of like dumping the whole bottle of 2 part in there.

thedigitalimager
06/12/2006, 12:00 PM
I'm sure that it depends on your tank size, but one tablespoon of kalk dosed all at once can have a fairly dramatic effect on pH and alk levels. Tank inhabitants are easily stressed by such sudden changes. Also, it's very easy to overdose kalk with drip systems.

RichConley
06/12/2006, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545311#post7545311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thedigitalimager
I'm sure that it depends on your tank size, but one tablespoon of kalk dosed all at once can have a fairly dramatic effect on pH and alk levels. Tank inhabitants are easily stressed by such sudden changes. Also, it's very easy to overdose kalk with drip systems. 58 gallon in my case.

Like I said, most of the time people "overdose" kalk, its an issue with the topoff system.

There are the same risks as running a 2-part on periastaltic pumps.

reefshadow
06/12/2006, 12:13 PM
another point about kalk is that it can help maintain levels but is not very good for increasing them. so depending on demand, you may still have to use products to raise the alk and ca.

i've done the same as rich, but i have a large volume and a ph meter. i've also done slurries, mixed with vinegar, etc...

i also use pickling lime. about 1/10th the cost, and just as safe if not safer than commercial 'reef' brands.

RichConley
06/12/2006, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545403#post7545403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefshadow
another point about kalk is that it can help maintain levels but is not very good for increasing them. so depending on demand, you may still have to use products to raise the alk and ca.

i've done the same as rich, but i have a large volume and a ph meter. i've also done slurries, mixed with vinegar, etc...

i also use pickling lime. about 1/10th the cost, and just as safe if not safer than commercial 'reef' brands.

I use some commercial grade calcium hydroxide we ordered in a club group buy. I have a 5 gallon Home depot bucket of the stuff I got for $20. Its probably 1% of the cost of the Reef stuff, and I KNOW its more pure.

thedigitalimager
06/12/2006, 12:23 PM
I use some commercial grade calcium hydroxide we ordered in a club group buy. I have a 5 gallon Home depot bucket of the stuff I got for $20. Its probably 1% of the cost of the Reef stuff, and I KNOW its more pure.

Do, you have a brand name for this? I've been using ESV's version but it's way expensive.

Thanks, Geary

RichConley
06/12/2006, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545455#post7545455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thedigitalimager

Do, you have a brand name for this? I've been using ESV's version but it's way expensive.

Thanks, Geary

Geary, its just calcium hydroxide, industrial or commercial grade. Its a step below lab grade. You can get it from chemical supply houses. We ordered a pallet of the stuff, and it came to something around $0.30/lb.

jimbo045
06/12/2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think you have to do it exactly. You can miss some days and put too much some days. I stopped TOTALLY and use PurpleUp 16oz. It seems the most easiest that I know of. JD

thedigitalimager
06/12/2006, 02:00 PM
Geary, its just calcium hydroxide, industrial or commercial grade. Its a step below lab grade. You can get it from chemical supply houses. We ordered a pallet of the stuff, and it came to something around $0.30/lb.

Thanks, Rich. I'll look for it. Anything to reduce cost in this hobby is appreciated.