PDA

View Full Version : To good to be true?

ERICinFL
06/12/2006, 09:55 AM
I've been fighting HA since I first got my tank. I purchased the tank already established and the gentleman that was selling it, had a HA bloom after loosing power during the hurricanes here in FL two years ago. Anyway, I've been noticing over the past few weeks the HA has been diminishing on it's own. I haven't really changed the way I take care of my tank. I haven't added or omitted any supplements, changed my water change schedule, etc. My feeding schedule for the fish is the same, I may have cut out a feeding here or there, but I'm wondering if this is to good to be true? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening. I'm not complaining mind you, I'm actually very pleased, yet perplexed at the same time. Thanks.

CamBarr
06/12/2006, 10:11 AM
Your tank may be more mature. if it is going away it could be a lack of available nutrients maybe a change in light have you added any sort of clean up crew???

cb

Sk8r
06/12/2006, 10:12 AM
Yes---as the tank gets older, it begins to lose or bind up the phosphate that feeds it. Good management, ro water, regular water changes, and good lighting, and you'll soon trade it for another algae pest :). Mine is bubble, but it's ever so much more manageable. And cheato in the sump is diminishing that.

ERICinFL
06/12/2006, 10:19 AM
CamBarr: No recent additions to my clean up crew. I've always had an abundance of hermits and snails.

Sk8r: Your above mentioned techniques are one's I currently use. :)

Another puzzling addition, is the fact that my nitrates are still between 15-20. My phosphates have always been very low to non-detectable. Thanks for the comments, please keep them coming.

Oh, I have removed the filter sponges from my overflow box. Would that make a difference?