PDA

View Full Version : CPR refugium

alexk3954
06/12/2006, 12:22 AM
I want to get one of the CPR HOB refugiums, but would like to see it in action. It would be great if someone could post some pics. I am a little confused on how the water gets in and out of the refugium. If it overflows over the whole side, then it will just flood over the center brace of my 37 and make a mess.

pufferpoison
06/12/2006, 01:22 AM
i believe there is an intake and exhaust that hang into the aquarium. I don't have one, was going to get one, but went with the AC110 DIY MOD instead. HTH

alexk3954
06/12/2006, 01:35 AM
So the water comes back into the tank via a tube, not a really long overflow like the aquaclear filters?

pufferpoison
06/12/2006, 01:46 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3618&N=2004+113080

spe934
06/12/2006, 07:18 AM
The Aquafuge has a small (Rio I believe) pump that pumps water from your tank into the aquafuge. It goes through a baffle into the main part of the fuge. There is a small "overflow" type return that goes into a 1.5 " PVC pipe that leads back into your tank. The system works pretty well, with only a few complaints. First is that the overflow is nice, but dumps bubbles into your display. I drilled a few holes on the top of the elbow that goes into my tank to help let air out before it goes into the display (I checked with CPR to see if it would void the warranty and they assured me it didn't, but wouldn't be responsible if I cracked the tube). The second complaint is that the intake tube (from the pump into the fuge) should have a check valve in it. Right now, it releases the water at the bottom of the fuge (which makes for better flow), but when the power turns off, it will back syphon water into your main display until the water levels are equal. I had to account for this when setting the water level in my sump to besure there was enough room for this "extra" water. Not really all that horrible, but can lead to some water on the floor if you don't think about it in advance.

Other than those 2 things, I love mine! I use it mainly as a algae scrubber, but it has taken care of my HA problem!

flameangel88
06/12/2006, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know what the flow rate is?

spe934
06/12/2006, 02:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545194#post7545194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88

I will look at my pump more closely tonight. It isn't anything big, not enough to really count towards increaing the overall flow in your tank.

If you changed the pump, I guess you could make it whatever you wanted.

alexk3954
06/12/2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys. What do you use to light your fuge? Did you use the 50 dollar CPR light thats made for the fuge?

BigJim
06/13/2006, 10:42 AM
The $50 light is expensive. I went with a desk lamp clamped to the side with the bulb that melev speaks about. Total cost was around $15.

HowardW
06/13/2006, 10:54 AM
I use a standard 19" flourescent reflector with a Triton bulb and it works great and the chaeto grows well. It looks like the reflector was made for it, fits perfect.

TWallace
06/13/2006, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545194#post7545194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88

I have the large one (24" I think) and the flow with the pump it came with is very low. I believe it's a Via Aqua pump, not a Rio. I was having a problem with cyanobacteria growing in my fuge and decided I wanted more flow through it. So I routed my return pump from my sump into the fuge. Worked wonders. No more cyano and the chaeto in the fuge is looking better than ever. This did vastly increase bubbles coming into the tank from the fuge though. Not that big a deal though, since they're large bubbles they rise up to the top quickly.

richfavinger
06/13/2006, 12:09 PM
I have the CPR 24 (Large)
I use 3" or 4" of MM and is now full of (FULL!!!) of Chaetomorpha...
I use there CPR 36w light, I know it was $$, but oh well. Still a nice light.
The provided pump is a Via Aqua (one of there low end ones) if I recall is like 160gph or 180gph. I have since replace it with a MJ 1200 for more flow. The setup works very good, I have it on my 75g

After running the setup for about 2 months now, I'd have to say, using the large CPR 24 on a 75 would have to be about the largest tank it can support (in my view). The pH control I get from a jam packed CPR on reverse lighting is slight.

But as with any thing, hey, it's better then nothing! And it HAS lowered my NO3 to 5ppm or less...!

It hangs off the tank frame with 2 welded acrylic braces with leveling screws, as well as leveling screws on the bottom. So level it out good when you set it up, it is very heavy when totally filled.

BigJim
06/14/2006, 09:08 AM
I finally found this link regarding the light:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313318&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

richfavinger
06/14/2006, 11:23 AM
It really doesn't matter what light you run on your refugium as long as it's daylight, meaning 5500 to 7500k, any "Plant Grow" light will do, available at any home center. :)

travisurfer
06/14/2006, 01:28 PM
would this be worth it if it was just filled with rubble and no light?

alexk3954
06/14/2006, 01:41 PM
would this be worth it if it was just filled with rubble and no light?

Depends what you are going for. If you just want to increase water volume, then you really don't need light. Filled with rubble and no light, you might boost the pod population. I am using it for nitrate reduction via chaeto, so I need lights.