PDA

View Full Version : Killer Allergies

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 07:33 AM
I've had it. I can't take this anymore. My allergies are killing me!! My nose is so stuffed up I can barely talk. My throat is full of phlem, my ears are ringing, my eyes are swollen and itchy and watery...

Joey, can you please preform an emergency sinus-ectomy for me? Just take my entire sinus cavities out. I don't need them. Realy, i don't.

I've tried everything. Allergie meds do absolutly nothing for me. I've tried some natural things too. I've had my feet ionized, i've had reflexology done, I've cut out chocolate, wheat and dairy from my diet...nohing is working.

I'm allergic to hay, straw, gress, pollen, cats, dogs, and god only knows what else.

What else can I do? My doctor is useless in this area. She said to keep taking my allergie meds and everything should be fine. WELL THEY ARE NOT FINE!!!:mad2:

Saltz Creep
06/12/2006, 07:50 AM
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/StarChild/kids2/bubble_girl.gif

joeychitwood
06/12/2006, 08:40 AM
Poukie, Poukie, Poukie.....

The wait for a sinusectomy in Canada is 14 years.

You need a prescription for a nasal steroid inhaler. Once you've used it for a week or two, the nasal membranes will no longer be inflamed. Have you ever tried one?

I also occasionally take an M-80 firecracker and stick it way up my nose. The percussion really clears my sinuses.

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 09:02 AM
14 years? You're joking right? What about having my adnoids (sp?) removed? Will that help at all?

I've never tried a steroid inhaler. Is it something that I'll get addicted to?

Sk8r
06/12/2006, 09:05 AM
Nasonex---you only need use it once a day. It desensitizes you to the allergens. You start taking it before the nasty stuff blooms.

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 09:12 AM
Is nasonex an over the counter drug, or do I need a prescription for it?

joeychitwood
06/12/2006, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544364#post7544364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoukieBear
14 years? You're joking right? What about having my adnoids (sp?) removed? Will that help at all? I've never tried a steroid inhaler. Is it something that I'll get addicted to? I was joking, but barely. (We have two orthopedics surgeons from Toronto here, and they tell stories of very long waits for elective surgeries in Canadia.)

I don't think an adenoidectomy would help much. The nasal steroid inhalers are very safe when used as directed. I don't know if they are available over the counter, but you could check with a local pharmacist. I really think it could help you.

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks Joey. I'll check with my pharmacist tonight.

I guess since it's an elective sergery, it wouldn't be covered uner OHIP. I'd end up paying through the nose for the sergery. No pun intended.

Sk8r
06/12/2006, 09:59 AM
Nasonex is prescription. One bottle [it's a nasal spray] lasts about a month and a half. It's not a decongestant: it won't work instantly---but after about a week you should stop reacting to the allergens.

Pernelf
06/12/2006, 10:37 AM
Allergy shots???

Wolverine
06/12/2006, 10:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544840#post7544840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pernelf
Allergy shots???

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, combining stuff that works differently helps quite a bit. I use Zyrtec-D and Nasonex, and the combination has worked pretty well.

Dave

Pernelf
06/12/2006, 10:43 AM
I love my allergy shots, well don't "love them" but I don't sneeze all day long every single day anymore. I only get really messed up during ragweed season now.

AdidaKev
06/12/2006, 10:51 AM
Wow, I feel bad for all you guys...I have no allergies. Although, isn't it true they can develop as you get older?

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 11:00 AM
Yes, it's true. I never had allergies as a kid. Just in the past 4 or 5 years, they've gotten worse and worse every year.

AdidaKev
06/12/2006, 11:17 AM
Yikes...I hope my now non-existent allergies stay at bay. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a never-ending cold. It must not be fun. :(

Wilafur
06/12/2006, 11:28 AM
astelin and pseudovent should work wonderfully for you.

otolith
06/12/2006, 05:14 PM
Joey's correct. :)

Add a nasal steroid spray to your antihistamine. I would say that you would need more like a couple-3 weeks for the steroid spray to fully kick in. Just stick with it. Then, next year, before your allergies start, restart the nasal steroid spray a few weeks earlier. :)

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I just got back from the Pharmacy. There's nothing on the shelf that I haven't tried, so I was told to go see the doctor and he can give me a stonger antihistamine along with a steroid spary.

Time to make a doctor's appointment. Yea.

Jeffie
06/12/2006, 05:52 PM
When I was younger I tried every allergy med that I could get my hands on( Presciption and non prescription). Nothing worked for me. Finally I tried Dimatap( a very common allergy and cold med) and it worked instantly. It was sooooooo nice to finally feel good after years of trying to find something that worked. It's worked great for me ever since. I get the same symptoms that you are talking about. It's miserable at times.
Anyways, Dimatap has been discontinued, but I found a generic version at Walgreens (after a month or two of panicking because I could not find Dimatap and tried some of the new allergy meds and they didn't work.)
Not sure what the drug content of Dimatap is/was, but it is the only thing out of about 50 allergy meds that worked for me. Thank god Walgreens has a generic version.
My doctor told me years ago- that Dimatap at one time was an over the counter prescriltion drug but it worked so good for so many people that had allergies and cold symptoms that they ended up putting it on the shelves for anyone to buy.- Not sure if this is true or not but it sticks in my head everytime that I think about Dimatap and how it has helped me.

Sk8r
06/12/2006, 06:13 PM
Dimetapp was a good one---but it must have had some problem.
I think the ingredient may persist in some decongestant cough syrups.

Hah. I just googled it. It's still available, and the pharmaceutical company is Wyeth. Like Sudafed, has been taken 'behind the counter' because of meth connections. So they may have it and it's non-prescription now [used to be a prescription drug] but you have to ask your pharmacist.

Jeffie
06/12/2006, 06:21 PM
That makes sense. Even at Wallgreens I have to bring a card from the shelf up to the pharmacist. They take your ID and make sure you haven't bought any in the last 30 days, so that sounds right... thanks meth.:rolleyes:

O'Man
06/12/2006, 08:22 PM
Flonase once a day. It's perscription.

jpfelix
06/12/2006, 09:38 PM
mom does the flonase stuff. she really likes it. i don't like blowing things up my nose so i just stick with the zyrtec-d.

Wolverine
06/13/2006, 07:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7548502#post7548502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by O'Man
Flonase once a day. It's perscription.

I hate the smell/taste of Flonase. That's why I switched to Nasonex. Nasocort also has less "flavor" to it. Every patient I had use Flonase asked to be switched to something else for that reason.

Dave

Wolverine
06/13/2006, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7549040#post7549040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpfelix
mom does the flonase stuff. she really likes it. i don't like blowing things up my nose so i just stick with the zyrtec-d.

I use Zyrtec D also, but the nasal spray still adds quite a bit of effect.

Dave